No love for Boxing on here?

1,504 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 21 hrs ago by GrapevineAg
DeProfundis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Where are my fellow savants of the sweet science?
gabehcoud
nursing homes?
carl spacklers hat
Checked out with CTE
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Boxing cancelled as an intramural sport when a boxer died in a match - about 1950.
BoomGoesThe
There have been a couple attempts at boxing threads on here, but they end up dying (much like the way sport itself is consumed by the general public). It's my favorite sport by far, but even my interest wanes at times. Between Showtime getting out the business (even there last two years stunk), top fighter's inactivity and the lack of big fights being made with any type of consistency, it's a tough sell.

It's also too dang expensive. Showtime was $150 a year, ESPN+ $140, DAZN $250 (for a crap product the last two years, after 3 years of being an excellent value at $99 and then $125) and then with so many of the big fights (especially PBC) going to PPV at $85 a clip; it costs over $1,000 a year to watch a hit or miss product….that you have to stay up until midnight to watch the main event. I still love it, though.
DeProfundis
BoomGoesThe said:

There have been a couple attempts at boxing threads on here, but they end up dying (much like the way sport itself is consumed by the general public). It's my favorite sport by far, but even my interest wanes at times. Between Showtime getting out the business (even there last two years stunk), top fighter's inactivity and the lack of big fights being made with any type of consistency, it's a tough sell.

It's also too dang expensive. Showtime was $150 a year, ESPN+ $140, DAZN $250 (for a crap product the last two years, after 3 years of being an excellent value at $99 and then $125) and then with so many of the big fights (especially PBC) going to PPV at $85 a clip; it costs over $1,000 a year to watch a hit or miss product….that you have to stay up until midnight to watch the main event. I still love it, though.

Shoot brother I'm an addict, I probably spend $600 a month between UFC and Boxing PPV and have DAZN, and FITE. UFC is entertaining but boxing is my passion.

Watching Diaz vs Rodriguez right now on the undercard of the Ford vs Kholmatov fight.

I actually like DAZN, I thought their day of reckoning in Saudi Arabia was the best day of boxing for the price in the last 40 years or so.

Looking forward to Joshua vs Ngannou next week. I think Tyson Fury might be crazy overrated after seeing how Wallin was destroyed by Joshua and how Wilder was manhandled by a Parker who struggled (and probably lost) with Chisora less than 3 years ago.
AG
Right here, dude. The square circle is the truest test of athletic skill, power, grace, character, and the sheer will to win of any sport in the world.
DeProfundis
4 said:

Right here, dude. The square circle is the truest test of athletic skill, power, grace, character, and the sheer will to win of any sport in the world.

God bless you. Finally another fan. I'm very excited with the state of boxing right now. Ngannou has been put in his place, Joshua is ascendant. Parker is revitalized under Andy Lee, Fury has a giant question mark over his wins after Parker's domination of Wilder and Fury's marginal decision over Ngannou before Joshua's round 2 dismantling. And that's just the Heavyweights! Beterbiev v Bivol will be sensational, Benavidez has multiple division champ written all over him. Morrel is out for blood, Teofimo is fun again and no longer suicidal, Haney and pretty boy Garcia are fighting soon. And the newly accounted Canelo vs Munguia I will be ringside for.

AG
Agree with all that except Teo. He and his dumbass father are easy to root against.

Looking forward to seeing Loma fight again soon. I just don't understand why he's down to fighting only one fight, MAYBE 2 per year. Age, I guess.

Those 400 amateur fights appear to be catching up to him. But at his best, that guy is inhuman.
DeProfundis
How the mighty have fallen. Joe Joyce on one of the early fights in the card against Kash Ali, the boxrec #187th ranked Heavyweight in the world.

Enjoy the slump buster Joe.
Tanker123
This is a wonderful story about a boxer who went 46-0. Beat Everyone! The Most Underrated Champion in History - Joe Calzaghe (youtube.com)
Petrino1
Garcia is absolutely off his rocker but he is certainly creating lots of buzz around the fight this weekend. Havent been this excited about a fight in a long time.
Scientific
AG
The match was much more entertaining than I would've ever thought. Garcia will probably never fight at 140 again, and Tank isn't going to move up in weight.

This year will be a great year for the sport. Between all the young stars--Shakur, Tank, Pitbull, Teo, Garcia, Haney, Benavidez.....I'm hoping we get more of these kinds of matches. And bring the excitement back to the lighter divisions.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Wow, this thread is dead, but if anyone fancies getting up at around 3 am, ESPN+ will be showing FOUR title fights back-to-back, capped off by Naoya "The Monster" Inoue (consensus pound-for-pound #2) facing off against Luis Nery of Mexico, for Inoue's undisputed junior featherweight titles.

If you haven't seen The Monster fight, you are missing out. He demolishes people.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
GrapevineAg
AG
Thanks for the heads-up. After the Stars game 7 win and a few cervezas, I decided to get some sleep and watch the fights today. Kind of ho-hum until the main event which was very entertaining.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
GrapevineAg said:

Thanks for the heads-up. After the Stars game 7 win and a few cervezas, I decided to get some sleep and watch the fights today. Kind of ho-hum until the main event which was very entertaining.
Agree. None of the first three fights were terrible, but none of them were very good, either.

Nery shouldn't have called Inoue "very average", and definitely shouldn't have knocked him down. That just made him mad.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
GrapevineAg
AG
YokelRidesAgain said:

Nery shouldn't have called Inoue "very average", and definitely shouldn't have knocked him down. That just made him mad.
LOL, not the best plan!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.