Shogun 10-episode miniseries coming to FX

46,296 Views | 409 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by Cliff.Booth
aTmAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
LB12Diamond said:

You missed my biggest point. Him just talking to them after that happening like no big deal.

Sorry, but he would have been like what we saw in Saving Private Ryan on the beach. Screaming or in shock. Not just caring on a conversation. That right there made the scene pretty bad.
There are cases of that sort of thing happening. It's not common, but it's not unheard of either.

I was about write an example I heard of from my nurse spouse, but I decided to spare everybody.
LB12Diamond
AG
So yes

That would be like shock and maybe mumbling talk like the medic that dies in saving private Ryan.

Go rewatch the Shogun scene. The guy is not showing anything like that. It's like he's in the coffee shop.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Samurai feel no pain. Only hate.
aggierogue
AG
LB12Diamond said:

So yes

That would be like shock and maybe mumbling talk like the medic that dies in saving private Ryan.

Go rewatch the Shogun scene. The guy is not showing anything like that. It's like he's in the coffee shop.
Yeah, it's pretty bad.

Kiku makes up for it though.
aTmAg
AG
LB12Diamond said:

So yes

The real like case I was going to mention involves a guy who's entire lower half was basically gone, and yet he was talking normally to EMTs before he died.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
LB12Diamond said:

You missed my biggest point. Him just talking to them after that happening like no big deal.

Sorry, but he would have been like what we saw in Saving Private Ryan on the beach. Screaming or in shock. Not just carrying on a conversation. That right there made the scene pretty bad.

Wasn't there also a dude that just nonchalantly picks up his severed arm on the beach during the opening landing scene??
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Yes
#FJB
Teddy Perkins
AG
Loving this show. Episode 5 is another good one, IMO. To fill the downtime between episodes check these out.

The Official Podcast:

FX's background/making of material:

Shogunate's breakdowns:

HaxDogma's breakdowns:

Brain Pilot's breakdowns:
Scriffer
AG
Loved the book, and I'm loving this.

Has anyone noticed that the camera keeps some things out of focus on the periphery, or is that just me? Generally it's stuff around the subtitles. I know it's not my TV because I've tested it otherwise.

I expect it's an artistic effect of some kind to drive focus to the center, but my wife and I both found it a little distracting.
Quad Dog
AG
Scriffer said:

Has anyone noticed that the camera keeps some things out of focus on the periphery, or is that just me? Generally it's stuff around the subtitles. I know it's not my TV because I've tested it otherwise.

I expect it's an artistic effect of some kind to drive focus to the center, but my wife and I both found it a little distracting.
Same. I think it is the subtitles, because I don't notice it on top or side edges.
TCTTS
AG
Scriffer said:

This is an artistic choice, prevalent in a number of modern movies, just not in a lot of TV.

JJ Abrams does it in the Star Trek movies.

Matt Reeves does quite a bit it in The Batman.

Denis Villeneuve even does it in parts of Dune: Part Two...

It's a type of bokeh effect - somewhat of a radial bokeh, in this case - meant to focus your eye on certain parts of the frame.

Personally, I love it, along with the lens flares, as they all work together to add depth and a nice, film-like texture to the image.
Faustus
TCTTS said:

Scriffer said:

This is an artistic choice, prevalent in a number of modern movies, just not in a lot of TV.

JJ Abrams does it in the Star Trek movies.

Matt Reeves does quite a bit it in The Batman.

Denis Villeneuve even does it in parts of Dune: Part Two...

It's a type of bokeh effect - somewhat of a radial bokeh, in this case - meant to focus your eye on certain parts of the frame.

Personally, I love it, along with the lens flares, as they all work together to add depth and a nice, film-like texture to the image.
Meh, she needs more chainmail.
For those that saw the episode already, who was the woman at the end?
Mayor West
AG
#1 said:

For those that saw the episode already, who was the woman at the end?

The widow of the last ruler that died and created the council, also mother to the heir.
aTmAg
AG
WTF was his deal with the bird? I agree with the Japs. Who would want a dead bird hanging on their porch?
LB12Diamond
AG
Obviously to get that evil gardener killed.

But more importantly. It should help him understand to chose his words more wisely.
Bird Dog
AG
Traditionally game is hung for a period of time to enhance flavor. The natives find meat disgusting in general, so an aged version would be that much worse.

Meanwhile, Blackthorne has been having to go without his version of "normal" food for an extended period of time and forced to live on fare a European would find disgusting. So he's Jonesing for a meat fix.

It didn't really make it clear on the show, but in the book it mentions how busy he was training the cannon regiment day after day, and he basically just forgot about the pheasant and let it go bad. He's was so tired he didn't notice the bird had turned, plus he'snot nearly as sensitive to smelly stuff as the Japanese.
This show is soooooo good. I'm invested in every characters story. Great cast. Fuji is top tier.
aTmAg
AG
Bird Dog said:

Traditionally game is hung for a period of time to enhance flavor. The natives find meat disgusting in general, so an aged version would be that much worse.

Meanwhile, Blackthorne has been having to go without his version of "normal" food for an extended period of time and forced to live on fare a European would find disgusting. So he's Jonesing for a meat fix.

It didn't really make it clear on the show, but in the book it mentions how busy he was training the cannon regiment day after day, and he basically just forgot about the pheasant and let it go bad. He's was so tired he didn't notice the bird had turned, plus he'snot nearly as sensitive to smelly stuff as the Japanese.

So that makes sense. Too bad they didn't clear that up more . From my ignorant perspective, it looked like he just really wanted to hang a dead bird so it could rot and attract a crap ton of flies.

(I'm not sure spoiler tags are necessary at this point.)
La Bamba
AG
The scenes with Buntaro and Blackthorne in this episode - intense.
El Gallo Blanco
LB12Diamond said:

Sorry, but he would have been like what we saw in Saving Private Ryan on the beach. Screaming or in shock. Not just carrying on a conversation. That right there made the scene pretty bad.

Maybe Japanese warriors from the 1600's were built a little different. They killed themselves over shame in that culture. Death was part of life for them. (Sorry, took an edible and could be way off.)
rhutton125
AG
I thought he wanted it extra stanky for the stew.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
La Bamba said:

The scenes with Buntaro and Blackthorne in this episode - intense.

Yes, I kept waiting for the Shanghai knights scene, but it never came.

Head Ninja In Charge
AG
#1 said:

This show is soooooo good. I'm invested in every characters story. Great cast. Fuji is top tier.
Cast is stacked and they're all killing it, but yeah - Moeka Hoshi is top tier. She's operating on another level compared to everyone else. Steals every scene with just an eyebrow raise or expression.
EclipseAg
AG
Great episode ... this show is really good, and I'm finally figuring out who is who and what's happening. LOL

I actually like the fact that so much is subtitled. Forces me to concentrate more.
PatAg
AG
This show rules
LB12Diamond
AG
Great show!
TresPuertas
AG
anyone else disappointed that didn't turn in to an all out Japan-a-trois?

that would have been…… something
OldArmy71
AG
So does the Mother of the Heir have the hots for Mariko? And she is jealous when Mariko is taken away from her when she gets married off? And she blames Toranaga for that?
C@LAg
OldArmy71 said:

So does the Mother of the Heir have the hots for Mariko? And she is jealous when Mariko is taken away from her when she gets married off? And she blames Toranaga for that?
no.

She blames T for conspiring to get M's father to kill MotHs father.
C@LAg
TresPuertas said:

anyone else disappointed that didn't turn in to an all out Japan-a-trois?

that would have been…… something
the lack of boobage is very disappointing.
OldArmy71
AG
Oh I know that's what she said.

But is it the real reason.....
LB12Diamond
AG
You missed the whole point of it being more than physical!
C@LAg
LB12Diamond said:

You missed the whole point of it being more than physical!
you can still be metaphysical and let the puppies loose.
LB12Diamond
AG
But they just blurred it last time Kiku showed some skin anyway.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.