survival Cannabalism

4,243 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by WestTexasAg04
Magneto
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Watching that Andes 1972 wreck movie. Some limited googling and I'm not convinced God wants us to eat each other even if for survival…………..kind of off limits?????

Thoughts?
Krazykat
AG
Yep. I'm gonna starve before I eat someone.
Sapper Redux
Instinct takes over at a certain point. Assuming there are no other options at all, why would preserving life be wrong?
kurt vonnegut
AG
I have no desire to ever eat anyone. But, if they were already dead and this was the only way to get back to the wife and kids. . . .

Put into the situation of the survivors in the Andres, I think there are more people would do it than would care to admit.
Aggrad08
AG
Judging people in such a situation is the height of arrogance. You've probably never been more than peckish in the grand scheme.

It's certainly a desperate last resort. But if I were one of the ones that died first I'd rather they eat me than die with me.
Rocag
AG
To look at it in another perspective: If I knew I was going to die and that someone else's survival depended on them eating my dead body I'd tell them to go for it. At that point I'm dead, why should I care?
Martin Q. Blank
I'm of the minority opinion these days that we should treat a dead person's body as if they were alive and only sleeping. No cremation, no harvesting organs, no eating them. Simply lay them to rest as in a bed to wait for the resurrection.

The majority opinion of course is that the person is completely dead, their soul either in heaven, annihilated, or never existed in the first place, and that their body is free game. They have no use for it anymore and their "real self" is somewhere else to even care.
Sapper Redux
Quote:

no harvesting organs

Why should living people die when we have the ability to help with organs that are going to rot away to nothing in days?
Martin Q. Blank
Sapper Redux said:

Quote:

no harvesting organs
Why should living people die when we have the ability to help with organs that are going to rot away to nothing in days?
1. Because you're cutting up a person who is sleeping and taking their body parts.
2. I don't like the view that we're simply machines that break down every now and need new parts to get going again.
kurt vonnegut
AG
I believe that in the case of the Andes incident, many of the people did give their consent to be eaten if they die. Do you think that changes anything?
Sapper Redux
Martin Q. Blank said:

Sapper Redux said:

Quote:

no harvesting organs
1. Because you're cutting up a person who is sleeping and taking their body parts.
2. I don't like the view that we're simply machines that break down every now and need new parts to get going again.

1. They aren't sleeping. They're dead. Their body has ceased to function. Their organs are going to rot away rapidly if left alone. Even if you believe they will be resurrected, it won't be in their current body. I shudder to think what a burn victim would go through if their resurrected body was just a continuation of their mortal body, complete with functional nervous system.

2. By all means, go tell a toddler who needs a new heart that they just need to die because, while we have the technology to save them, a corpse needs its heart more than she does.
Martin Q. Blank
kurt vonnegut said:

I believe that in the case of the Andes incident, many of the people did give their consent to be eaten if they die. Do you think that changes anything?
No. First, I don't see how consent even matters. If they're dead, they can't experience any apparent wrong you do to their body. Second, why wait to eat humans for survival? I would assume if it was socially acceptable and had health benefits, there wouldn't be an objection to eat them now.
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

They aren't sleeping. They're dead. Their body has ceased to function. Their organs are going to rot away rapidly if left alone. Even if you believe they will be resurrected, it won't be in their current body.
They are sleeping. They're alive in Christ. They will be resurrected in their current body which will be renewed and glorified.
Sapper Redux
If it will be renewed, then why does it matter if an organ that is going to rot will be used to help preserve life? Your argument doesn't make sense. A person who is blown to pieces is going to be given a renewed body, why can't a person who donated their heart?
AGC
AG
Sapper Redux said:

Instinct takes over at a certain point. Assuming there are no other options at all, why would preserving life be wrong?

I'm curious about your mindset: what value does your life (or anyone else's) have, in the grand scheme of things? What's one life or two billion (assuming it's some future cancer curer instead) in the scheme of randomness and chaos?
Martin Q. Blank
Sapper Redux said:

If it will be renewed, then why does it matter if an organ that is going to rot will be used to help preserve life? Your argument doesn't make sense. A person who is blown to pieces is going to be given a renewed body, why can't a person who donated their heart?
1. Because you are not handling the body by faith that it is sleeping.
2. You are treating the body like a donor car.
Sapper Redux
Martin Q. Blank said:

Sapper Redux said:

1. Because you are not handling the body by faith that it is sleeping.
2. You are treating the body like a donor car.

So the body is an idol that must not be touched? It's going to rot. We can see what happens to bodies after they die. They rot. The organs go quickly and it all returns to the earth. The donated organs will eventually die and return to the earth.

But your position has me curious: Is it equally wrong to have an inflamed appendix or gallbladder removed?

2. The body isn't being used as a donor car. It's allowing another living person to continue living and contributing to society. It's selfless giving. You're elevating the flesh of the dead above the living.
Sapper Redux
AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

I'm curious about your mindset: what value does your life (or anyone else's) have, in the grand scheme of things? What's one life or two billion (assuming it's some future cancer curer instead) in the scheme of randomness and chaos?

Why do you have to have God for life to have meaning? We are alive, we are sentient, we are capable of feeling and learning and experiencing life. That's enough to give it value to me and to recognize that value in others.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Guys. . . for the record, if I die and your survival depends on eating me, you have my permission to eat me. Just be sure to clean your plates.
AGC
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

Guys. . . for the record, if I die and your survival depends on eating me, you have my permission to eat me. Just be sure to clean your plates.

Bro, not happening unless they magically stock A1 on that aircraft and the bottle survives.
AGC
AG
Sapper Redux said:

AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

Why do you have to have God for life to have meaning? We are alive, we are sentient, we are capable of feeling and learning and experiencing life. That's enough to give it value to me and to recognize that value in others.

Well the context within which you talk about life is something more, like it has to go on and must continue. But it's not sentient, transcendent, or eternal is it? And while I understand the individual's desire to continue, there's not really a universal vested interest in it, is there?
Rudyjax
AG
Magneto said:

Watching that Andes 1972 wreck movie. Some limited googling and I'm not convinced God wants us to eat each other even if for survival…………..kind of off limits?????

Thoughts?
Holy *****.. have you read anything about this?

They were all devout Catholics. They prayed every day. Said a rosary. They confessed their sins to priests.

They did what they had to do live.

I have news for you.

Everything that lives and will ever live is food.

Magneto
AG
The more I think about it, I'm good with it for survival. Yes God has made it clear we aren't animals and shouldn't act like it but I think if our intentions are clear and not evil, he understands that he built in us a desire to survive.

Just not a whole lot about it with a simple google search on what the Bible says………
Pro Sandy
AG
Sapper Redux said:

AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

Because it sucks on its own.

Without God, I am born, I live, I die. It is all meaningless. My father in law's suicide drove home this point for me. The universe gives me no purpose. Sure, I experience the things you mention, but why? Because I exist. If this is it, I should probably try and live it to its fullest, which would be to my pleasure. But that pleasure remains fleeting and i am not happy or satisfied. I have only found happiness in deep relationships with friends and family and having purpose in my work of serving others. I have those because God says to love the Lord your God with all your heart soul mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself.

MQBs position finds no support in the Bible. He seems to take a principle of the bodily resurrection, expands it beyond its teaching, creates a rule, and forces the rule despite it causing harm. God gave us the ability to donate our organs where their is no harm to the deceased (sleeping)and the living can have more life. But his plan causes harm to the living for no benefit to the deceased/sleeping.
BluHorseShu
AG
Magneto said:

Thoughts?
Don't know since they're are numerous scriptures about eating the flesh of others in the Bible but they all seem to be in the context of murder and don't mention extreme extenuating circumstances. Its also fine if we donate our organs after we die. I'm not sure where I fall in a case of very specific circumstances but don't think I would do it....(unless I there happen to be some Valentino's sauce around...)
ramblin_ag02
AG
Yeah, Christians would never eat or use freely given flesh in order to gain life. That would be totally weird and crazy
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
swimmerbabe11
I'm really glad I don't have to worry about this because I am nearly 100% certain that my survival instinct is so low that I would be one of the first to die.

If we are voting, I lean more on MQB's side than the other. I think we treat our bodies as way more disposable than they are..its bad theology. Bodily resurrection is real and we should treat our bodies as though we expect to get them back. However, I think this is a situation that requires grace and compassion.

And also I have a lot of conspiracy hat feelings about the people doing organ harvesting and that whole industry..
AGC
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I'm really glad I don't have to worry about this because I am nearly 100% certain that my survival instinct is so low that I would be one of the first to die.

If we are voting, I lean more on MQB's side than the other. I think we treat our bodies as way more disposable than they are..its bad theology. Bodily resurrection is real and we should treat our bodies as though we expect to get them back. However, I think this is a situation that requires grace and compassion.

And also I have a lot of conspiracy hat feelings about the people doing organ harvesting and that whole industry..

Indeed! I don't even want to be tenderized here under the best of circumstances.
swimmerbabe11
I mean, I'd be one of those people that if I even manage to kill or find a dead polar bear to eat, I'd accidentally eat the liver and die of vitamin a(?) overdose.
kurt vonnegut
AG
For those on the side against cannibalism in all cases on the grounds that those that are saved will be resurrected with their bodies. . .

Am I thinking about the question incorrectly or too pragmatically when I ask 'What obstacle could cannibalism possibly be for God in resurrecting someone with their body?" People can die from being burnt, exploded, torn apart, eaten by animals, or far far worse. If a body is buried, the body can be eaten by maggots and decomposed by bacteria.

It just seems that no matter what, when we die, the material and the flesh we are made of inevitably suffers a 'violation' far worse than what we are talking about. But, we don't consider those to be obstacles for God to resurrect that person in Heaven with their body, do we?

The idea that what happens to our bodies in this life affects our body in some life beyond this feels almost materialistic. Or maybe, it feels like an attachment to the material that doesn't match my understanding of what Christians belief. It all reminds more like the ancient religions that would buried loved ones with food and gifts and weapons and other items for them to use in the next life. Or like cultures that would wrap or mummify their loved ones to slow the decay process.

Just thinking out loud, appreciate any responses.
AGC
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I mean, I'd be one of those people that if I even manage to kill or find a dead polar bear to eat, I'd accidentally eat the liver and die of vitamin a(?) overdose.

You could just eat some meat and bury part of the carcass to grow your greens like the Inuit. Feel like that would last you a good while.
swimmerbabe11
This is a great question and it totally makes sense to ask! It's questions like these that make me think that it's important to practice things! The way we treat our dead is a testimony of our beliefs! We believe that our bodies are just asleep in Christ and will be resurrected. It's not a question of "if" God can return them to whole, because of course He can! However, we are not the gnostics who believe that God is simply a spirit and only our souls are "us". Christ came to flesh! God and man in one. Likewise, we will be reunited with our body in Heaven at the end of days. When we practice our faith in realistic way that reflects this, we are less likely to lose sight of those things. Correct practice reinforces correct theology.

I don't believe that preserving the body does anything to "help" God out with the body, but rather, it's a practice to demonstrate that and pay respect to my faith in the resurrection of the body and the life everlasting.

In the words of children, we do it so that you'll ask that question.
Sapper Redux
Okay, but if we also value life, why is it a problem if we use organs that are otherwise going to rot to save lives? You say you're not a gnostic, but you're prioritizing respect for a dead body over respect for a living body.
DirtDiver
kurt vonnegut said:

For those on the side against cannibalism in all cases on the grounds that those that are saved will be resurrected with their bodies. . .

Am I thinking about the question incorrectly or too pragmatically when I ask 'What obstacle could cannibalism possibly be for God in resurrecting someone with their body?" People can die from being burnt, exploded, torn apart, eaten by animals, or far far worse. If a body is buried, the body can be eaten by maggots and decomposed by bacteria.

It just seems that no matter what, when we die, the material and the flesh we are made of inevitably suffers a 'violation' far worse than what we are talking about. But, we don't consider those to be obstacles for God to resurrect that person in Heaven with their body, do we?

The idea that what happens to our bodies in this life affects our body in some life beyond this feels almost materialistic. Or maybe, it feels like an attachment to the material that doesn't match my understanding of what Christians belief. It all reminds more like the ancient religions that would buried loved ones with food and gifts and weapons and other items for them to use in the next life. Or like cultures that would wrap or mummify their loved ones to slow the decay process.

Just thinking out loud, appreciate any responses.

I love the logic on this first few paragraphs. Maggots, cannibals, fires, explosions, digestion, decay, would not be obstacles to God in any form or fashion.

From a biblical perspective I believe that a person's body is resurrected in the end. Jesus' was. He was fully resurrected and yet capable is displaying holes in His hands. In many of His miracles He's healing birth defects and restoring lame limbs.

What does our bodily resurrection fully look like in case of an explosion or consumption? I have no idea, however, he's given me enough reason to trust in His abilities.

35 But someone will say, "How are the dead raised? And with what kind of body do they come?" 36 You fool! That which you sow does not come to life unless it dies; 37 and that which you sow, you do not sow the body which is to be, but a bare grain, perhaps of wheat or of something else. 38 But God gives it a body just as He wished, and to each of the seeds a body of its own. 39 All flesh is not the same flesh, but there is one flesh of men, and another flesh of beasts, and another flesh of birds, and another of fish. 40 There are also heavenly bodies and earthly bodies, but the glory of the heavenly is one, and the glory of the earthly is another. 41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars; for star differs from star in glory.

42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown a perishable body, it is raised an imperishable body; 43 it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; 44 it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body. 45 So also it is written, "The first man, Adam, became a living soul." The last Adam became a life-giving spirit. 46 However, the spiritual is not first, but the natural; then the spiritual. 47 The first man is from the earth, earthy; the second man is from heaven. 48 As is the earthy, so also are those who are earthy; and as is the heavenly, so also are those who are heavenly. 49 Just as we have borne the image of the earthy, we will also bear the image of the heavenly.
DirtDiver

Quote:

1. They aren't sleeping. They're dead. Their body has ceased to function. Their organs are going to rot away rapidly if left alone. Even if you believe they will be resurrected, it won't be in their current body. I shudder to think what a burn victim would go through if their resurrected body was just a continuation of their mortal body, complete with functional nervous system.

This view of a burn victim being eternally traumatized in Heaven is not biblically supported.

3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne, saying, "Behold, the tabernacle of God is among men, and He will dwell among them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself will be among them, 4 and He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any death; there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away."

5 And He who sits on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new." And He *said, "Write, for these words are faithful and true."

Our primary example of the resurrection is Jesus. Post resurrection, was there any indication the He was physically reliving the crucifixion moment by moment in His interaction with others?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.