Fallout TV Series (Amazon Prime)

49,060 Views | 543 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by BenTheGoodAg
DallasTeleAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Urban Ag said:

Going to start this Sunday with my teen boys when I get back from work.

One more question if you will.

If I have this straight, the series takes place 200 years after the nuke apocalypse. Goggins character, "the Ghoul" is clearly in the trailer scenes when the nukes start hitting LA. Is he 200+ years old? Is he some sort of nuked freak that can live that long?

thanks

Are you not familiar with the Fallout universe?

A Ghoul is a human who has been completely irradiated from the nuclear fallout. The irradiation allows them to regenerate and live hundreds of years. However, there are potential problems they can face as well...

The events of most fallout games take place roughly 200 years after the bombs drop. I believe this one is 218 years
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Episode 7
I can't believe they added the hacking Mini game bahahaha.

Finale theory. Vault 31 is all the vault tech execs who keep partying at Coop's place, they just stay in cryo and take turns either managing the other vaults or trying to influence and control the surface. They Nuked Shady Sands. They've been observing all the vault experiments. And the lady M (blanking on her name) is also among the execs, because when you "manage" both sides, you win.

It's 11:30 pm in Seattle. I have one episode to go. Looks like I'll be up past midnight
Thanks and gig'em
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Episode 8
The fan service for the games continues to be fantastic
Mr House! Big MT!
NEW VEGAS AT THE END. HELL YEAH!
I hope this means we get a "Mr House won" New Vegas canon, but from the looks of it, they'll say the courier took New Vegas independent and then the city failed

Ok, done video game fanboying.

That was one of the best jobs of morally complex storytelling I've ever seen. A huge number of independent actors and you could genuinely see why each of them thought they were the heroes of their own stories.
I do wonder how Moldavar lived so long if she wasn't part of the Vault Tec cryo program. If she's lived 200+ years, did this season really kill her? Curious what the answer will be for her longevity.

Can't wait to see where they take it with season 2. Season 1 surpassed all my expectations and is right up there with the best of the games for great storytelling in the Fallout universe.
Thanks and gig'em
Claude!
In terms of some of the longevity questions, there are a variety of ways in-universe that people have had their lifespans extended, including (very minor spoilers for the games): ghoulification, FEV, cryo stasis, putting one's brain in one of several different containers, uploading one's consciousness to a computer, alien artifacts, drinking the blood of someone affected by an alien artifact, and probably more I'm not thinking of.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Im sure Im gonna sound like a beech, but i really wish they dropped 1 episode per week -- this is the perfect series for it.

I dont judge you guys for binging the entire series in 2 days (I definitely would if I could have!!), but I feel like the discussion would be different if it was a slower drip!
DallasTeleAg
Ep 8 Spoiler The reveal of New Vegas at the end had me so freaking hyped.

As you mentioned about all the morally ambiguous characters, I love how conflicted I was at the end of episode 8. I was sitting there watching Hank ask her to free him, and Lucy just standing there conflicted... and I had no idea how I would handle something like that, myself. Agreed that the overall storyline was peak Fallout universe storytelling.

They definitely left a lot of questions to be answered, like Moldaver's story. She seems to definitely be dead, but I'm sure we get more of her backstory in Season 2. We never got to see the actual falling out of Cooper's marriage, so i'm sure that will be something we get to see.
cone
AG
completely agree
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
We finished epi 2 last night and are loving this.

Going back to the release of Fallout 4, which is crazy to think is something like 9 years old at this point, Bethesda released the coolest Collector's Edition ever imo.

Came with its own Pip Boy attachment for your wrist, and what was so cool about it is they made an app for it for your phone that copied the MS DOS-like interface, so you could put your phone in and sync it to your game. Playing with the Pip Boy on your wrist was awesome.

I need to go dig it out of my closet. One of best video game collector's editions of all time!

Quad Dog
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

Im sure Im gonna sound like a beech, but i really wish they dropped 1 episode per week -- this is the perfect series for it.

I dont judge you guys for binging the entire series in 2 days, but I feel like the discussion would be different if it was a slower drip!
Which is weird. Prime usually does a weekly release and Netflix is usually the binge release.
ABATTBQ11
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

As you mentioned about all the morally ambiguous characters, I love how conflicted I was at the end of episode 8. I was sitting there watching Hank ask her to free him, and Lucy just standing there conflicted... and I had no idea how I would handle something like that, myself. Agreed that the overall storyline was peak Fallout universe storytelling.

They definitely left a lot of questions to be answered, like Moldaver's story. She seems to definitely be dead, but I'm sure we get more of her backstory in Season 2. We never got to see the actual falling out of Cooper's marriage, so i'm sure that will be something we get to see.

I thought the storytelling was really good, but the plotline about vault-tec dropping the bombs and the whole purpose of the vault experiments just seems weak. Corporations don't make money by killing all of their customers. Also, the other corporations all make money off continued warfare (at least I'm guessing since they're probably supposed to be the MIC), so why would they want to go the vault route? Even if they're the last ones standing, there's no one around to buy or make anything. I thought this part was a little overly heavy handed.

Also, the cold fusion thing makes no sense. If vault-tec had it before the war, they could absolutely own the energy market and would have no need for the vaults. It may be free energy, but that just means they can sell it for an incredible makeup while still undercutting everyone else. Even the fusion cores seem like energy costs shouldn't be a problem. If one can power an entire vault and they're safe and ubiquitous enough to put in suits like the T-60, then why is power an issue that needs to be solved by cold fusion? They've already got it.

I too would like to see how Moldaver survived for so long. I assume it has something to do with her status as a near deity to some people.

Calling it now, Cooper's family is in a vault, and maybe even 31. I'm wondering if Norm finds them after opening up all of the pods to force Bud to let him go.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

I dont judge you guys for binging the entire series in 2 days, but I feel like the discussion would be different if it was a slower drip!

I think you can accommodate both sides, the bingers and the discussion people. For a 10 episode season, give people 4 the first week, 3 the second week, 2 the third week, and then the finale is given its own week. That gives enough time to build up hype for discussion, while still allowing the bingers to run through them quickly.
LB12Diamond
AG
Few questions after watching.

Vault 32, what happened there? They just went crazy?

Vault 4 leaders said every vault had their thing. Asked Lucy what 33's focus was and she did not know. Did they reveal 33s and I missed it.

Why did Betty split up Vault 33 into two groups and send half to the now empty 32.
Aggie_Journalist
AG

Not sure why Vault 32 went crazy, but I suspect we will learn there's still more to that vault next season.

Vault 33's experiment was to breed the perfect, optimistic managers so that, when the real leaders of Vault-Tec woke up post war, they'd have a perfect pool of managers ready to go out there and rebuild the wasteland for them.

Unsure, but I suspect we'll learn more in season 2 and this will relate to a still unknown deeper purpose for Vault 32.
Thanks and gig'em
LeonardSkinner
ABATTBQ11 said:

DallasTeleAg said:

I thought the storytelling was really good, but the plotline about vault-tec dropping the bombs and the whole purpose of the vault experiments just seems weak. Corporations don't make money by killing all of their customers. Also, the other corporations all make money off continued warfare (at least I'm guessing since they're probably supposed to be the MIC), so why would they want to go the vault route? Even if they're the last ones standing, there's no one around to buy or make anything. I thought this part was a little overly heavy handed.

Also, the cold fusion thing makes no sense. If vault-tec had it before the war, they could absolutely own the energy market and would have no need for the vaults. It may be free energy, but that just means they can sell it for an incredible makeup while still undercutting everyone else. Even the fusion cores seem like energy costs shouldn't be a problem. If one can power an entire vault and they're safe and ubiquitous enough to put in suits like the T-60, then why is power an issue that needs to be solved by cold fusion? They've already got it.

I too would like to see how Moldaver survived for so long. I assume it has something to do with her status as a near deity to some people.

Calling it now, Cooper's family is in a vault, and maybe even 31. I'm wondering if Norm finds them after opening up all of the pods to force Bud to let him go.

I think the simplest, maybe not the cleanest, explanation is that Cooper told Moldaver about Vault-Tec's plans and someone found out. This causes the split between the Howards and gets Cooper blacklisted (he's working birthday parties for a guy that called him a Commie).

Maybe Moldaver ratted out the Howards and took their place in the cryo tanks. Less likely, Cooper gives up his place to Moldaver.

I don't think the pieces really line up for Janey and Barb to be alive, but he keeps talking about finding his family, so I suppose it has to work out somehow.
BadMoonRisin
AG
We'll just have to do the best we can and catch up this weekend.

Im sure there are equally likely that people wanted the whole season to drop at the same time.

All I am really seeing is a massive uptake in Fallout consumption. I cant wait for the wave of interest to get Todd going on another IP. He clearly knows how to do it.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Didn't he comment that Elder Scrolls 6 will be his last?
Breggy Popup
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

Im sure there are equally likely that people wanted the whole season to drop at the same time.

All I am really seeing is a massive uptake in Fallout consumption. I cant wait for the wave of interest to get Todd going on another IP. He clearly knows how to do it.

I am definitely going through the games again and they just don't get old. Watched episode 1 last night and wow it is amazing!
bluefire579
AG
Ghost of Bisbee said:

Didn't he comment that Elder Scrolls 6 will be his last?
He said "probably" and I imagine that comes more from the fact that he's in his 50s and any after the next one will be at least a decade out from the release of 6.

He does seem to be pretty heavily involved in the Indiana Jones game as well.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Fallout 4 and 76 were both disappointments. Hire the New Vegas team to write the next story!
Thanks and gig'em
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Johnny Pemberton is like the meth-head version of Michael Cera.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Quad Dog said:

BadMoonRisin said:

Which is weird. Prime usually does a weekly release and Netflix is usually the binge release.
They broke convention to match Netflix release.

There are plusses and minuses. Im just saying for the thread, extremely selfishly by myself, I wished it was a 1x a week deal.

But it's a great and very entertaining IP.
LB12Diamond
AG
"Why am I not dead!"

That line cracked me up.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
After you finish the season, there are 2 funny bonus clips you can find with the show on Amazon prime. Old Vault-Tec sales people recruitment and training videos
Thanks and gig'em
cone
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

all I want is another West Coast game made by Obsidian
bluefire579
AG
cone said:

BadMoonRisin said:

BenTheGoodAg
AG
Just finished the season. Fantastic.

Best video game adaption ever? I 'd say so.
Claude!
bluefire579 said:

cone said:

BadMoonRisin said:

I didn't get through the first one, unfortunately.
DallasTeleAg
Outer Worlds was boring as hell. i kept falling asleep while playing it.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I don't think he'd be looking for them if there wasn't a chance they were alive.

Agree he told Moldaver and she somehow found a way to survive. Explains all of the breakup and birthday stuff. I don't think it was a Vault-tec cryo thing though. Not something they'd do, and doesn't explain her starting Shady Sands. How'd she get out? Who woke her up?
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Given Coop was riding a horse with his daughter along a ridge as nukes went off nearby, I'm guessing she got a heavy dose of radiation and his wife told him that Vault Tec had the technology to cure any radiation sickness if he gave his daughter up and let them take her away. He then expected to die, but became an immortal ghoul instead and now that he's seen 2 living and healthy people from the pre war days, he wants to find out if his family is still alive, too.
Thanks and gig'em
C@LAg
they should have saved a bonus episode to release as post DLC.

offer to release earlier if certain $ amount is reached.

used the payments for a charity or something
LeonardSkinner
That sounds pretty good, and addresses the things that didn't line up.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Aggie_Journalist said:

Given Coop was riding a horse with his daughter along a ridge as nukes went off nearby, I'm guessing she got a heavy dose of radiation and his wife told him that Vault Tec had the technology to cure any radiation sickness if he gave his daughter up and let them take her away. He then expected to die, but became an immortal ghoul instead and now that he's seen 2 living and healthy people from the pre war days, he wants to find out if his family is still alive, too.

Maybe the first part, but not the last. The president asked if he was still looking for "her" which I assume means his daughter. He's probably been looking for her for a long time.
Madmarttigan
AG
Might not be thinking of everything Amazon has done but initial reaction is it is one of their best productions they've ever done.

I also liked this better than the Last of Us. Sue me.
p_bubel
Never played the game, thoroughly enjoyed the series. Kinda bummed I finished it already.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.