Anyone read the Kingkiller Chronicles?

153,031 Views | 1256 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by Hagen95
AtlAg05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
rononeill said:

Dammit. Y'all got me again.

You just have to accept that this thread is about other stories outside of Kingkiller. Maybe staff should just rename it. Thenwhen there is actual news on the series a new thread can be created.
Absolute
AG
I don't find it very surprising. From what I remember, given how long ago the second book came out, I felt at the time that it rambled a bit and wasn't as good as the first.

On the other books topic that this thread has become (and I hope it will continue to be) I have a couple kindle unlimiteds I tried recently that have potential

The Crimson Queen by Alec Hutson
Paladins Redemption and Paladins Fall by Kade Derricks.
Madmarttigan
AG
I've very much been in a reading rut since Sanderson and Butcher haven't released anything lately. I read the night angel trilogy which was pretty good but haven't felt like messing with lightbringer. I have mostly just been binge watching supernatural to fill my fantasy void....

OasisMan
AG
Started "the name of the wind", bout 3/4 thru & love it thus far
M.C. Swag
AG
OasisMan said:

Started "the name of the wind", bout 3/4 thru & love it thus far

Oh you beautiful, ignorant man. We'll see you bitter and scorned soon enough! Then you can join the club!
KidDoc
AG
tv1113 said:

I've very much been in a reading rut since Sanderson and Butcher haven't released anything lately. I read the night angel trilogy which was pretty good but haven't felt like messing with lightbringer. I have mostly just been binge watching supernatural to fill my fantasy void....

Try Joe Abercrombie The Blade Itself
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Madmarttigan
AG
Have not gone down the Abercrombie road since everyone says it is dark and brutal more along the lines of GRRM, which I don't care for GoT as books just think it is good television.
schmendeler
AG
tv1113 said:

Have not gone down the Abercrombie road since everyone says it is dark and brutal more along the lines of GRRM, which I don't care for GoT as books just think it is good television.

Put on your big boy pants.
mpl35
AG
schmendeler said:

tv1113 said:

is there need for insults? People have different tastes.
Madmarttigan
AG
The night angel trilogy and blood song are both dark books I love. I have no issue with adult content and grisly deaths, but any time someone compares an author to GRRM I have little interest.

I read 3 or 4 of the GoT books and they just weren't that great to me, just my opinion.
mpl35
AG
tv1113 said:

The night angel trilogy and blood song are both dark books I love. I have no issue with adult content and grisly deaths but any time someone compares an author to GRRM I have little interest.

GRRM books are not fun or exciting to read and the books aren't that great, just my opinion.

I actually like GOT but I did get tired of killing off everybod. Part of the appeal to me is getting invested in characters. So when they all die, I care less and less with each death.
schmendeler
AG
mpl35 said:

schmendeler said:

tv1113 said:

A light ribbing is not an insult. An insult would be calling him a *****.

Different tastes? He said he thinks game of thrones is great television but won't read the books. That doesn't even make sense from a content perspective.
KidDoc
AG
tv1113 said:

Abercrombie is brutal but his pacing is MUCH better than GRRM and he doesn't like to describe everything on every character's plate at every meal like GRRM does. I admire GRRM for the world and characters he created but, much like Jordan did, he gets lost in his own details in his books.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Hudson2508
AG
I wouldn't compare Abercrombie to GRRM, I found those to be very different styles. I loved Abercrombie.

Would any of y'all recommend his other books outside of the The First Law series?
KidDoc
AG
Hudson2508 said:

I wouldn't compare Abercrombie to GRRM, I found those to be very different styles. I loved Abercrombie.

Would any of y'all recommend his other books outside of the The First Law series?
Yeah best served cold is amazing. Also Heroes and hrmm..... his collection of short stories "Sharp Ends" is good. His young adult series (Shattered Sea) is ok but a bit too YA for this reader in his 40's.
Absolute
AG
Have to admit I agree completely with tv. Tried reading GoT several times and could never complete them. But I enjoy the TV show.

Think I read the first Abercrombie book and stopped.

Not opposed to characters being killed off, but sometimes it is excessive. I too like to become investoled in the characters when reading. Guess it is easier to be less invested with a TV show.
mpl35
AG
schmendeler said:

mpl35 said:

schmendeler said:

tv1113 said:

Different tastes? He said he thinks game of thrones is great television but won't read the books. That doesn't even make sense from a content perspective.
this a a nice friendly conversation, why risky he typical Texags bs?

tv and books are different. I watch all diffferent genres but wouldn't touch them in a book. Bourne, count of monte christo, outsiders, to name a few. Liked the movies...wouldn't read them. In a book the feel is different. I get much more interested in a well written character. I prefer happy ending books but tv or movies are easier to watch sad or whatever endings imo. Just my take.
Deputy Travis Junior
schmendeler said:

George RR Martin is like Tolkien. He has a fantastic story to tell, but he's not particularly good at telling it. If we're being honest, his prose is meh and vast swaths of his text should have chopped by an editor, as they add nothing of value. In addition, there's a very real the possibility that Martin's written his last book. He MIGHT release WoW, but he's never finishing the rest before his heart attack. No freaking way.

All of this is information that's available with some quick research, so I for one can understand why somebody wouldn't want to pick up the books. Why bother slogging through nearly 4k pages of underwhelming prose that will end in a permanent cliffhanger when HBO is telling the same story in a much more punchy, entertaining manner?

I slogged through the first 4, got a hundred pages into A Dance with Dragons, and called it quits. I simply didn't want to waste more time reading all the extraneous crap.
swimmerbabe11
Martin isn't fit to lick Tolkien's inkwell.

Game of Thrones is the only book I put down and refused to pick it back up. I gave up in the 4th book I think.
Counterpoint
AG
A Storm of Swords is one of my favorite books, but I agree GRRM could use an editor!
bangobango
AG
Guys sure have sold a lot of books for not being very good at telling stories.
mpl35
AG
bangobango said:

twilight and Harry Potter sell too. Just saying....
Madmarttigan
AG
bangobango said:

Maybe Sanderson, Rothfuss, and Butcher will never sell as many books as him or get any quality TV/Movies made out of them, but I would still buy any of their books at this point over GRRM.

Rothfuss may put out a flaming terd for the next book (and he may be a terd of a person), but I will still read it.

I'm most disappointed that the Blood Song/Raven's shadow trilogy crashed and burned. The reviews on the third one were so rough I haven't had the heart to read it and further destroy my image of Blood Song which is still one of the best books I've ever read.

Also, come on man putting HP and twilight together isn't fair
titanmaster_race
Queen of Fire was real bad. BUT I have great respect for Anthony Ryan for releasing it and facing the music. Unlike Rothfuss.....
Absolute
AG
titanmaster_race said:

Queen of Fire was real bad. BUT I have great respect for Anthony Ryan for releasing it and facing the music. Unlike Rothfuss.....

Yeah, I got it, but did not get more than 25% through it.
M.C. Swag
AG
I can understand GRRM isn't for everyone, but to say he isn't any better than twilight is a ****ing joke and immediately discounts your opinion if you even think they're in the same league. The first 3 books of ASoIaF is literally some of the most iconic and well written literature in the fantasy genre. His prose, world building, and character development is second to NONE.

And HP is one of the best overall sagas I've ever read. I can't think of many 5+ part series that culminates in a more satisfying conclusion. Some of you need to get over mass appeal and stop trying to act like just because a book isn't in your wheelhouse it has no merits at all.
mpl35
AG
M.C. Swag said:

I can understand GRRM isn't for everyone, but to say he isn't any better than twilight is a ****ing joke and immediately discounts your opinion if you even think they're in the same league.

Nobody said that.

Quote:

And HP is one of the best overall sagas I've ever read.
HAHAHAHA. Now that is a loss of credit right there!
M.C. Swag
AG
mpl35 said:

M.C. Swag said:

I can understand GRRM isn't for everyone, but to say he isn't any better than twilight is a ****ing joke and immediately discounts your opinion if you even think they're in the same league.

Nobody said that.

Quote:

And HP is one of the best overall sagas I've ever read.
HAHAHAHA. Now that is a loss of credit right there!
Literally 4 posts above mine a guy likened book sales of twilight to GRRM, as if that made them alike more than Rothfuss or Sanderson.

Stop being a dick. If you don't like HP, that's fine, but the narrative JK Rowling crafted is amazing. Harry Potter was a generation defining saga and it will be a staple for every adolescent reader to come. (In fact, Harry Potter is what made me fall in love with the fantasy genre and broke the fear of approaching 1,000 pg - multi book stories.) Not every book has to be dark, edgy or mature to be a classic.
MW03
AG
I agree about HP, actually. I made fun of a friend relentlessly for reading it until he forced me to listen to one of the books on a road trip. By the end, I was asking to borrow the CDs.

Anyway, it's solid stuff and I like the series quite a bit. As far as YA stuff, it's light years ahead of mess like The Hunger Games.
Madmarttigan
AG
This thread probably would have 5 replies to it if HP hadn't opened up the eyes of millions to the world of fantasy. HP hit me at a young age and I despised reading before I found those books. Since then it has been a gateway drug where I'm always looking for new fantasy books. People can make fun of it all they want but it is still a great series and I will still reread them as an adult.
swimmerbabe11
I'm slightly offended by this remark. As though there weren't plenty of nerds reading the Redwall books, Allanna the Lioness, anything by Ray Bradbury, Orson Scott Card, Chronicles of Narnia, Anne Rice, Tolkien including the Silmarillion etc etc as though Rowling broke ground of some sort.

You are underestimating how nerdy this board is, tyvm.

And for the record, I am still pissed at the earlier comparison about Martin and Tolkien. pft.
maverick2076
M.C. Swag said:

The first 3 books of ASoIaF is literally some of the most iconic and well written literature in the fantasy genre. His prose, world building, and character development is second to NONE.

Meh. Sanderson is a better world builder, and develops better characters. Rothfuss writes better prose.
Madmarttigan
AG
What I said was just an exaggeration lol. There were many many great authors in the genre before her but how many had the type of cultural impact she did?

I think there are also better authors today as well but she had a massive influence on the entire book industry and fantasy genre that can't be denied.
swimmerbabe11
5 replies though? I mean, Harry Potter came out when I was in junior high...but I'd already read so much of the fantasy sections of our library that the librarians started ordering books that I requested to try to keep up. The people I knew who read Harry Potter, skipped straight to the movies and never went back to the library.

There are 22 pages of replies discussing tons of wonderful fantasy and sci-fi authors. Harry Potter was a gateway drug to Hunger Games, Twilight and for some, to Game Of Thrones. Martin built a big old world, but there is nothing there to enjoy (for me)..nothing to consume and enjoy, no deeper meaning, no beauty. Twilight is drivel and Hunger Games would be excellent if a decent author had picked it up..it's a really good outline of a book.

maverick2076
I have to admit, I've never read the Redwall books.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.