Where some see an invasion others see hope

11,442 Views | 208 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by Rongagin71
schmendeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AGC said:

schmendeler said:

I've posted actual news articles with actual senators talking about what happened, and I'm a troll?

When you have a time machine to change the past this will be a relevant talking point.

The legislation could still be passed. Biden has publicly asked Trump to work together in passing it. There's no time machine necessary. The truth is that trump doesn't want it passed because he wants to campaign on it. Which is understandable from a political perspective. It's honestly hilarious at this point that not one of you can admit that that is what happened.
AGC
AG
schmendeler said:

AGC said:

schmendeler said:

I've posted actual news articles with actual senators talking about what happened, and I'm a troll?

When you have a time machine to change the past this will be a relevant talking point.

The legislation could still be passed. Biden has publicly asked Trump to work together in passing it. There's no time machine necessary. The truth is that trump doesn't want it passed because he wants to campaign on it. Which is understandable from a political perspective. It's honestly hilarious at this point that not one of you can admit that that is what happened.

The legislation sucks. That's why it didn't pass.
schmendeler
AG
Ok I'm done here.
jkag89
schmendeler said:

jkag89 said:

No. Read my comment about politicians playing games with peoples lives for political gain, wealth, historical legacy, whatever . . .instead of trying to solve the problem. Do you deny the Biden Administration created this problem?

For whatever it is worth, I don't have a high opinion of Trump either. While most would label me conservative but I do not feel at home in either major political party. I have friends that tend to lean left that feel the same. One is the Evil Dumb Party, the other is the Dumb Evil Party.

Do you agree that in this particular instance the republicans passed on a chance to enact actual reform on the border because Trump told them to?
No, Both sides are ****s on this playing games for November votes.
chap
AG
You posted ONE article describing how only FOUR GOP Senators voted for it because it was a bad bill. I don't care how involved Lankford was, it was a crappy bill and the vast majority of the Republicans knew it. But yes, please continue with "Orange Man bad" and "Y'all are all idiots".

I really miss the old R&P community. Not sure why this isn't over on Politics.
swimmerbabe11
Every time I open this board, I get disappointed that this isn't a Leonard Stringfield thread about extraterrestrial aliens.
AGC
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

Every time I open this board, I get disappointed that this isn't a Leonard Stringfield thread about extraterrestrial aliens.

Immigration legislation will be signed on April 8th as part of an interplanetary humanitarian mission spearheaded by Alpha Centauri spacecraft manned by the angel Gabriel himself. Donald Trump's calling it a tribute to his negotiation skills. Joe Biden asked what ice cream flavor they're going to serve.
PabloSerna
AG
TxAgPreacher said:

Crossing the border illegally is immoral.
Finally a statement that has a religious/philosophical implication!

+++

So, first I would like to hear your understanding of the word "immoral" - because I have made the case that it is not immoral, since the "shutting down the border" does not square with God's plan for man to be a steward of creation.

Further, I cited Martin Luther King's letter from the Birmingham jail, in which he cites Aquinas on God's Natural Law vs. man's law. We are obligated to obey God above all.

(gets popcorn)

kurt vonnegut
AG
jkag89 said:

Depressing how much truth there is in this sentence. And depressing how many topics it can apply to. Neither side has the political will power to do anything sensible and meaningful on the issue, but I imagine politicians on both sides reading the bickering and finger pointing in this thread and doing this:

Rongagin71
AG
There are lots of issues, like abortion, that could have had a compromise long ago, but both sides use their side of the issue to invigorate their followers and raise contributions.
Old War Turtle was completely bent over by the Dems during the making of the so called Border compromise.
McConnel was probably the only high level politician even older and feebler than Biden.
At least he has advisors honest enough to recommend retirement.

Illegal immigration is immoral. Helping poor people is moral.
You need to get more specific to actually have a useful discussion.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Rongagin71 said:

There are lots of issues, like abortion, that could have had a compromise long ago, but both sides use their side of the issue to invigorate their followers and raise contributions.
Old War Turtle was completely bent over by the Dems during the making of the so called Border compromise.
McConnel was probably the only high level politician even older and feebler than Biden.

I don't think being specific has any utility if we are still in the political bickering 'reps did this' and 'dems did that' frame of mind.

Who is Old War Turtle?
AGC
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

Rongagin71 said:

I don't think being specific has any utility if we are still in the political bickering 'reps did this' and 'dems did that' frame of mind.

Who is Old War Turtle?

Cocaine Mitch.
AggieRain
AG
McConnel. Nickname.
jkag89
swimmerbabe11 said:

I'd take a Spydey thread about the Vatican is harboring ETs in its Secret Achieves or Men Staring at Goats to see what actually happened when Moses parted the Red Sea over this crap any day. I don't know why I even opened this thread much less let myself get drug (or is it dragged) into the conversation since it so damn frustrating.
HumpitPuryear
AG
jkag89 said:

schmendeler said:

jkag89 said:

No. Read my comment about politicians playing games with peoples lives for political gain, wealth, historical legacy, whatever . . .instead of trying to solve the problem. Do you deny the Biden Administration created this problem?

For whatever it is worth, I don't have a high opinion of Trump either. While most would label me conservative but I do not feel at home in either major political party. I have friends that tend to lean left that feel the same. One is the Evil Dumb Party, the other is the Dumb Evil Party.

Do you agree that in this particular instance the republicans passed on a chance to enact actual reform on the border because Trump told them to?

When you see that the two sides are us vs them and not D vs R it makes a lot more sense. Our politicians represent someone's interests it's just not the interests of common average Americans.
747Ag
AG
AggieRain said:

McConnel. Nickname.

Mr. Uniparty in the flesh...
Rongagin71
AG
320,000 flown to U.S. last year at taxpayer expense...
and here is an amendment to stop it that every Dem voted against.
Macarthur
https://manhattan.institute/article/bidens-immigration-parole-programs-are-working/

And they have to pay for it themselves.
Macarthur
https://immigrationimpact.com/2022/02/02/biden-secret-flights-of-migrants-debunked/
Rongagin71
AG
You actually believe that poor people can pay for plane tickets?
No, Biden may not pay directly but there are taxpayer funded NGO's that do.
Macarthur
Actually, yes. Most of these folks, if they come illegally, are paying someone to help get them here.

Yes, these folks do have money.
Macarthur
You can spin it how ever you want. The tweet is 100% false.
Rongagin71
AG
The tweet was of a Senator proposing an amendment
to stop the misuse of taxpayer money by the Biden Admin.
Sorry you didn't like it, but it was a real amendment aimed
at a real problem.
Rongagin71
AG
Macarthur said:

Actually, yes. Most of these folks, if they come illegally, are paying someone to help get them here.

Yes, these folks do have money.
Have you ever wondered how so many Somalians got to Minnesota?
That started back when Obama was Pres, and that mass was
flown in. So were many from Syria and other troubled areas.
And most of us just shut up and let it go because the U.N. voted
for it and payed at least in part (U.S. dues went up).
Macarthur
I've shown w facts why this proposed bill was misguided and the entire premise is wrong. All you've done is say "yeah, but…"

Rongagin71
AG
Okay, I'll show you that I actually read your stuff - but it is biased.

The first article's first sentence is "The Biden admins parole programs are successfully reducing both illegal and total immigration..." which is an accounting trick that ignores the fact that something like 8million illegal immigrants have entered the country since Trump left office.

The second article is more believable as it was written by Baron, excuse me, Aaron Reichlin-Melnick, who is Party Counsel at the American Immigration Council.
He writes "The Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) has a national network of shelters for migrant children. If a child arrives at the border, ORR will put the child on a plane..."and "Those who are loudly attacking the Biden admin for longstanding practices...are spreading fear and xenophobia..."
none of which answers my question about how, starting big time with Obama, so many young male Somalians and Syrians were flown into the U.S.
He also does not talk about how large caravans of illegal immigrants started being organized to take advantage of Biden's lax border policies.
I will say the actions of Gov Abbott, especially the publicity generated, seems to have slowed the flood through Texas, but that is probably only temporary until after the Presidential election.
Macarthur
So, yes, the tweet was wrong.

So much so that we had to go back to Obama and ***** about something.
Rongagin71
AG
Your attempted proof trying to show that the video of the Senator
proposing a law to shut down Biden's misuse of Federal funds
was based on incorrect facts was itself just gaslighting.
I point out that if only a few deserving immigrants like separated
children were being flown around, it should have been easy
to pass a law limiting the admin's use of aircraft transportation.

HumpitPuryear
AG
Macarthur said:

I've shown w facts why this proposed bill was misguided and the entire premise is wrong. All you've done is say "yeah, but…"

The bill was to prevent US paid flights from OTHER COUNTRIES TO US CITIES. Your article supposedly debunking this issue is about flights within the US. Two completely different issues.

LOL at the other article - "Biden's immigration policies are actually very successful, really guys, it's awesome." Even the far left looney mayors of NYC and Chicago don't agree with that gaslighting BS.
TAMU1990
AG
This is so damn stupid - we have no money. The US can't not house, feed, clothe, educate, provide healthcare, arrest, and employ the rest of the world. The conversation ends here. Doesn't matter they are poor from Bangladesh, Honduras, Senagal or anywhere else in this world. They all need to be deported. Fine employers harshly for employing them, tax remittances at 50%, and tell other countries they are taking them back. Drone the narco state of Mexico. It's an act of war what the Mexican President is doing and what he said on 60 minutes.
Macarthur
TAMU1990 said:

This is so damn stupid - we have no money. The US can't not house, feed, clothe, educate, provide healthcare, arrest, and employ the rest of the world. The conversation ends here. Doesn't matter they are poor from Bangladesh, Honduras, Senagal or anywhere else in this world. They all need to be deported. Fine employers harshly for employing them, tax remittances at 50%, and tell other countries they are taking them back. Drone the narco state of Mexico. It's an act of war what the Mexican President is doing and what he said on 60 minutes.
there is literally no one arguing that we should do this.
Rongagin71
AG
There aren't enough yet to force passage of a law banning illegals from receiving taxpayer funds, but there is a growing number of voters who would like to see some kind of brake put on the give-aways.
TxAgPreacher
S
PabloSerna said:

TxAgPreacher said:

Crossing the border illegally is immoral.
Finally a statement that has a religious/philosophical implication!

+++

So, first I would like to hear your understanding of the word "immoral" - because I have made the case that it is not immoral, since the "shutting down the border" does not square with God's plan for man to be a steward of creation.

Further, I cited Martin Luther King's letter from the Birmingham jail, in which he cites Aquinas on God's Natural Law vs. man's law. We are obligated to obey God above all.

(gets popcorn)

God's law tells us to obey the government. Coming into the country illegally, when you can go through the process legally makes you a criminal.

Titus 3:1 Remind them to be subject to rulers and authorities, to obey
Rongagin71
AG
HumpitPuryear said:

Macarthur said:

The bill was to prevent US paid flights from OTHER COUNTRIES TO US CITIES. Your article supposedly debunking this issue is about flights within the US. Two completely different issues.

LOL at the other article - "Biden's immigration policies are actually very successful, really guys, it's awesome." Even the far left looney mayors of NYC and Chicago don't agree with that gaslighting BS.
Turns out that Florida and Texas are getting most of the incoming flights.
One would have to be stupid not to suspect the Biden Admin of doing that
to punish its strongest political opponents.

https://texasscorecard.com/state/texas-requests-courts-reconsider-lawsuit-to-stop-biden-administration-from-misusing-parole/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.