A sequel to... The Social Network?

9,030 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Social Network

Drop the the. It's cleaner.
double aught
AG
TCTTS said:

Hope remains...

Haven't read anything, but I'm assuming from the picture that it's the Marvel-DC crossover we've all been waiting for!
Ulrich
I guess what I don't understand is that I see Facebook as one of the companies with a very definite political stance taking very intentional actions to effect political change.

Bringing politics in makes it hard to understand where they are going with this.

It'll look pretty silly if they try to portray Facebook as part of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy, but I can't imagine them making Facebook part of a cabal using 1984-ish methods because that will paint their own politics in a bad light.

I guess it demonstrates the danger of getting political directly instead of via very oblique references and analogy.
The Porkchop Express
It could be a sequel to 1984 if you read any of the stuff Zucky's trying to do in terms of the forthcoming Metaverse!
TCTTS
AG
Ulrich said:

I guess what I don't understand is that I see Facebook as one of the companies with a very definite political stance taking very intentional actions to effect political change.

Bringing politics in makes it hard to understand where they are going with this.

It'll look pretty silly if they try to portray Facebook as part of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy, but I can't imagine them making Facebook part of a cabal using 1984-ish methods because that will paint their own politics in a bad light.

I guess it demonstrates the danger of getting political directly instead of via very oblique references and analogy.

Facebook knowingly promotes disinformation and not only encourages partisan divide, but feeds of the rage that divide produces. Doesn't matter if it's on the right or the left. You're ignoring quite a bit of reality/nuance to the situation and are only mentioning the extremes, in whatever point you're trying to make. Also, whose politics are you referring to when talking about "their own politics"?
jac4
AG
I thought The Social Dilemma was the sequel to Social Network.

Not sure if anyone said it earlier. I haven't read the whole thread, so SIAP.
GoAgs92
AG
First movie was good, a sequel seems pointless.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Aaron Sorkin patiently waiting for a reply from Fincher:

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Honestly Sorkin isn't a half bad director. He could do it himself. (Though I'd obviously rather have Fincher.)
TCTTS
AG
I'm sure this won't be controversial at all, and that the discourse here will be perfectly sane, level-leaded, and civil.

Personally? I can't wait...

20ag07
This will never be a thing.

Like I would crawl over broken glass to watch whatever it is, because I'm the biggest Sorkin fanboy (who also happens to be quite conservative), but there is not a universe in which a produced film ends up existing here.

This was Belloni and Sorkin playing to a live podcast audience. (And some "trades" running with clickbait from said live podcast.)
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Don't tell F16 about this
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
How jacked is Jesse Eisenberg about to get?
GreasenUSA
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

How jacked is Jesse Eisenberg about to get?
Quad Dog
AG
A Social Network sequel about misinformation-for-profit sounds interesting, especially if he can loop in user data harvesting for profit.
But I don't see the tie to Jan. 6, seems like Sorkin's personal conspiracy theory. If you want to assign blame for Jan 6 there are a lot more stronger connections you can make that aren't Facebook.
The Porkchop Express
Watched some of the original last night. Man that movie should have won Best Picture. My favorite moment is still when they sabotage Eduardo on the stock dilution and Sean Parker talks **** to him about the check. Eduardo balls up on him and Timberlake does a phenomenal job of looking like the kid who forgot what it was like to get bullied. Garfield does this great little smirk. And there's that great note in Reznor's soundtrack.

A little trick I've grown to really like is casting a really likable person in a real d*bag role, where I instinctively like the character because I like the person playing them, but it takes me a while to realize "Oh wait, this is a real ahole." Timberlake is like that in this movie; Jason Bateman in Ozark as well.

WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.