Trigger Warning coming to your local Good Friday Passion narrative

4,868 Views | 103 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by one MEEN Ag
one MEEN Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Talmud is the New Testament equivalent for Jews. It is surely holy in the eyes of its Jewish creators. Modern jews might downplay it, but the decision for it to be created, curated, kept, and updated by the Pharisees shows its authority within its existence in judiasm. Its a collection of prescriptions and rulings by the Pharisees (some absolutely disgusting and harrowing), of course it holds authority. Go burn one and see what the jewish communities say. They won't react like its the bylaws of your HOA that got thrown in the trash, even if you think just as much of it. The Talmud is 'common-law-ification' of the laws and practices handed down in the OT but finagled through predicaments such as losing the most central part of the religion. It is not a letter directly against Jesus, but it certainly includes going concerns like the fallout of Jesus, God no longer accepting the scapegoat, and the temple being destroyed.

And I am glad you used the word Gehenna. Jesus used that word repeatedly when talking to the Pharisees to describe a place outside of the Kingdom of God, where wickedness goes and is filled with torment of the soul. I think you mean Gehinnom which is purposefully a word that avoids greek translation and is totally something completely different than outer darkness where wickedness goes. Gehinnom is a place of punishment for the wicked. There's levels and different sins have different punishments. The unrepentant get annihilated or punished further. Definitely not anything like hell, no sir ee.

"Gehinnom, the New Coke of Hell' has a certain ring to it. New name, same great place of punishment.

I think you need to learn a bit more about both religions here.
Zobel
AG
The sprinkling of the blood at Sinai ratified a covenant. "[Moses] took the Book of the Covenant and read it to the people, who replied, "All that the LORD has spoken we will do, and we will be obedient." So Moses took the blood, sprinkled it on the people, and said, "This is the blood of the covenant that the LORD has made with you in accordance with all these words."

Matthew 26:28 - "This is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins."

The covenant at Sinai had both blessings and curses attached.
Quote:

If you will not listen to me and will not do all these commandments, if you spurn my statutes, and if your soul abhors my rules, so that you will not do all my commandments, but break my covenant, then I will do this to you: I will visit you with panic, with wasting disease and fever that consume the eyes and make the heart ache. And you shall sow your seed in vain, for your enemies shall eat it. I will set my face against you, and you shall be struck down before your enemies. Those who hate you shall rule over you, and you shall flee when none pursues you. And if in spite of this you will not listen to me, then I will discipline you again sevenfold for your sins, and I will break the pride of your power, and I will make your heavens like iron and your earth like bronze. And your strength shall be spent in vain, for your land shall not yield its increase, and the trees of the land shall not yield their fruit.

Then if you walk contrary to me and will not listen to me, I will continue striking you, sevenfold for your sins. And I will let loose the wild beasts against you, which shall bereave you of your children and destroy your livestock and make you few in number, so that your roads shall be deserted.

And if by this discipline you are not turned to me but walk contrary to me, then I also will walk contrary to you, and I myself will strike you sevenfold for your sins. And I will bring a sword upon you, that shall execute vengeance for the covenant. And if you gather within your cities, I will send pestilence among you, and you shall be delivered into the hand of the enemy. When I break your supply of bread, ten women shall bake your bread in a single oven and shall dole out your bread again by weight, and you shall eat and not be satisfied.

But if in spite of this you will not listen to me, but walk contrary to me, then I will walk contrary to you in fury, and I myself will discipline you sevenfold for your sins. You shall eat the flesh of your sons, and you shall eat the flesh of your daughters. And I will destroy your high places and cut down your incense altars and cast your dead bodies upon the dead bodies of your idols, and my soul will abhor you. And I will lay your cities waste and will make your sanctuaries desolate, and I will not smell your pleasing aromas. And I myself will devastate the land, so that your enemies who settle in it shall be appalled at it. And I will scatter you among the nations, and I will unsheathe the sword after you, and your land shall be a desolation, and your cities shall be a waste.

Then the land shall enjoy its Sabbaths as long as it lies desolate, while you are in your enemies' land; then the land shall rest, and enjoy its Sabbaths. As long as it lies desolate it shall have rest, the rest that it did not have on your Sabbaths when you were dwelling in it. And as for those of you who are left, I will send faintness into their hearts in the lands of their enemies. The sound of a driven leaf shall put them to flight, and they shall flee as one flees from the sword, and they shall fall when none pursues. They shall stumble over one another, as if to escape a sword, though none pursues. And you shall have no power to stand before your enemies. And you shall perish among the nations, and the land of your enemies shall eat you up. And those of you who are left shall rot away in your enemies' lands because of their iniquity, and also because of the iniquities of their fathers they shall rot away like them.

But if they confess their iniquity and the iniquity of their fathers in their treachery that they committed against me, and also in walking contrary to me, so that I walked contrary to them and brought them into the land of their enemies -- if then their uncircumcised heart is humbled and they make amends for their iniquity, then I will remember my covenant with Jacob, and I will remember my covenant with Isaac and my covenant with Abraham, and I will remember the land. But the land shall be abandoned by them and enjoy its Sabbaths while it lies desolate without them, and they shall make amends for their iniquity, because they spurned my rules and their soul abhorred my statutes. Yet for all that, when they are in the land of their enemies, I will not spurn them, neither will I abhor them so as to destroy them utterly and break my covenant with them, for I am the LORD their God. But I will for their sake remember the covenant with their forefathers, whom I brought out of the land of Egypt in the sight of the nations, that I might be their God: I am the LORD.

These are the statutes and rules and laws that the LORD made between himself and the people of Israel through Moses on Mount Sinai.
Bold above seems pretty consistent with St John. Those who repented received innumerable good things and blessings.

Was Sinai a blessing or a curse for Israel? Have you read the OT?

Quote:

Doesn't seem like he views it in a positive light.
It wasn't a positive thing, why would anyone view it in a positive light? They meant it for evil - God meant it for good.
AGC
AG
Sapper Redux said:

one MEEN Ag said:

Please tell me the proper context to interpret 'The one from Nazereth is boiling in excrement.' Please keep in mind that there was euphemism about Jesus Christ out of fear that if a nonjew saw what the Jews were writing about Jesus there would certainly be retribution.

And per our previous conversation, you don't believe that Jews believe in hell. Is Jesus boiling in excrement in heaven?

Again, I implore you to learn a modicum about normative ethics versus descriptive ethics. This is a central rebuke of the new holy book of Judiasm. That was written specifically in the context of rejecting Jesus and working around the commandments of God because God destroyed the temple. Bringing this up is central to jewish beliefs about Christ and Christians. What they should do. You respond with a descriptive ethic about christians historically persecuting jews -something that is obviously condemned and something Christian's shouldn't do. Can jews condemn what their talmud says about Christ? They can't.

Also, once again we have jewish authorities dabbling in summoning spirits. Learning nothing from Saul. This is full blown communion with evil while also not being able to save themselves from demon possession (because they refuse to call on Jesus' name).

That's a long post to say you know absolutely nothing about the Talmud or Jewish history. The Talmud is not a "holy book." It's the Mishnah, a compendium of traditions from the Torah presented through rabbinic debates and cases, and then surrounded by the Gemara, which is a series of different scholars discussing the meaning or related topics of that particular chapter. It's massive. 63 tractates usually published as 73 volumes of incredibly dense material.

The Talmud is not authoritative in the way a book of laws would today be authoritative. It certainly isn't considered holy on its own. Only the Hebrew Bible is considered holy. It offers debates and stories meant to inform and guide rabbinic scholars and leaders. The precise details of Halacha are drawn from the Talmud but are never agreed upon by everyone. Whoever it is that says Reform Jews aren't practicing a religion is wrong. Their rabbis can quite easily point to where the Talmud offers a perspective that informs their views. But it just informs. The opinion or story of one person who wrote in the Talmud is just that. The opinion or story of one person. It's not binding. It's not even assumed to be historically true that it happened. It's instead meant to illustrate a point being argued in the Mishnah and provide a different perspective. Oh, and Jesus is not very present. A couple of places here and there are argued to be Jesus. May or may not be. But the Talmud is interested in Jews. And the Babylonian Talmud was written by a community that was not much dealing with the centralized pressures of Roman Christianity. Christianity just isn't a thing in the Talmud.

For the history, anything a Jew said or did (or didn't do) in medieval or early modern or even modern Europe could result in violence. Even without violence they were locked into horrid ghettos, forced to dress in certain ways, could be faced with forced conversion or expulsion, and could loose all of their rights and property at a moment's notice. It certainly created bitterness amongst many towards Christianity and Jesus, and Jewish leaders were always forced to defend against claims of secret rituals or attacks on Jesus.

No, Jews don't have Hell. The most common belief is in Gehenna, a place of punishment that lasts, at most, 13 months. The worst souls may be just destroyed.

"Whoever it is that says"? No need to be passive aggressive.

I'm not the reformed rabbi year after year being evasive and vague who says he has people that both do and don't believe in God at his synagogue. If one can be Jewish and not believe in God, then the word is imprecise and inappropriate for actual discussion, or else it means something less than religion. Or perhaps we can find a new term? What do you suggest to differentiate religion from culture?
Sapper Redux
Judaism is an ethnoreligion. It's an ethnicity with a faith attached to the ethnicity and visa versa. You keep trying to force Judaism into a Christian box and it doesn't work. It's an older notion of faith and peoplehood. So yes, at any synagogue, including Orthodox, you could have people attending and participating without personally believing God is real, because being part of the Jewish people and Jewish traditions is so vital.
Sapper Redux
one MEEN Ag said:

The Talmud is the New Testament equivalent for Jews. It is surely holy in the eyes of its Jewish creators. Modern jews might downplay it, but the decision for it to be created, curated, kept, and updated by the Pharisees shows its authority within its existence in judiasm. Its a collection of prescriptions and rulings by the Pharisees (some absolutely disgusting and harrowing), of course it holds authority. Go burn one and see what the jewish communities say. They won't react like its the bylaws of your HOA that got thrown in the trash, even if you think just as much of it. The Talmud is 'common-law-ification' of the laws and practices handed down in the OT but finagled through predicaments such as losing the most central part of the religion. It is not a letter directly against Jesus, but it certainly includes going concerns like the fallout of Jesus, God no longer accepting the scapegoat, and the temple being destroyed.

And I am glad you used the word Gehenna. Jesus used that word repeatedly when talking to the Pharisees to describe a place outside of the Kingdom of God, where wickedness goes and is filled with torment of the soul. I think you mean Gehinnom which is purposefully a word that avoids greek translation and is totally something completely different than outer darkness where wickedness goes. Gehinnom is a place of punishment for the wicked. There's levels and different sins have different punishments. The unrepentant get annihilated or punished further. Definitely not anything like hell, no sir ee.

"Gehinnom, the New Coke of Hell' has a certain ring to it. New name, same great place of punishment.

I think you need to learn a bit more about both religions here.

No it's not. The New Testament is considered divinely inspired and canonical. The Talmud is not part of the Bible. It is not divinely inspired. In fact, it's blatantly open about the fact that it's not. Your average synagogue doesn't even have the Talmud. Again, it's 73 printed volumes. It's a place to launch debates and discussions. It's not a final authority on everything or much of anything. Yeah, it discusses central issues following the destruction of the Temple. And?
AGC
AG
Sapper Redux said:

Judaism is an ethnoreligion. It's an ethnicity with a faith attached to the ethnicity and visa versa. You keep trying to force Judaism into a Christian box and it doesn't work. It's an older notion of faith and peoplehood. So yes, at any synagogue, including Orthodox, you could have people attending and participating without personally believing God is real, because being part of the Jewish people and Jewish traditions is so vital.

When the secular and sacred co-mingle in a place but secularism drives the conversation, we are faced with a difficult truth: it's not a sacred space but a secular one. As I've said before, I've participated in Seders and elements are added to represent feminism and lgbt+ inclusion. It may at one time have been ethnoreligious, but ethnopolitical is a more apt term in our country with various and diverse religious beliefs permitted inside the umbrella. That's not a 'Christian' box, but a general spiritual perspective.

However, no rabbi worth his salt would ever be accused of certainty, so I'll end it there.
Sapper Redux
AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

When the secular and sacred co-mingle in a place but secularism drives the conversation, we are faced with a difficult truth: it's not a sacred space but a secular one. As I've said before, I've participated in Seders and elements are added to represent feminism and lgbt+ inclusion. It may at one time have been ethnoreligious, but ethnopolitical is a more apt term in our country with various and diverse religious beliefs permitted inside the umbrella. That's not a 'Christian' box, but a general spiritual perspective.

However, no rabbi worth his salt would ever be accused of certainty, so I'll end it there.

You're forcing a Christian idea of religion and how a faith is lived onto a non-Christian people. Period. Secularism doesn't "drive the conversation." Pick up a Siddur and sit through a Saturday service and tell me how secular it is. There's less preaching than your average Protestant service and far, far more prayer and reading of scripture. You just can't wrap your head around the fact that religion and ethnicity are intricately blended in Judaism.
Zobel
AG
Christianity is an ethnoreligion.
AGC
AG
Sapper Redux said:

AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

You're forcing a Christian idea of religion and how a faith is lived onto a non-Christian people. Period. Secularism doesn't "drive the conversation." Pick up a Siddur and sit through a Saturday service and tell me how secular it is. There's less preaching than your average Protestant service and far, far more prayer and reading of scripture. You just can't wrap your head around the fact that religion and ethnicity are intricately blended in Judaism.

I'm Anglican, all the way down to contra dancing. Go bark up another tree with this stuff and your novel use of the word 'faith' to mean not religion. You may have more in common with Christian nationalists than you think.
Sapper Redux
AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

I'm Anglican, all the way down to contra dancing. Go bark up another tree with this stuff and your novel use of the word 'faith' to mean not religion. You may have more in common with Christian nationalists than you think.

Wait, you think Anglicans are equivalent to Jews? Ethnoreligion is really not an easy concept for you, is it?
Sapper Redux
Zobel said:

No it isn't. It's a religion. It can be expressed differently depending on the group, but it's not a faith tied to a particular group. That said, there are groups like the Amish and Mennonites and some Syrian Coptic Christians who come much closer. Though the religion is still universalizing and the ethnic / tribal aspect is different.
AGC
AG
Sapper Redux said:

AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

Wait, you think Anglicans are equivalent to Jews? Ethnoreligion is really not an easy concept for you, is it?

I see it in my family members weekly. It's a very easy concept to understand. What's hard are semantic arguments used to claim moral victories. Enjoyed your definition of 'faith' btw…
Sapper Redux
AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

I see it in my family members weekly. It's a very easy concept to understand. What's hard are semantic arguments used to claim moral victories. Enjoyed your definition of 'faith' btw…

You're not describing an ethnoreligion.
AGC
AG
Sapper Redux said:

AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

Correct, because it's so expansive that it means little more than chosen identity and people with which one associates. So more political than anything else. To be specific though, this is my experience with the reformed.
Zobel
AG
You're wrong. One of the most basic claims of the Christian faith is that those of the faith are a people.

"you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation (ethnos), a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light."

Being Christian makes you a member of the people of Yahweh, the same people called out of Egypt and given the covenant at Sinai. That claim is made multiple times in the NT by various authors.
BonfireNerd04
Zobel said:

How so?

If an Irish Catholic becomes an atheist, then he ceases to be "Catholic", but is still "Irish". The ethnic and religious classifications are independent of each other.

But if a Jew becomes an atheist, he's still "a Jew". If he later decides to start practicing Judaism again, he is not expected to convert.
Zobel
AG
That's a modern take on both. In fact, the very idea of ethnicity as a separate thing from the nomos of a people - which includes their religious practices - is very modern.

Prior to the 30 years war the example you gave wouldn't have made sense. It was an intentional subordination of faith to national identity. In fact this is was produced the schism between reformed and Orthodox Jews.

Thats not what the scriptures themselves claim to be. Explicitly so, in fact - "here there is no Jew or Greek, barbarian or Scythian." When you become a Christian you become part of a new people group, repeatedly identified as the people of God, in the same language as is used in the Torah to identify the people of Israel.
DeProfundis
schmendeler said:

Anyone not aware of Elon musk's embracing of racist and far right tropes simply isn't paying attention at this point.

I think the tropes he's embracing would have been left of Bill Clinton
Sapper Redux
Zobel said:

That's a modern take on both. In fact, the very idea of ethnicity as a separate thing from the nomos of a people - which includes their religious practices - is very modern.

Prior to the 30 years war the example you gave wouldn't have made sense. It was an intentional subordination of faith to national identity. In fact this is was produced the schism between reformed and Orthodox Jews.

Thats not what the scriptures themselves claim to be. Explicitly so, in fact - "here there is no Jew or Greek, barbarian or Scythian." When you become a Christian you become part of a new people group, repeatedly identified as the people of God, in the same language as is used in the Torah to identify the people of Israel.

Yes, the division of religion and peoplehood is new and was a result primarily of the syncretism of the Roman Empire and then Christianity. Judaism is a remnant of that older era. There is no way to become a Jew without being adopted into the Jewish people and practicing the culture as well as the religion. There is no cultural requirement for Christianity. There is no specific ethnic tradition that has to be adopted and there is no hereditary component.
Zobel
AG
There is no way to become a Christian without being adopted into the Christian people and practicing the culture as well as the religion.

Quote:

There is no cultural requirement for Christianity. There is no specific ethnic tradition that has to be adopted and there is no hereditary component.

This is absurdly false. Christianity has cultural requirements. You just don't notice them because our culture is steeped in them and they are normative.

The idea of a specific genetic tradition is a modern and false requirement. Youre talking out of both sides of your mouth here. The scriptures don't present being an Israelite as hereditary. "A mixed multitude went out of Egypt". There is no hereditary requirement to be Jewish. And St Paul saw gentile Christians as part of his people - referring to those who went out of Egypt as "our fathers".

As for an ethnic tradition in the classical sense as in an ethnos or nation with a nomos or way of life - this too is false. There absolutely is a pattern of life for being a Christian. There is one nomos that defines the ethnos of Christian. It is not exclusively one tribe - there can be Greek Christians and Russian Christians and American Christians - just as not all Israelites were Judaeans.
Sapper Redux
There are absolutely a multitude of ways to be a Christian that are influenced by ethnic customs and traditions that grew up before Christianity was introduced and that blend old ways and new. The French Jesuits in Canada were masters at introducing and integrating Christian theology while preserving much of the native ethnic norms and practices. Today you will not find the same practice or culture in an Irish Catholic Church in Boston vs a Nigerian Catholic Church in Africa. The theology is the same. The catechism is the same. The culture will be wildly different. The traditions and stories and methods will be different.

You seem to be assuming theology and ethnicity are the same thing. That culture flows from religion rather than religion being directly influenced by culture as much as the other way round. You privilege your religion over everything else and it just doesn't work that way in the real world. Religion is an expression of human societies, not the singular driver of human societies.

Judaism and Jews integrate religion into their ethnic peoplehood. And yes, ancients had a notion of peoples or ethnicity, though the definition is not exactly comparable to ours. And genetic relations are part of that. Judaism is not purely based on genetics, but the links between the Jewish people do form a bedrock of community in addition to the religious traditions. Someone who wants to convert to Judaism has to become a Jew, as in a member of the Jewish people, akin to being adopted into a tribe. There's nothing comparable about converting to Christianity. It is largely separate from other cultural and familial connections.
Sapper Redux
AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

Correct, because it's so expansive that it means little more than chosen identity and people with which one associates. So more political than anything else. To be specific though, this is my experience with the reformed.

It's Reform. Not reformed. And your arrogance towards them is pretty gross. Hope you're kinder to them in person.
Zobel
AG
There are continuities and discontinuities. Just like you are Jewish but live a radically different life than other atheist Jews around the world - never mind Orthodox Jews.

There are norms to being a Christian. You can't be a pagan for starters. since the ancient and pagan world saw no delineation between religion and politics and culture and business and city life, that in and of itself was a massive change. And society changed as a result.

Quote:

There's nothing comparable about converting to Christianity.

repeating blatantly false things like this don't make them true.
DeProfundis
Apostolic Christianity is absolutely an ethnoreligion.

I have been unfortunate enough to be lumped in with unsavory characters who could uncharitably through correctly be described as "racist" due to the nature of the "strange bedfellows" that come with the "big tent" inherent in the New/Paleo/Dissident Right.

While I do believe race is real and exists beyond societal construct (I don't see how anyone could have a passing knowledge of genetics and how different environmental pressures select for fitness and not think otherwise) what most of these "racists" are looking for is a "societal glue". Race is a societal glue but it's a far inferior one to the "people set apart" that make up the Body of Christ.

Apostolic Christians are truly one people whose community and culture is best evidenced by their communion in the literal Body of Christ. I feel a much greater kinship and belonging with a 65 year old Vietnamese Catholic than I would a 35 year old blonde hair blue eyed Mormon dude. I've often looked around my Church and thought that one of my favorite things about the makeup of the parish and one of my least favorite things about the country is its diversity of countries of origin. Vietnamese, Kenyan, Filipino, Mexican, Polish, all are equally welcome at the table of the Lord, so long as they are Catholic.

When you have no glue and you throw a bunch of different tribes together you get tribalism and chaos. When you make a bunch of different tribes into one family united by the Body of Christ you get true fellowship and community.

That's one of the reasons I wish mass was still said in Latin universally. No matter where you went, no matter which continent you were on, everyone heard the mass in the same Language, a dead language but so very alive in the liturgy
Zobel
AG
It's an ethnoreligion in its own claims. Trying to convince a Christian it is not is about as sensical as saying Christ didn't rise from the dead.

The really amusing thing is that the Jewish authors of the NT identified this ethnoreligion as their very own faith, saying all Christians were the same people, tribe, and nation as they were, quoting the Torah when they did.
schmendeler
AG
There are no atheist christians.
Zobel
AG
It can't be defined as ethnoreligion if you can take the religion out of it and then it's still the same thing. If you can be a Jew and not practice Judaism then Judaism is not an ethnoreligion either - it's just a modern ethnicity. Which, I'll grant you Christianity is not.
Sapper Redux
You're complaining about modern definitions of ethnicity and then impose a modern notion of religion on the discussion of a community where the line between theology, customs, norms, and everyday practice don't fit neat Christian definitions.
Sapper Redux
This is the exact opposite of an ethnoreligion. And a weird way to admit you hang around racists.
Zobel
AG
and you're completely ignorant about Christian communities where the line between theology, customs, norms, and everyday practice are every bit as intermingled as with Judaism.

You want to have your cake and eat it too.

Either Judaism is defined by its (modern) ethnicity (i.e., genetics) and the religion follows, in which case a "real Jew" is one by birth only. Or you can become a Jew by cultural or ritual practice, in which case a "real Jew" is one by faith or practice. In the former, nothing you do can change your Judaism. In the latter, Judaism is a choice, and a product of lived experience. You may say, you are a Jew by birth and can become a Jew by choice. But that's neither ethnicity or ethnoreligion, because it is not the overlap of religion and faith. It's an associative community.

What you're describing is a nomos, a way of being or life -- which includes customs, norms, everyday practice, and religion. This has nothing to do with ethnicity. You can be part of a people group without being born into them. Only in the modern definition of ethnicity can we exclude it. Since neither Judaism OR Christianity fit that modern definition, why quibble?

Who could seriously say that there is no nomos common to all Christians?

You may say that many modern Christians have forgotten and to some extent rejected this concept in favor of modern ethnicity or nationalism. Great. We agree. Likewise, Reform Judaism has rejected much of the nomos of Judaism in favor of modern sensibilities - hence the clear and obvious distinction in way of life between them and Orthodox Jews.

If there is no nomos common to all Christians, then there is no nomos common to all Jews. Put another way, if the various discontinuities between Christian groups is enough to divide them into separate peoples, then the discontinuities between Jewish groups is as well. Unless you reiterate the modern ethnic or genetic ties, in which case you're denying that what makes a Jew a Jew is anything but genetics, which denies the premise of ethnos as nomos to begin with.

The Jewish authors of the NT told gentile convert Christians that their fathers were under the cloud and passed through the sea. They told gentile convert Christians that they were formerly not a people, but were now a people - using the words for tribe, people, and nation - quoting the Torah. Christians are a People - defined by their way of life, culture, customs - distinct and separate from the world. A people called out from the world to be the people of God, who worship the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and are sojourners in this world because of it. Therefore a Christian cannot be a nationalist in the modern sense, because his ethnos - his nation - is that of the kingdom of God, and his people and tribe are Christians.

This is why ethnophyletism is an explicit heresy.
AGC
AG
Sapper Redux said:

AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

It's Reform. Not reformed. And your arrogance towards them is pretty gross. Hope you're kinder to them in person.

Are you really the person to make either of those statements with your treatment of Christians on this board? Are you so different?

Since we're talking about ethno-religions who was Felix Adler and what is Ethical Culture?
one MEEN Ag
AG
I always thought the jewish focus of 'ethno' anything was odd. The reason Abraham was called was because the nations of the world had all fallen and their angels that were supposed to shepherd them gave in and accepted worship from man.

There wasn't an identity or people group left worthy to be the founding block of God's nation, so God founded one himself. And it spread down a family lineage, but clearly you could marry into it, forsake your old customs and become Jewish. It isn't until you have a huge number of Abrahamic descendants that you can start intermarrying from the other tribal edges of jews.

Any genetic ethnicity that arises within Abrahamic lineages is just a distilling/reflection of phenotypes that are based out of the general area that everyone shares. Its a secondary effect, not a primary feature.

If I married into a jewish family, converted, and had kids - they would partake in the 'ethno' part of judiasm just fine, even though I would be bringing 50% non-ethno genes.

This is why Paul talks about lineage not being a saving grace and made a distinction about 'being a Torah follower' vs 'being jewish'.
Zobel
AG
Nevermind that being Jewish is literally being Judaean, which is an even further narrowed down subset of the same lineage. The majority of Israel wasn't Jewish.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Zobel said:

Nevermind that being Jewish is literally being Judaean, which is an even further narrowed down subset of the same lineage. The majority of Israel wasn't Jewish.
And that the Abrahamic covenants cover more than just the nation of Israel. God is very specific about who gets judgment and whose land the Israelites are not to encroach by a single inch.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.