We need a Latin Mass in College Station

18,370 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 20 days ago by DeProfundis
FalconAg06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PabloSerna said:

Serious. I just reread your sentence and you are actually claiming that the diocesan seminaries have a gay subculture, is that right?

Is this even in question? Weren't you the one claiming the priesthood was 40% gay? How does that happen without a gay subculture? What % gay is the normal population?
PabloSerna
AG
Jason,

What I am concerned with, is what you are suggesting - that the TLM is somehow more "holy" (for lack of a better word) than the ordinary form of the mass.

I am only familiar with the Dominicans (Order of Preachers) and this would be concerning.
PabloSerna
AG
FalconAg06 said:

PabloSerna said:

Serious. I just reread your sentence and you are actually claiming that the diocesan seminaries have a gay subculture, is that right?

Is this even in question? Weren't you the one claiming the priesthood was 40% gay? How does that happen without a gay subculture? What % gay is the normal population?

Yes, I did read that and that was not broken out between diocesan or mendicant orders. Even if it is true or within 10-15% - what does that have to do with the TLM? I don't want to hijack this thread with the whole, "Can you be gay and love the TLM?" - because we have already beaten that horse to death.

I was merely trying to understand Jason's assertation.

Jason C.
AG
Nope, not more "holy". But a man who's going to give up his life to be ordained who is not gay is going to have a hard time not being attracted to the traditional orders when compared to the dioceses. Traditional orders are serious about proper formation in philosophy and theology, and provide real training in priestcraft. "Here is how you do this thing; you don't do it like this because of X and Y; plus, if you do it the right way, then ABC." Serious men like that sort of teaching. It's more attractive than "man I'm so glad you're here, we didn't ordain anyone last year and I have got to get my numbers up if I'm going to get a committee chair ship at the next USCCB gathering. Oh, I love DC. Have you ever been to DC, Brian? Oh you'd love it in the springtime. I'll have to take you there someday."

Etc. So not "more holy" just not risible and vacuous. But for our needs of the sacraments, most of us would have nothing to do with 95% of the men ordained in the mainstream church.
PabloSerna
AG
Wow - that is what I thought you meant.
Jason C.
AG
Jason's only assertation is that exposure to the TLM is exposure to the TLM-focused orders, which is often deadly to interest in a diocesan vocation. Exposure to those orders is, for most young men, a night and day difference when compared to most diocesan seminaries. That's why Joe Vazquez will never have a Latin Mass anywhere near BCS. All about them 'croots!
PabloSerna
AG
Here's a link to a breakdown of the various types of religious orders.
PabloSerna
AG
Lol... you had me going!

I was beginning to think you actually were believing that stuff!!

PabloSerna
AG
I have had the good fortune to have met quite a few religious people through the Dominicans. I can tell you without hesitation - it is a calling.

They search. Maybe for some it is the "smells and bells" - but as scripture says, "Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting" Proverbs 31:30. It has to be deeper than that. The men and women I have met, some celebrating 50+ years of service - they live it. It doesn't matter what language - it is about the mission.

PabloSerna
AG
"The issue of homosexuality is a very serious issue that must be adequately discerned from the beginning with the candidates [for the priesthood]. In our societies it even seems that homosexuality is fashionable and that mentality, in some way, also influences the life of the church," - Pope Francis

I think it is an issue at all levels.
jrico2727
AG
There is a a Traditional High Mass Thursday Evening 3/25 at 6PM for the Feast of the Annunciation, at St. Thomas Aquinas.
For all the people interested in seeing the traditional liturgy being said more in BCS, please attend, and bring friends.

huburney
Do you remember what the priest looked like? My friends and I are thinking of attending TLM once a month and we were looking at St Mary's in Brenham, but this is a pretty off-putting story
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Mark Fairchild said:

Bishop Strickland is in a class of his own, and I mean that in the most complimentary way. The Catholics of the Diocese of Tyler are indeed blessed.

That's my bishop. Love that man for all he has done for the faith.
Silian Rail
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Mark Fairchild said:

Bishop Strickland is in a class of his own, and I mean that in the most complimentary way. The Catholics of the Diocese of Tyler are indeed blessed.

That's my bishop. Love that man for all he has done for the faith.

He is a great bishop, one of the best but was disappointed and saddened at his latest dust-up with the video he shared
aTmneal
AG
I'm totally on board with this. I would definitely attend. Matter of fact, it's on my list of prayers every day.
File5
AG
Got a link? What was the dust up?
Silian Rail
File5 said:

Got a link? What was the dust up?

He shared a link and supported video that while it had a lot of good stuff also called Pope Francis a diabolically disordered clown and said the Vatican had lost its authority.

https://wherepeteris.com/bishop-praises-video-calling-pope-diabolically-disoriented-clown/
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
He reposted a video that was less than charitable towards Pope Francis… to put it graciously.

In all honesty, I think he didn't fully vetted the video and only watched parts of it, and missed some very controversial statements that called into question the legitimacy of V2, and pope Francis.

He corrected himself in a following tweet to address his intentions and his concerns but damage was already done.

Hard lesson to learn in todays world.
File5
AG
Thanks for posting y'all. I understand that a bishop has different responsibilities regarding the content of things he reposts and recommends people to watch, but I also don't think posting it means he approves on all things in the video. Tough place to be in for him, no doubt. I personally don't believe Francis is an anti-pope, but he certainly seems like a WEF progressive apologist to me. And all of this Biden and Pelosi pandering is absolutely a slap in the face to devout Catholics everywhere, and the pro-life movement that the Church says she supports. Will be praying for all of the above...
Silian Rail
I do not feel it is any of our places to say anything ill about the successors to Peter in an open forum…..so I will say nothing.

I do like Bishop Strickland very much, along with Bp Konderla And Bp Olson he is tied for my favorite, but he needs to vet things before he supports them and I kind of found his apology wanting. Seems like he said "I only meant that supported the non heretical stuff"
whatthehey78
AG
Isn't it a dead language? Did Jesus or the Apostles speak, preach, read or understand it? Don't see a necessity.
Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and myself founded empires; but upon what foundation did we rest the creations of our genius? Upon force! But Jesus Christ founded His upon love; and at this hour millions of men would die for Him. - Napoleon Bonaparte
jrico2727
AG
A "dead" language can be useful for something like theology. As we currently see in the temporal world people often change words and their meanings to fit an agenda, a language such as Latin doesn't allow such liberties.

Considering that St. Paul was a Roman citizen and St. Peter started the See of Rome it is fair to say at the very least some of the Apostles spoke Latin. Since Our Lord has his famous dialogue with Pilate, and found great faith in a centurion it is plausible that he spoke some Latin, even if just a phrase or two. Ultimately, Latin is eternalized on the cross so the language is inseparable from Christ and his Church.
File5
AG
When you think of English, what year's edition do you think of? What words have remained constant? Just to throw some words/sayings out there: "Well-regulated", "tight", "cool", "woke", "progressive", so on and so forth. What remains constant?

"It is the question of a dead language and a dying language. Every living language is a dying language, even if it does not die. Parts of it are perpetually perishing or changing their sense; there is only one escape from that flux; and a language must die to be immortal." - GK Chesterton
whatthehey78
AG
jrico2727 said:

A "dead" language can be useful for something like theology. As we currently see in the temporal world people often change words and their meanings to fit an agenda, a language such as Latin doesn't allow such liberties.

Considering that St. Paul was a Roman citizen and St. Peter started the See of Rome it is fair to say at the very least some of the Apostles spoke Latin. Since Our Lord has his famous dialogue with Pilate, and found great faith in a centurion it is plausible that he spoke some Latin, even if just a phrase or two. Ultimately, Latin is eternalized on the cross so the language is inseparable from Christ and his Church.
Not convinced. No sale! Except for Paul being a Roman citizen...the rest is unproven and 'a huge stretch' at best. Truth is "it's a dead language"...died like its original users, with the Roman Empire. Even the church has diminished its use.
Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and myself founded empires; but upon what foundation did we rest the creations of our genius? Upon force! But Jesus Christ founded His upon love; and at this hour millions of men would die for Him. - Napoleon Bonaparte
jrico2727
AG
It wasn't a sale it's historical fact. But God Bless you in your search for truth.
jkag89
whatthehey78 said:

Isn't it a dead language? Did Jesus or the Apostles speak, preach, read or understand it? Don't see a necessity.
Since this a fairly old thread I did not go back and read the thread again but I don't recall anyone claiming it was a necessity.
whatthehey78
AG
jrico2727 said:

It wasn't a sale it's historical fact. But God Bless you in your search for truth.
Get your "facts' from CNN? So, in your version of history Peter...the man who "denied" Jesus 3 times...the man Jesus told "get thee behind me, Satan", and asked 3 times "do you love me" is the first See of the church...and yet was crucified nearly 3 centuries before the church was officially (read historically) decreed??????????? And I suppose you think this common fisherman was fluent in Latin, Aramaic, Greek and Hebrew??????

May God bless you in YOUR search for truth.
jrico2727
AG
Jesus established Peter as the rock he was going to build his church on well before whatever historical fantasies you have allowed yourself to buy into were ever conceived. And to purpose were they created? Certainly not with the hope in which our Lord prayed for in John 17.

I do wish you well, however I fear you haven't come here for a honest discussion it's probably best we leave it here.
The BQ Jock
I didn't see this thread when it was originally posted. Myself and about 5 or 6 others drive to Spring to the SSPX chapel for mass every week during the semesters. We asked priests at St. Mary's about it and got told the mass was "too political." We contacted the SSPX about having mass here and the answer was essentially that we are on the waiting list but it's a long list as the demand for TLM grows every year.
wbt5845
AG
BTW - SSPX order is schismatic. Just sayin'
Silian Rail
wbt5845 said:

BTW - SSPX order is schismatic. Just sayin'
They are not schismatic. They are canonically irregular.

Also, I would argue that the lack of direction from the Vatican on the subject of the SSPX mass creates a situation where a Catholic could licitly fulfill their Sunday obligation at an SSPX mass, provided they're doing so out of love for the liturgy and not out of a desire to separate themselves from the Church.
wbt5845
AG
https://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=20046

Quote:

The leaders of the traditionalist Society of St. Pius X (SSPX) are in schism, and remain suspended from the sacraments, says the prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith.

In an interview with the Italian daily Corriere della Sera, Archbishop Gerhard Mller said that although Pope Benedict XVI lifted the canonical excommunication of SSPX prelates, they remain suspended from the sacraments because "by their schism they have broken away from communion with the Church."

Silian Rail
wbt5845 said:

https://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=20046

Quote:

The leaders of the traditionalist Society of St. Pius X (SSPX) are in schism, and remain suspended from the sacraments, says the prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith.

In an interview with the Italian daily Corriere della Sera, Archbishop Gerhard Mller said that although Pope Benedict XVI lifted the canonical excommunication of SSPX prelates, they remain suspended from the sacraments because "by their schism they have broken away from communion with the Church."

Did you notice the date ?

https://www.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/apost_letters/documents/papa-francesco-lettera-ap_20161120_misericordia-et-misera.html

Quote:

For the Jubilee Year I had also granted that those faithful who, for various reasons, attend churches officiated by the priests of the Priestly Fraternity of Saint Pius X, can validly and licitly receive the sacramental absolution of their sins. For the pastoral benefit of these faithful, and trusting in the good will of their priests to strive with God's help for the recovery of full communion in the Catholic Church, I have personally decided to extend this faculty beyond the Jubilee Year, until further provisions are made, lest anyone ever be deprived of the sacramental sign of reconciliation through the Church's pardon.
The BQ Jock
Yeah, they aren't though. Lot's of misinformation about them. I used to think they were as well, but have since seen more than enough to convince me they aren't nor ever have been. Anyways, until theres a consistent Latin mass in College Station, it is where we'll continue going. God bless, my friend!
Ordhound04
AG
whatthehey78 said:

jrico2727 said:

Not convinced. No sale! Except for Paul being a Roman citizen...the rest is unproven and 'a huge stretch' at best. Truth is "it's a dead language"...died like its original users, with the Roman Empire. Even the church has diminished its use.

19And Pilate wrote a title, and put it on the cross. And the writing was Jesus Of Nazareth The King Of The Jews.

20 This title then read many of the Jews: for the place where Jesus was crucified was nigh to the city: and it was written in Hebrew, and Greek, and Latin.

-John 19:19-20 KJV

If The apostle john noticed it was written in Latin, Greek, and Hebrew, maybe, just maybe the apostles were multi-lingual.

Also, you know, Pentecost…..

Alas though, just like Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek, Latin is a biblical language. Moreover is it not beyond the scope of imagination that a dude growing up in the Roman Empire, reading the Septuagint, and speaking in Aramaic might be, you know multilingual?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.