No love for Boxing on here?

2,507 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by BudFox7
DeProfundis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Where are my fellow savants of the sweet science?
gabehcoud
nursing homes?
carl spacklers hat
Checked out with CTE
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Boxing cancelled as an intramural sport when a boxer died in a match - about 1950.
BoomGoesThe
There have been a couple attempts at boxing threads on here, but they end up dying (much like the way sport itself is consumed by the general public). It's my favorite sport by far, but even my interest wanes at times. Between Showtime getting out the business (even there last two years stunk), top fighter's inactivity and the lack of big fights being made with any type of consistency, it's a tough sell.

It's also too dang expensive. Showtime was $150 a year, ESPN+ $140, DAZN $250 (for a crap product the last two years, after 3 years of being an excellent value at $99 and then $125) and then with so many of the big fights (especially PBC) going to PPV at $85 a clip; it costs over $1,000 a year to watch a hit or miss product….that you have to stay up until midnight to watch the main event. I still love it, though.
DeProfundis
BoomGoesThe said:

There have been a couple attempts at boxing threads on here, but they end up dying (much like the way sport itself is consumed by the general public). It's my favorite sport by far, but even my interest wanes at times. Between Showtime getting out the business (even there last two years stunk), top fighter's inactivity and the lack of big fights being made with any type of consistency, it's a tough sell.

It's also too dang expensive. Showtime was $150 a year, ESPN+ $140, DAZN $250 (for a crap product the last two years, after 3 years of being an excellent value at $99 and then $125) and then with so many of the big fights (especially PBC) going to PPV at $85 a clip; it costs over $1,000 a year to watch a hit or miss product….that you have to stay up until midnight to watch the main event. I still love it, though.

Shoot brother I'm an addict, I probably spend $600 a month between UFC and Boxing PPV and have DAZN, and FITE. UFC is entertaining but boxing is my passion.

Watching Diaz vs Rodriguez right now on the undercard of the Ford vs Kholmatov fight.

I actually like DAZN, I thought their day of reckoning in Saudi Arabia was the best day of boxing for the price in the last 40 years or so.

Looking forward to Joshua vs Ngannou next week. I think Tyson Fury might be crazy overrated after seeing how Wallin was destroyed by Joshua and how Wilder was manhandled by a Parker who struggled (and probably lost) with Chisora less than 3 years ago.
AG
Right here, dude. The square circle is the truest test of athletic skill, power, grace, character, and the sheer will to win of any sport in the world.
DeProfundis
4 said:

Right here, dude. The square circle is the truest test of athletic skill, power, grace, character, and the sheer will to win of any sport in the world.

God bless you. Finally another fan. I'm very excited with the state of boxing right now. Ngannou has been put in his place, Joshua is ascendant. Parker is revitalized under Andy Lee, Fury has a giant question mark over his wins after Parker's domination of Wilder and Fury's marginal decision over Ngannou before Joshua's round 2 dismantling. And that's just the Heavyweights! Beterbiev v Bivol will be sensational, Benavidez has multiple division champ written all over him. Morrel is out for blood, Teofimo is fun again and no longer suicidal, Haney and pretty boy Garcia are fighting soon. And the newly accounted Canelo vs Munguia I will be ringside for.

AG
Agree with all that except Teo. He and his dumbass father are easy to root against.

Looking forward to seeing Loma fight again soon. I just don't understand why he's down to fighting only one fight, MAYBE 2 per year. Age, I guess.

Those 400 amateur fights appear to be catching up to him. But at his best, that guy is inhuman.
DeProfundis
How the mighty have fallen. Joe Joyce on one of the early fights in the card against Kash Ali, the boxrec #187th ranked Heavyweight in the world.

Enjoy the slump buster Joe.
Tanker123
This is a wonderful story about a boxer who went 46-0. Beat Everyone! The Most Underrated Champion in History - Joe Calzaghe (youtube.com)
Petrino1
Garcia is absolutely off his rocker but he is certainly creating lots of buzz around the fight this weekend. Havent been this excited about a fight in a long time.
Scientific
AG
The match was much more entertaining than I would've ever thought. Garcia will probably never fight at 140 again, and Tank isn't going to move up in weight.

This year will be a great year for the sport. Between all the young stars--Shakur, Tank, Pitbull, Teo, Garcia, Haney, Benavidez.....I'm hoping we get more of these kinds of matches. And bring the excitement back to the lighter divisions.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Wow, this thread is dead, but if anyone fancies getting up at around 3 am, ESPN+ will be showing FOUR title fights back-to-back, capped off by Naoya "The Monster" Inoue (consensus pound-for-pound #2) facing off against Luis Nery of Mexico, for Inoue's undisputed junior featherweight titles.

If you haven't seen The Monster fight, you are missing out. He demolishes people.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
GrapevineAg
AG
Thanks for the heads-up. After the Stars game 7 win and a few cervezas, I decided to get some sleep and watch the fights today. Kind of ho-hum until the main event which was very entertaining.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
GrapevineAg said:

Thanks for the heads-up. After the Stars game 7 win and a few cervezas, I decided to get some sleep and watch the fights today. Kind of ho-hum until the main event which was very entertaining.
Agree. None of the first three fights were terrible, but none of them were very good, either.

Nery shouldn't have called Inoue "very average", and definitely shouldn't have knocked him down. That just made him mad.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
GrapevineAg
AG
YokelRidesAgain said:

Nery shouldn't have called Inoue "very average", and definitely shouldn't have knocked him down. That just made him mad.
LOL, not the best plan!
Bunk Moreland
This thread isn't active tonight?! Shame on you boxing afficionados
GrapevineAg
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

DVR'ed it to watch after the Stars game & postgame.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Honestly I forgot about the Lomachenko fight. Not surprised at the outcome. Kambosos' only top result was a victory over Teofimo Lopez, during which Lopez was reportedly experiencing a potentially life threatening medical issue.

Huge boxing day next Saturday, with Usyk and Fury finally facing off for the undisputed heavyweight title (I like Usyk to win, although based on recent photos Fury appears to be taking the prep for this fight seriously) and two of the best cruiserweights fighting for a title on the undercard. Later that night, Emanuel Navarrete fights for a lightweight title on ESPN+.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
All right, fight fans! I paid my 76 bucks for tomorrow's festivities.

Who do we like??
Bunk Moreland
Honestly can't decide who I'm rooting for. Huge Fury fan but I love Usyk as well. Hope it's an epic fight.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Undercard bouts on the Fury-Usyk card.

A badly faded Sergey "Krusher" Kovalev dominated by a fringe cruiserweight prospect in what should be the last fight of his career.

Top 10 British lightweight, southpaw Mark Chamberlain, demolishes a veteran opponent with a brutal 1st round knockout.

Couple of heavyweight bouts coming up before the three title fights.

YokelRidesAgain
AG
Remember the name Moses Itauma, a 19 year old British heavyweight with knockout power from both sides. Explosive 2 round knockout over a veteran opponent.

Cuban heavyweight Frank Sanchez knocked out by a body shot in the first loss of his career by undefeated German Agit Kabayel, who is line for a title shot next year.

Three title bouts up next!
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Great fight for the IBF junior lightweight title, as Anthony Cachace of Northern Ireland seizes his moment and defeats former champion Joe Cordina (previously ranked #3 by Ring magazine) by 8th round stoppage. The fight was altered when Cordina was badly hurt by a punch off a break in the 3rd.

Ring cruiserweight champ Jai Opetaia is fighting former champion Mairis Briedis in what has been a boring fight through 4.

ETA: Opetaia claims the vacant IBF belt after winning most to all of 9 dull rounds, before getting hurt in the 10th and hanging on.

Fury-Usyk are next!!
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Michael Buffer giving the introductions! LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!

Rounds 1-3: Close rounds with Usyk the aggressor and landing the cleaner power shots, but often held off by Fury's jab. Fury able to tie him up for the first time in the third.

Round 4: Fury showboating, his massive size advantage may be beginning to tell.

Round 5: Usyk cut, Fury pounding the body and may be taking control.

Round 6: Usyk noticeably rocked for the first time. He can't take 6 more rounds of this.

Round 7: Much better round for Usyk, who landed his left several times. Surprisingly, he looks the more tired of the two. I've got it 5-2 Fury.

Round 8: Big round for Usyk! Fury bleeding now as well--great fight!

Round 9: FURY DOWN!!! Looks out on his feet.

Round 10: Fury gets his wits back around him but drops another round. Usyk 95-94.

Round 11: Close round but Usyk closes strong. Usyk 105-103.

Round 12: Good moments from both men but I'll give the round to Fury. I have this one 114-113 Usyk, but there were a lot of close rounds early. Regardless of the decision, we'll see this one again.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Usyk takes the bout by split decision, 115-112, 114-113 for him and 114-113 for Fury. The knockdown won it for him.

Nice to see boxing not screw up the decision, for once, in one of the biggest fights in years.
AG
Not sure what fight the judge was watching who scored 114-113 in favor of Fury???

Any fight other than the UD HW Championship and the ref calls a TKO in the 9th.

Usyk won that fight outright
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Honestly can't decide who I'm rooting for. Huge Fury fan but I love Usyk as well. Hope it's an epic fight.

You got your wish.

Rematch in October
Bunk Moreland
Loved everything in that fight. Can't wait for the rematch.
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Can't believe I missed the Loma fight.

In his prime, he may have been the best pure boxer I've ever seen.

Most devastating liver shot of any boxer I can think of, I know that.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
4 said:

Not sure what fight the judge was watching who scored 114-113 in favor of Fury???

Any fight other than the UD HW Championship and the ref calls a TKO in the 9th.

Usyk won that fight outright
He gave Fury the 4th-7th and 12th rounds, as did the other two judges, as well as the 2nd round (two of three judges scored that one for Fury as well).

Giving Fury the 11th (the only judge to do so) is the one round that seems indefensible.
BoomGoesThe
What a fight. I can't see it any closer than 115-112 for Usyk, but at least he didn't get robbed. The ref saved Fury in the 9th. I have no problem with him ruling that Fury was held up by the ropes, but if he was going to do that, he should have done it about 2 combinations earlier. Weird to suddenly decide to make that call right before Usyk was going to finish him off.

Edit: This fight is a perfect example of why boxing is the greatest sport on earth. When it delivers, nothing else is like it.
Scientific
AG
I don't have any issues with the ref letting a champion and his corner dictate if he can keep going. He was rocked but Tyson has proven to take his punches. That knockdown on the bottom ropes, was about as good officiating as I've seen.

Fight had its swings. Fury should've won this fight, but damn did Usyk dig deep to shift the momentum. The right fighter won. And it as a match that delivered. The rematch will be epic.
BoomGoesThe
I don't have a problem with it either, but if the ref is going to rule a knockdown because Fury was held up by the ropes, he should have done it earlier when the ropes were definitely holding him up.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.