*** TWISTERS ***

14,395 Views | 175 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Brian Earl Spilner
MBAR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As an atmospheric scientist, Twister is like Citizen Kane to me. I'm worried this is going to be bad, but I'm going to be there day 1.
TCTTS
AG
veryfuller said:

Twister is my very favorite movie, so I will of course be in the theaters opening night for this.

The CGI isn't inspiring a lot of confidence, but hopefully that gets cleaned up more before the release.

I would say the story doesn't matter? It just have to be fun and have good sequences. Thats the original. Fun characters, great sequences that are somewhat strung together by a "let's get Dorothy to fly" story with some romance thrown in because its 1996. If this movie has chemistry between the leads (which the trailer at least shows that) and fun supporting characters with some witty banter and fun tornado action, then it'll fly, IMHO.

I recommend watching the 500MB+ "ProRes" version of the trailer. Without the sh*tty YouTube compression, the effects look a lot better, at least in my opinion...

https://nyc3.digitaloceanspaces.com/vob-mlst/Jacques1400/ProRes/1144225UP_Twisters_Trl1_Txtd_Stereo_NoGreenband_PCM_1080p.mov
TCTTS
AG
Also, random - I had no idea he was even part of the cast - but this is David Corenswet, aka James Gunn's new Superman. Corenswet was probably shooting this as, like, tenth man down the call sheet, around the time he was auditioning for that movie. And now he's going from Twisters this July to starring in Superman: Legacy next July. Another actor from this movie who's going to blow up...

Atreides Ornithopter
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

There really is no more awesome force of nature on TexAgs than when you decide a movie is going to be great.

And yes I'm busting your balls a little on it, but the combination of movie knowledge and sheer will to promote is like a tidal wave coming at the beach.

Does this happen to be the 2nd greatest script he has ever read?
Cromagnum
AG
Probably need to watch this one with a bottle of whiskey. Pour some out when they mention The Extreme, and then throw it at the screen in the final ****ty act and see if the tornado sucks it up.
wangus12
AG
TCTTS said:

There really is no more awesome force of nature on TexAgs than when you decide a movie is going to be great.

And yes I'm busting your balls a little on it, but the combination of movie knowledge and sheer will to promote is like a tidal wave coming at the beach.

I try my best.

For the record, I'm not guaranteeing greatness. I'm simply asking folks to give it a chance, based on the caliber of filmmakers involved. That, and I've heard the script is good, and what little I know about the third act sounds awesome (giant twin fire tornados!). Yes, most legacy sequel stuff sucks, but every so often we get a Blade Runner 2049 or a Top Gun: Maverick, and all indications are that this one potentially falls somewhere in that camp. Almost assuredly not nearly as good as either, mind you, but a worthy effort and a lot of fun.
That is a straight up C-list SyFy channel move. I dig it
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Agree.

Also, David Corenswet in the movie, plus Anthony Ramos and Harry Hadden-Paton help with the expectation of fun banter that I love in the first one so much. Also, quick glance at the cast list, Maura Tierney is in it, and Kiernan Shipka. This will be solid fun, even if it doesn't connect as well as Twister did for me.
The Porkchop Express
What if the third act plot twist is that Helen Hunt's character was swept up into a Class 5, hit by lightning and became Empress Tornadica, who has the power to produce and control tornados and Hangman is secretly her long-lost son who must now stop the monster, or try to redeem her?
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
javajaws
AG
This movie is begging to have a big name uncredited actor have a 5 second cameo...getting sucked up into a tornado. Like Cruise or somebody.
MooreTrucker
AG
Like Brad Pitt in Deadpool 2
Cromagnum
AG
javajaws said:

This movie is begging to have a big name uncredited actor have a 5 second cameo...getting sucked up into a tornado. Like Cruise or somebody.

Well, if Amy Schumer and Melissa McCarthy get sucked up, we have the "we got cows" scene covered.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ok, that's funny.
Claude!

What if the third act plot twist is that Helen Hunt's character was swept up into a Class 5, hit by lightning and became Empress Tornadica, who has the power to produce and control tornados and Hangman is secretly her long-lost son who must now stop the monster, or try to redeem her?
Pretty standard stuff.
Faustus
TCTTS said:

Btw, watching the trailer again, the plot difference between this one and the first one seems to be...

1) The first movie focused on gathering data about tornados in order to ultimately "provide an earlier storm-warning system."

2) However, this movie seems to hint at attempting to DESTROY tornados altogether...

Glenn Powell's Tyler to Daisy Edgar Jones' Kate...

TYLER
You thought you could destroy a tornado?

KATE
We never had a chance.

TYLER
You want one?

A insane goal? Quite possibly. But they at least seem to be making an effort to up the stakes/objective in this one, and using Dorothy again in some form or fashion is, like, step one of that.

What are the odds the first attempts to destroy tornados makes things worse before the redemption arc where they have no choice and against all odds succeed? The whole man messing with nature angle.
TCTTS
AG
Atreides Ornithopter said:

Does this happen to be the 2nd greatest script he has ever read?

Quad Dog
AG
In before a plot point in this movie is that Tornado Alley moving 500 miles east due to climate change and this board claims Twisters has gone woke.
TCTTS
AG
El Gallo Blanco
TCTTS said:

Mid 90's waiting in Supercuts or doctors office vibes. Love it. Funny how seeing stuff like that can trigger pretty immediate flashbacks.
bagger05
AG
1996 Helen Hunt
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oh wow. That's random as hell. TIL
jokershady
AG
A reproductive therapist owns the Atlanta hawks now?
Icecream_Ag
S
jokershady said:

all thanks to the cows...and aunt megs gravy
Icecream_Ag
S
Also I'm gonna need a drive in movie theater and severe thunderstorm for my first watch so I bet the same ambiance as my first viewing of the original.
double aught
AG
El Gallo Blanco said:

TCTTS said:

Mid 90's waiting in Supercuts or doctors office vibes. Love it. Funny how seeing stuff like that can trigger pretty immediate flashbacks.
Loved that magazine growing up. Had it delivered for years.
The Porkchop Express
jokershady said:

She cleaned up on that 1-900 gig and by being extremely conservative with her toilet paper purchases.

javajaws
AG
Now that would be funny if SHE was in the movie as some rich person funding an opposing team of Twister chasers! Even better if a Twister destroyed the Paycom arena during a game between the Thunder and Hawks.
NoHo Hank
AG
Pretty excited for what they are creating here. Potential for the natural disaster cinematic universe is off the charts. I'm not saying that I am an insider but I have it on good authority that the script for hurricanes is incredible. I think everyone knows what they're going to get with tsunami. But what I am most excited for is Twisters v. Avalanche. The insiders I talk to think it could be a real game changer.
Saxsoon
AG
I am in for Glenn Powell
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
jbirdag96
AG
I saw it on opening night here in the Dallas area. Local meteorologists were joking about how the weather was going to actually mimic the movie quite possibly. When I left the theater it was like I was walking back into the movie. The drive home was quite fun as I was blaring the soundtrack.
jbirdag96
AG
Icecream_Ag said:

jokershady said:

all thanks to the cows...and aunt megs gravy

It would be awesome if they had a little down home cafe named Aunt Meg's in the movie.
InternetFan02
AG
The biggest tragedy of the covid era is Glen Powell had to wait 2 extra years to become the breakout movie star of top gun. Summer of 2024 he's made it and this feels like the perfect role.

BurnetAggie99
Powell is great in the Indie movie Everybody Wants Some. Especially since being from Westwood area of Austin and the movie was shot in Austin/San Marcos.

TCTTS
AG

C@LAg
way too early for this kind of hype.

has no one here learned by now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.