Discussions with a Protestant evangelist

6,234 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 22 days ago by AgLiving06
Thaddeus73
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So a protestant evangelist placed the following card on my Silverado, probably at HEB. I emailed him back and asked him if he would like to discuss, as everything he alleged against Catholicism is 100% in error. He agreed, and we have been meeting at Jims the last two months to discuss. He's a very nice man, and I have made a new friend. We are definitely learning from each other about God's Word!...

dermdoc
AG
Thaddeus73 said:

So a protestant evangelist placed the following card on my Silverado, probably at HEB. I emailed him back and asked him if he would like to discuss, as everything he alleged against Catholicism is 100% in error. He agreed, and we have been meeting at Jims the last two months to discuss. He's a very nice man, and I have made a new friend. We are definitely learning from each other about God's Word!...

I believe sincere born again Protestants and Catholics are much closer in their beliefs than they think.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgLiving06
dermdoc said:

Thaddeus73 said:

I believe sincere born again Protestants and Catholics are much closer in their beliefs than they think.

Yes...Reformation, not Revolution.
DeProfundis
All you need to know about Evangelicals is that they think Catholics are going to hell for not being Christian, and that the modern State of Israel is God's chosen people.

They are not to be reasoned with
Thaddeus73
AG
He told me that you shouldn't do good works and boast, because then God won't get all of the glory, and God demands all of the glory. But then I corrected him with John 17:22, which he evidently had never read.

22 The glory which thou hast given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one,

This occurred after the Last Supper, when Jesus had given his apostles His Sacred Body and Precious Blood in the Eucharist, "His glory!"
UTExan
DeProfundis said:

All you need to know about Evangelicals is that they think Catholics are going to hell for not being Christian, and that the modern State of Israel is God's chosen people.

Talk about a brush a mile wide.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
747Ag
AG
DeProfundis said:

Yet, I've had good conversations with my boss on aspects of faith. She's married to the son of a Baptist preacher. Most recently, the conversation was about the manner in which I try to live my life, which in many respects did not comport with her general understanding of Catholics. Much of the conversation was her talking and me listening.

Nevertheless, we have shared values. We have a friendship. There's a foundation for good conversations based in reason. There's a shared trust. I recall sharing an article or thoughts on trust and being able to convince others of a position on this forum years ago. Still convinced that an element of trust is needed. It's why the street preacher approach yields less than a relationship. People don't care how much you know until they know you care.
whatthehey78
AG
DeProfundis said:

Soooo Christian of you.
DeProfundis
747Ag said:

DeProfundis said:

Yet, I've had good conversations with my boss on aspects of faith. She's married to the son of a Baptist preacher. Most recently, the conversation was about the manner in which I try to live my life, which in many respects did not comport with her general understanding of Catholics. Much of the conversation was her talking and me listening.

Nevertheless, we have shared values. We have a friendship. There's a foundation for good conversations based in reason. There's a shared trust. I recall sharing an article or thoughts on trust and being able to convince others of a position on this forum years ago. Still convinced that an element of trust is needed. It's why the street preacher approach yields less than a relationship. People don't care how much you know until they know you care.

Yes, I think that's possible with a person you have a relationship with. My circle of interactions does not contain many non-Catholics, especially with people I know well enough and am around enough to have more than a superficial conversation.

Most of my interaction with Protestants comes from extended family members who were poorly catechized and joined evangelical churches and work as "missionaries" in regions like Ethiopia and Poland that have been Christian a thousand years prior to their blend of Protestantism came into being. I also see this in my Corps buddies who are evangelical; we don't talk much anymore (not because of religion) but they also see Catholicism as some sort of "less-than".

It reminds me of how some Catholics hate SSPX but love Orthodoxy. Their love affair with Israel and hatred of the Church is non-sensical.
Thaddeus73
AG
I have found that once we get past the "Catholics are always wrong" phase of the conversation, then we can come to some kind of violent agreement...
TxAgPreacher
S
DeProfundis said:

I don't believe either.
PabloSerna
AG
God speed brother!

ETA: Silverado huh?
747Ag
AG
PabloSerna said:

God speed brother!

ETA: Silverado huh?

Look, I got a Silverado and a F-150. But I really want a 90s era D350.
Thaddeus73
AG
He also seemed to be saying that the following the 10 commandments was "works of the law," but in Jewish terminology, "Works of the law" means "Jewish works of the law," like circumcision, only eating kosher foods, washing drinking cups, not touching anything unclean, etc., and all of those things are gone with the wind in the NT....
Catag94
AG
I believe that born again believers, baptized with the Spirit are changed and the law is written in their hearts. We follow our Shepard and live in the Spirit rather than the flesh. In so doing, the "good works" are natural evidence of the true faith.

Many have and do follow the law (to a point), follow their religion (all denominations), and do "good works" without true faith, but they will not achieve salvation through those efforts. Jesus himself speaks of these on a couple of occasions.
No true believer, filled with the Spirit, does not do "good works". A tree is known by its fruit.

I also believe humility is in order and that John 17:22 does not ordain boasting of the good works that result of true faith. I do, however, believe that one should be assured in his faith.

"But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His." - Romans 8:9

Blessed Easter to you all, brothers in Christ.

"Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God." - Colossians 3:1
Thaddeus73
AG
And he kept saying we are saved by faith alone, which is nowhere to be found in the bible...in fact, 1 Corinthians 13:13 says that love is more important than faith...
Catag94
AG
Curious, what else saved the thief to Jesus' right or those who came before the law?
Zobel
AG
Faith as "intellectual assent to a set of facts" saved no one.

Faith as "faithfulness to the Most High God" is the only thing that saves. But that is demonstrated through and throughout our lives. This is what saved Abraham, and what saves us today.

The Law is powerless to save - that's what St Paul correctly says. Because the Law never was supposed to be about faithfulness in and of itself. A person could follow the Torah to the letter and not be faithful to the God of Israel. Thats why He told them their sacrifices and assemblies were unwanted, that's why He said "don't say the temple, the temple, the temple". Without faith, it means nothing. And faith and love go together inextricably. Hence, faithfulness is demonstrated by actions. That's why there is no dissonance between St James and St Paul.

To wit - "knowing that a person is not made righteous by works of the law but through faithfulness in Jesus Christ, we have been faithful in Christ Jesus, that we may be made righteous by faith from Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be made righteous."
AGC
AG
Catag94 said:

Curious, what else saved the thief to Jesus' right or those who came before the law?

Is that the correct or only way to read that story?
Catag94
AG
I don't see alternatives to reading it as that the man being crucified on Jesus' right is one who believed in his heart. Jesus saw this and responded much the same way he did when he told many, …"your faith has healed you".
AGC
AG
Catag94 said:

I don't see alternatives to reading it as that the man being crucified on Jesus' right is one who believed in his heart. Jesus saw this and responded much the same way he did when he told many, …"your faith has healed you".

The alternative would be not deriving theology with that as the basis. If Christ commands us to be baptized, to say simply that a prayer is sufficient is to contradict the dominical sacrament. One need not set God's works against His teaching but this is a quick way to do it.

It is to Zobel's point above.
TxAgPreacher
S
Zobel said:

Faith as "intellectual assent to a set of facts" saved no one.

Faith as "faithfulness to the Most High God" is the only thing that saves. But that is demonstrated through and throughout our lives. This is what saved Abraham, and what saves us today.

The Law is powerless to save - that's what St Paul correctly says. Because the Law never was supposed to be about faithfulness in and of itself. A person could follow the Torah to the letter and not be faithful to the God of Israel. Thats why He told them their sacrifices and assemblies were unwanted, that's why He said "don't say the temple, the temple, the temple". Without faith, it means nothing. And faith and love go together inextricably. Hence, faithfulness is demonstrated by actions. That's why there is no dissonance between St James and St Paul.

To wit - "knowing that a person is not made righteous by works of the law but through faithfulness in Jesus Christ, we have been faithful in Christ Jesus, that we may be made righteous by faith from Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be made righteous."
You cannot be saved by faith only.

You cannot be saved by works.

You cannot be saved without works.
Catag94
AG
AGC said:

Catag94 said:

The alternative would be not deriving theology with that as the basis. If Christ commands us to be baptized, to say simply that a prayer is sufficient is to contradict the dominical sacrament. One need not set God's works against His teaching but this is a quick way to do it.

It is to Zobel's point above.

What would you say to the idea that that individual was baptized (with the Holt Spirit)? I'd suggest this is the case just as the disciples and those souls on the day of Pentecost and so on. This would be consistent with Jesus discussion with Nicodemus and what He said to the Disciples. Also, what about those souls who Jesus visited between His death and resurrection? My guess is those who believed were baptized with the Spirit.
TxAgPreacher
S
But baptism with water is still commanded.
Catag94
AG
Please quote those scriptures.
AGC
AG
Catag94 said:

I wasn't trying to send us off on one of those threads.

I was merely saying we shouldn't create theology preferencing Christ's works over His commandments to us and the church's teaching in scripture. That's all.
TxAgPreacher
S
Catag94 said:

Quote:

James 2:14-24 14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, "Depart in peace, be warmed and filled," but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
18 But someone will say, "You have faith, and I have works." Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believeand tremble! 20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead? 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? 22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? 23 And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, "Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness." And he was called the friend of God. 24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.
Quote:

Jn 3:5 Jesus answered, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

1 Jn 5:1 - 8 Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves Him who begot also loves him who is begotten of Him. 2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome. 4 For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the worldour faith. 5 Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?

6 This is He who came by water and bloodJesus Christ; not only by water, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit who bears witness, because the Spirit is truth. 7 For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one. 8 And there are three that bear witness on earth: the Spirit, the water, and the blood; and these three agree as one.

1 Peter 3:18 - 22.18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive by the Spirit, 19 by whom also He went and preached to the spirits in prison, 20 who formerly were disobedient, when once the Divine longsuffering waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water. 21 There is also an antitype which now saves us - baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22 who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, angels and authorities and powers having been made subject to Him.

DirtDiver
  • Faith doesn't save anyone.
  • Only God/Jesus saves people.

2 Tim. 1:8 Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord or of me His prisoner, but join with me in suffering for the gospel according to the power of God, 9 who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was granted us in Christ Jesus from all eternity,

• God saves us (people) through the vehicle of faith in Him

Eph. 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Abraham: One of the best examples of the moment of faith.

Genesis 15:5"Now look toward the heavens, and count the stars, if you are able to count them." And He said to him, "So shall your descendants be." 6 Then he believed in the Lord; and He reckoned it to him as righteousness.

How the gospel works...

Step 1. Listen
So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ. Romans 10:17
In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise, Ephesians

Listen to what? The gospel (Good News)...
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. Romans 1:17

What is this gospel?
15 Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand, 2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain. 3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,

Summary:
Christ did for our sins. (MY sins)
He was buried
He rose on the third day.

The gospel message is in fact a set of facts that a person must hear. It's a very specific set of facts about my sin and what Jesus did for my sin. Once I hear this gospel message I have a few options.

Disbelieve the facts.
Ignore the facts.
Believe the facts and reject the gift. (I would say this it's extremely rare that someone would be convinced that Jesus died for them and rose from the dead and said, "no thanks")
Believe the facts and receive the gift.

Step 3: Believe

16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. 18 He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

The proper response when receiving a free gift if to tell God, "thank you!"

Works:
1. Is not good news
2. are never good enough
3. have no part in the gospel message
4. renders Jesus sacrifice meaningless

In other words, if your religious commitments, obedience, ceremonies or practices could remove your debt of sin, the Jesus died needlessly.

Here are a few reasons Jesus wants His born-again children (by faith) to have good works...
1. Sin is destructive to us and others, why would He want to see us destroy ourselves.
2. He will reward faithfulness in the next life. "store up your treasure where it will not be destroyed"
3. Our good deeds and love towards others is a tool to be used, to adorn the gospel message. If we are selfish, self righteous people, who will listen to our message?
4. God is generous and when we are generous we reflect our Father.

Note: Whatever a person adds to faith alone to the finished work of Christ alone in their gospel presentation will expose their idol and make the statement, "your sacrifice was not sufficient"
AGC
AG
Mea culpa everyone, to quote the oft banned but ever present…
Catag94
AG
Thank you. I was asking for the command to be baptized in water. I don't clearly see that.
I know that that John the Baptizer, who initiated the water baptism, signifying a cleansing, said, referring to Jesus: "….He will baptize you with the Holt Spirit".
Jesus, in his conversation with Nicodemus, was explaining being born in the Spirit. He seems to make it clear that without being born in the Spirit (as do other scriptures) one won't enter the kingdom of heaven.

But, I agree He commanded the disciples (the Church) to baptize people in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. And we do that as John the Baptist did. But, I also believe that those who truly confess with their mouths that Jesus is the Son of God, AND Believe in their hearts that he was raised from the dead by God, that God will baptize them with the Holy Spirit (completing what Jesus taught).

As for the quotes from James 2, anyone who "claims faith" but has no works, it's because their faith is dead or not real. This goes back to my original post above.

I think you and I agree more than it seems, I just think baptism is more than just the water.
TxAgPreacher
S
Catag94 said:

Thank you. I was asking for the command to be baptized in water. I don't clearly see that.
I just think baptism is more than just the water.

Quote:

"unless one is born of water"
I agree it's more than water, but it's very very clear.
94chem
Catag94 said:

I'm gonna go with Jesus as my final answer.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
TXaggiesTX
AG
"Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas, and brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house."
Acts 16:29-31 KJV
https://bible.com/bible/1/act.16.30-31.KJV
DirtDiver
"born of water"

2 Interpretive options.

1. Born of water means baptism in water.
2. Born of water means a physical birth from a woman. (the water breaks and a baby comes out)

Which option is best supported by the context of the passage?

4 Nicodemus *said to Him, "How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born, can he?" 5 Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

• Nicodemus is hearing the statement as a physical birth.
  • Jesus speaks of 2 births: water and Spirit
  • Jesus explains the 2 births in v6: born of flesh AND born of Spirit.
dermdoc
AG
DirtDiver said:

"born of water"

2 Interpretive options.

1. Born of water means baptism in water.
2. Born of water means a physical birth from a woman. (the water breaks and a baby comes out)

Which option is best supported by the context of the passage?

4 Nicodemus *said to Him, "How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born, can he?" 5 Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

• Nicodemus is hearing the statement as a physical birth.
  • Jesus speaks of 2 births: water and Spirit
  • Jesus explains the 2 births in v6: born of flesh AND born of Spirit.

Thanks for that as it makes sense.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.