Sky high superintendent salaries

9,485 Views | 137 Replies | Last: 23 days ago by aggie93
aggie93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BillYeoman said:

Principals in some HIsD schools don't get paid enough for what they have to deal with on a daily basis.

They wear 2 hats: Educator and Prison Warden
I'd say the teachers who deal with the students have a lot tougher job than the guy setting the policy in his office that probably isn't at a school.
Logos Stick
I hate public school and teacher threads.

This thing will be 20 pages long with so called conservatives falling over themselves to justify this.
Martin Cash
AG
It would be interesting to see how many corporations with a Billion dollar budget pay their CEOs less than $500 grand.
Slicer97
AG
geoag58 said:

Slicer97 said:

geoag58 said:

One of our most intelligent presidents was self taught, to a large extent, by reading next to his fireplace at night and worked as a rail splitter during the day. Something tells me we are doing it wrong. Until we quit listening to do-gooder leftist scum I don't think much will change.
Same dude is also responsible for sending us down the path we're on.

Are you saying we would have been better off if Abe had gone to a government school?
No, I'm saying he ain't the champion he's been made out to be.
valvemonkey91
AG
I live in Barber Hill independent school district. We are very happy with the way Dr. Poole runs things. Barbers Hill excels in every measurable category they use to evaluate public schools. About four or five years ago, we had six national merit scholarship finalists in the same class. We have been UIL champs for 27yrs in a row. We are very competitive in Athletics and the arts (band and stage). We have Christmas concerts where our choir sings Christian songs; Mary did you Know, Go tell it on the mountain, etc. it is also open to alumni (as far back as 1977 most recently) to come and participate in thr show including former choir teachers and directors.

Yes, we are in the shadows of petrochemicals but our wealth comes from the tax abatements granted to the multi million dollar industrial warehouses in the district. Through 313 agreements, Poole and his team have amassed over $130MM in the BH Education Foundation and I dare say we are the only school in Texas that has money in the bank. We pay first year teachers around $70K.
Dr. Poole has a PhD from Texas A&M in mathematics and was raised by two public school teachers The only gripe that some people have about Dr. Poole in our district is his steadfast defiance against the encroachment of left-wing social issues. Most of these people that are upset are people that have moved into the district from a more liberal area and do not like our Christian conservative ways. . He Is publicly against the social causes such as th recent bathroom stuff , and relaxed dress codes of long hair and makeup on boys . It seems to be working and he has the overwhelming support of the community.
techno-ag
AG
Well good. More power to him.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Gap
AG
cslifer said:

So you want someone to take responsibility as the head of an organization with over 1000 employees, thousands of students and the current political atmosphere for 100-200k?
It depends if the superintendent is showing a bit of brave leadership or is finding the easiest path in managing their career.
valvemonkey91
AG
techno-ag said:

ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

The numbers for mega-districts with massive enrollment aren't as problematic. But what about the districts on that list with under 10,000 kids???
They rich I guess. I wonder if they pay their supt. more they don't have to Robin Hood that back to the state?

50% of all taxes collected from residential taxpayers in BHISD goes the the state for Robin-hood or recapture. .
schmellba99
AG
Owlagdad said:

How much would a CEO of a company with 1000-6000 employees make?
Probably about the same.

Now let's compare other metrics - such as the fact that a company has to be profitable and that the CEO can be show the door quickly in the event the company isn't run correctly, etc.

I don' thave an issue with superintendents making good money, but they are public servants and shouldn't become millionaires on public servant salaries either.
Owlagdad
valvemonkey91 said:

I live in Barber Hill independent school district. We are very happy with the way Dr. Poole runs things. Barbers Hill excels in every measurable category they use to evaluate public schools. About four or five years ago, we had six national merit scholarship finalists in the same class. We have been UIL champs for 27yrs in a row. We are very competitive in Athletics and the arts (band and stage).

Yes, we are in the shadows of petrochemicals but our wealth comes from the tax abatements granted to the multi million dollar industrial warehouses in the district. Through 313 agreements, Poole and his team have amassed over $130MM in the BH Education Foundation and I dare say we are the only school in Texas that has money in the bank. We pay first year teachers around $70K.
Dr. Poole has a PhD from Texas A&M in mathematics and was raised by two public school teachers The only gripe that some people have about Dr. Poole in our district is his steadfast defiance against the encroachment of left-wing social issues. Most of these people that are upset are people that have moved into the district from a more liberal area and do not like the conservative ways. He Is publicly against the social causes such as th recent bathroom stuff , and relaxed dress codes of long hair and makeup on boys . It seems to be working and he has the overwhelming support of the community.
Kudos to him for holding the line. Idiots who move to an area and want the majority to change for them, ought to pound sand-- its on you for not researching the area.

LOL, Liberals in the 70s and 80s wanted their boys to have long hair and be able to wear anything they wanted to school and whined and the majority gave in.

Then in late 90s, early 2000s, libs said kids were looked down upon if their kids didnt wear expensive clothes and shoes. So libs went to school board to get uniforms for all!!

Moral of study is that libs effed up public schools.
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
cslifer said:

So you want someone to take responsibility as the head of an organization with over 1000 employees, thousands of students and the current political atmosphere for 100-200k?

I think many people would for much yes. Yes.
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
Owlagdad said:

Is this company failing out loud and only focused on brainwashing its employees?
suburban cowboy
AG
Greg Poole should be Governor of Texas
valvemonkey91
AG
suburban cowboy said:

Greg Poole should be Governor of Texas

Several years ago, Kingwood College reached out to our district in search of a partnership. They basically wanted to build a campus in our district and let Dr. Poole run it as Barber Hill junior college. He was going to partner with several of the Petrochemical companies in the area to create a trade school to supply craftsmen like millwrights, welders, Pipefitters, boilermakers, HVAC, carpenters and auto mechanics where kids would have an associates degree and TWIC cards and certificates the day they graduated high school. Lee college in Baytown hired a lobbying firm that went to Austin and got it killed in the legislature because they knew Poole would've put them out of business As few as three or four years ago, I heard through the grapevine that Lee College had to take out a loan to make payroll. That's how poorly it was run
CrackerJackAg
AG
I guess it depends what kind of person you want running your schools.

I wouldn't quit my job as that and that guy is probably smarter than me. Certainly far more qualified for what he does.

Then he has to put up students parents and teachers all day.

No way for that salary
No Spin Ag
Aggie95 said:

Quote:

Wowzers. I guess the real money in education is at the top.
Always been that way. Salaries for principals is pretty high as well. I can somewhat understand that as they are on the front lines and handling issues on school grounds. I'm sorry, but Superintendents are glorified spokespeople and have very little impact on day to day function and success of a school system. Those salaries should probably be closer to the $150k-$200k for the top end.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
curry97
AG
Barbers Hill has never had a problem throwing money around. "We Can, We Will"
Logos Stick
CrackerJackAg said:

I guess it depends what kind of person you want running your schools.

I wouldn't quit my job as that and that guy is probably smarter than me. Certainly far more qualified for what he does.

Then he has to put up students parents and teachers all day.

No way for that salary

Sups don't deal with students or teachers or parents. That's the job of teachers and principals.
Ellis Wyatt
Owlagdad said:

Can they be fired? Do they have sales metrics?
Eso si, Que es
Conroe ISD has over 10,000 employees, 70,000 students, 70 campuses and a budget of $961M

Over the last 5 years the tax rate has dropped from 1.25% to 0.96%

I am no fan of public school systems but I respect the hell out of teachers and educators that do it right. No way in hell I would do that job and I'd say that super has earned his $350k salary. Conroe ISD was just named to their most desirable large employer list at #37 in the nation and #1 educational institute.

Like any industry, there are good ones and bad ones, but the leader of an organization of that size making $350k or about $1 per household in the district is not something I'd argue against if they were doing a good job.
WestHoustonAg79
Logos Stick said:

I hate public school and teacher threads.

This thing will be 20 pages long with so called conservatives falling over themselves to justify this.

And then you'll jerk off while discussing the benefits of home schooling and why everyone is foolish for not hopping on board.

It is tiresome on both sides.

Then throw in attempting to get a tax brake for doing so. And there you are.

Could be done in one page!
MouthBQ98
AG
This is part of how leftism funds itself off the public dollar, from taxpayers across the entire political spectrum.
Heineken-Ashi
Eso si, Que es said:

Conroe ISD has over 10,000 employees, 70,000 students, 70 campuses and a budget of $961M

I am no fan of public school systems but I respect the hell out of teachers and educators that do it right. No way in hell I would do that job and I'd say that super has earned his $350k salary. Conroe ISD was just named to their most desirable large employer list at #37 in the nation and #1 educational institute.

Like any industry, there are good ones and bad ones, but the leader of an organization of that size making $350k or about $1 per household in the district is not something I'd argue against if they were doing a good job.

The tax rate dropped while the taxable base rose. They still got their same piece of the taxpayer pie that they always have. So whatever argument you are trying to make, make sure and include the part where taxpayers are increasingly paying their ever increasing salaries while taxpayer salaries are stagnating and kids aren't performing any better.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
Hill Country Ag
AG
If pay for results, no problem. Where do results factor in?
Gig 'Em
milner79
W said:

no one should be making more money than the H.I.S.D. superintendent

that guy has his hands full and then some

My understanding is Houston ISD had so many problems that T.E.A. took over the district last year? How is that superintendent's salary justified? (Serious question. I don't know how that works.)
TRADUCTOR
That is not only their salary, it's their yearly retirement cost. Big ol'tit.
jopatura
AG
milner79 said:

W said:

no one should be making more money than the H.I.S.D. superintendent

that guy has his hands full and then some

My understanding is Houston ISD had so many problems that T.E.A. took over the district last year? How is that superintendent's salary justified? (Serious question. I don't know how that works.)

That's the TEA guy who took over. I'm not sure if he's actually paid by HISD or if it's still a TEA paycheck. I assume whatever screws the kids over more
Hey...so.. um
Heineken-Ashi said:

Eso si, Que es said:

The tax rate dropped while the taxable base rose. They still got their same piece of the taxpayer pie that they always have. So whatever argument you are trying to make, make sure and include the part where taxpayers are increasingly paying their ever increasing salaries while taxpayer salaries are stagnating and kids aren't performing any better.

True, but the size of the district has grown too so more students, more schools and the tax rate has still dropped. Dr. Null at Conroe ISD is pretty much loved by students, parents and teachers. Say he only made 200k. That is only another 4ish teachers and Null probably goes away. He's worth 4 teachers in my opinion.
Keller6Ag91
AG

The numbers for mega-districts with massive enrollment aren't as problematic. But what about the districts on that list with under 10,000 kids???
There's only 1. 3 under 15K kids.
Gig'Em and God Bless,

JB'91
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
JB99 said:

Aggie95 said:

techno-ag said:

They rich I guess. I wonder if they pay their supt. more they don't have to Robin Hood that back to the state?
Barbers Hill would be a lot of Petrochem money, right?

It's basically Baytown. I never thought of it as affluent
As far as a tax base goes, they are affluent. The people living there might not be but the tax base is.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Tom Kazansky 2012 said:

Owlagdad said:

Is this company failing out loud and only focused on brainwashing its employees?
Stop falling for the caricatures.

Are all investment firms about fleecing their investors since they're a ponzi scheme like Madoff?
B-1 83
AG
Tom Kazansky 2012 said:

Owlagdad said:

I love how this theme has appeared many times as some sort of "gotcha"….. Do superintendents get to choose the "inputs" and "raw materials" for their end products? No. They have to take the crap that is handed to them and follow rules for handling that crap handed to them from a state agency filled with "experts" with limited "manufacturing" experience.

Now let's do football coaches and ADs….
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Bearpitbull
cslifer said:

Agree. Classic example of a double standard and the death of true conservatism. Show me another organization with that many employees that gets paid less. I suspect market forces demand it to get a non moron. People want to ***** about the weirdest things.

Mas89
AG
Martin Cash said:

It would be interesting to see how many corporations with a Billion dollar budget pay their CEOs less than $500 grand.
This. Have a good Aggie friend who was a superintendent at a large 5A school and is now retired. In addition to running the schools, principals etc., he also handled building contracts, construction, etc.
Any problem in the district was his problem to solve. He definitely earned his salary every year. Endless meetings and phone calls. Even on the weekends and holidays.
Owlagdad
Mas89 said:

Martin Cash said:

This. Have a good Aggie friend who was a superintendent at a large 5A school and is now retired. In addition to running the schools, principals etc., he also handled building contracts, construction, etc.
Any problem in the district was his problem to solve. He definitely earned his salary every year. Endless meetings and phone calls. Even on the weekends and holidays.
When little Johnny is put in time out for "no reason", that parent calls school board member from her church. School board member calls Supt and tells him to fix it. Superintendent asks if that parent has spoken to the teacher. 9.9 times people who make those calls have not. Now everyone is pissed at something that should have been taken care of at lower level.
I've always said Superintendents are 50% politician, 40% money guy and 10% academic leader. That is why you have bloat of Asst superintendents doing the academic planning.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.