*** Official Trump Hush Money Trial Thread ***

128,156 Views | 2107 Replies | Last: 8 min ago by NCNJ1217
BMX Bandit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Don't stop posting. I don't agree with your conclusions of law on lots of this, but I find your explaining facts of the case and legal issues before the court to be presented in an honest manner seeking a discussion.

[No need to insult other users in your commentary.-Staff] I've said numerous times this is a complete political hit job that never would have been brought against any other person. The facts alleged to make this a felony are as thin as pyhllo
WHOOP!'91
AG
Tramp96 said:

TXAggie2011 said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

TXAggie2011 said:

And I think the conspiracy explanation above is pretty good. Lots of people get dinged for conspiracy to commit a crime even though they're not charged with that crime for some reason.
Is that like the get away driver even though he was never inside pulling the trigger or robbing the store?
In that universe, yes. I'm sure folks have her words like aid, abet, accessory, perjury, obstruction, tampering, etc.

We have a whole universe of crimes that relate to the "cover up."
To add to this, let's take Trump or the specific facts of this case out of the equation for a minute.

I own a business, and I donate $1 million bucks to a campaign, even though I know that's well above legal campaign limits. I do this, knowing I am breaking federal election law. My accountant hears about this, so he goes in makes up $1 million in business losses to explain where that $1 million went and hide that I broke campaign finance laws.

He's falsified business records to conceal my violation of law. If that case came down the pipe, this board wouldn't bat an eye if my accountant got dinged for a felony, I bet.

I think most would agree its a perfectly understandable and valid law if they take the emotion and politics out of it for a minute.

Whether the state can prove Trump himself intended to conceal something, that's another issue I've said I have questions about. But again, meeting the burden of proof is a whole different animal than the underlying legal elements of the crime.
Really bad analogy because this isn't remotely close to what happened.

Paying her to keep quiet with non-campaign funds isn't violating any campaign laws or any other laws for that matter. As Alan Derschowitz said...hush payments aren't against the law.

It got labeled legal fees. That's what they were. Now if it was labeled "campaign fee", then I think you would have a legitimate case, especially if it was paid using campaign dollars. But it wasn't.

And my understanding is that there isn't a limit to what you can donate to your own campaign, so there is no concept of above legal campaign limits concept here.
agAngeldad
aggiehawg said:

PSA. I'll be late tomorrow. Can't be helped. Medical issues.

CNN/politics/Donald Trump/ live feed if someone wants to cover that. TIA.

Sorry.

Hope everything turns out ok. Look forward to your comments/post!
WHOOP!'91
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Quote:

I don't know if the law says it has to be your crime you're covering up. You could be falsifying records to cover up a crime of a buddy of yours.
It can be your crime, it can be someone else's crime.

You just have to have the intent to commit, aid, or conceal a crime, whoever's crime it is.

Weak sauce. If this wasn't Trump, "no reasonable prosecutor would bring this case", to quote a former FBI director.
justcallmeharry
S
aggiehawg said:

PSA. I'll be late tomorrow. Can't be helped. Medical issues.

CNN/politics/Donald Trump/ live feed if someone wants to cover that. TIA.

Sorry.
Hope all works out well.

Here is the CNN link:

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-hush-money-trial-05-09-24/index.html?tab=all
If you think I am a liberal, you are incorrect. Assume sarcasm on my part. Sorry if something I post has already been posted.
WHOOP!'91
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

I'm optimistic that the entire jury sees right through this nonsense -- ESPECIALLY the two attorneys on the case -- but the recent sociopolitical stupidity I've witnessed and the fact that this is in Manhattan leaves me skeptical.
Yeah but the two attorneys can always be cowed by other jury members sayng a hung jury will threaten their families. One way or another.

Me? Were I on that jury? Come at me bro. You might kill me but I have no children and The Hubs has..ahem...fortifications..
And then there are lawyers who will break the law to "get Trump", even change FISA testimony, because they know if even they get caught, nothing will happen to them.
WHOOP!'91
AG
BMX Bandit said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Bryanisbest said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Bryanisbest said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Bradley Smith is allowed to testify. The Court said he wouldn't be allowed to testify on matters of law to the jury (same thing happened in federal court) and that he lacked personal knowledge about the facts of this case so he would need to be limited to testifying about only certain things.
Which leads me to this question. Who is going to testify as to facts that would consitute a violation of federal election law? Cohen? A. he's disbarred. B. he cannot draw a legal conclusion. C. he was Trump's legal advisor at the time.

So Cohen will get on the stand and say Trump did these things pursuant to his own counsel? LOL.
Hawg, how is an alleged federal charge tried in a state court which has no federal jurisdiction? I've never seen that.
There is no federal charge.
A violation of "federal election law" is not a federal charge?
Trump's not charged with violating a federal law, no.

The limits of using predicate federal crimes has been well litigated over the years as to this particular law and others.

I don't even think Trump's team has argued New York simply cannot use federal law as a predicate crime simply because it is federal. They tried to get the federal crime thrown aside for much nerdier and complex reasons.

it's always great when f16 tells us how something is illegal or unconstitutional when the Trump lawyers aren't even making the claims in court.

I think lay people can't believe a jury can just assume you were trying to commit a crime when you've never been charged with that crime, much less found guilty of it.

That is some banana republic BS.

I guess Trump's lawyers should go through theoretical defenses of the theoretical crimes the prosecutor listed out.

All I can do as a lay person is shake my head at the obvious political persecution and double-standard "justice" system. Oh, and at how unashamed leftist are that they are the fascists they claim Trump would be.
NCNJ1217
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

No, but I was curious how many times and hours he'd spend asking the same question.
Ignore listed

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.