Liberal bias study

1,856 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by APHIS AG
Red Dane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Interesting article from Psypost.org about evaluating how US liberals and conservatives evaluate others based on a person's Facebook posts if they are filled with political content (memes). No surprise that people judged people with their own bias in a more positive light, but when they evaluated people with opposing views, liberals had 3 times the bias against the person.

https://www.psypost.org/liberals-three-times-more-biased-than-conservatives-when-evaluating-ideologically-opposite-individuals-study-finds/

"I was very surprised that the level of liberal bias against conservatives was nearly three times greater than was conservative bias toward liberals," Ridge said. "This is directly the opposite of what ideological asymmetry would predict. I was also surprised that given this result, liberal participants claimed that conservatives were much more prejudiced than liberals, whereas conservatives did not attribute any more prejudice to liberals than to conservatives. This is contrary to much popular opinion about liberals and conservatives in popular media and in the empirical literature." - Robert D. Ridge (BYU).

The article discussed this in regards to hiring, so tighten up your access if you are a conservative looking for work. However, I wonder about how this severe bias disparity would extend to court. Could a known conservative ever get a fair trial with a liberal on the jury?
NU '95 Texas A&M '97
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

"I was very surprised that the level of liberal bias against conservatives was nearly three times greater than was conservative bias toward liberals........liberal participants claimed that conservatives were much more prejudiced than liberals, whereas conservatives did not attribute any more prejudice to liberals than to conservatives.

kag00
AG
None of this should be a surprise so long as you are awake and are open to information that does not reinforce your own ideals. Unfortunately this study confirms that those who need to see it don't have that openness.
American Hardwood
AG
Good thing they didn't survey f16. It would have been 10 times the other way around. I hate liberals, and I think I speak for most on this board.
Slicer97
AG
Stands to reason. Conservatives don't really give a damn about what the left does until it interferes with their own lives. And they're not lock-step on issues. The main philosophy is conservatives is "go live your life and don't interfere with mine and I'll extend you the same courtesy" (unless you're trying to subvert/corrupt/harm children, in which case, we've got problems).

The left has confused political philosophy with religion, and it's very attractive to people who haven't had to struggle much in life and aren't very smart.
Maroon Dawn
AG
Been said many times here and it's true:

Conservatives see the average Joe liberal as a misguided person who wants to do good but mistakenly thinks More Government Power is the way to accomplish it

Liberals see the average Joe Conservative as an inhuman monster in full Nazi SS uniform and so there are zero rules they aren't allowed break and no extremes too far to remove this threat from society
RDV-1992

Quote:

The article discussed this in regards to hiring, so tighten up your access if you are a conservative looking for work. However, I wonder about how this severe bias disparity would extend to court. Could a known conservative ever get a fair trial with a liberal on the jury?

I think everyone here should do this. I still have a Facebook account, but only because I was using it for remote church during Covid and haven't bothered to turn it back off again.

Get rid of social media. And keep your fingers crossed that Texags doesn't give out actual names behind the screen names here. lol.
MouthBQ98
AG
There is a series of studies and analysis by Jonathan Haight and he has put them in a couple of books with work of some of his academic peers and they seem to support this general conclusion. The conservatives have a broader and less focused system of values, whereas the leftists have a narrower set of primary values that they heavily prioritize and while the conservatives can emphasize with the leftists, the leftist types can't comprehend the broader and more even weighting of values on the right and see some values as incomprehensible, so they assume an uncaring malice is involved.
PCC_80
AG
Liberals have been socially programmed to hate conservatives. They will deny that they are programmed and are intolerant of conservatives but they just can not see their own hypocrisy.
Sid Farkas
AG
The Left, with it's stranglehold on academia, news media, entertainment, and the political establishment has given itself permission to think anyone who disagrees with them is dangerous; and needs to be eliminated at the hand of it's corrupt government bureaucracy.
jimmo
Sid Farkas said:

The Left, with it's stranglehold on academia, news media, entertainment, and the political establishment has given itself permission to think anyone who disagrees with them is dangerous; and needs to be eliminated at the hand of it's corrupt government bureaucracy.
this
It's been deemed ok to bash conservative opinions, positions, etc..
if going the opposite way, you're apt to be censored, banned, or worse.
I suspect many conservatives just don't bother with it
BonfireNerd04
My conjecture (similar to Maroon Dawn's):

The typical conservative believes that the typical liberal has been brainwashed by the academic and media establishment. It's not that liberals are innately evil; it's just that their opinions are based on wrong information or misguided trust in government. If they simply KNEW how much harm leftist policies cause, they might stop being leftists.

OTOH, the typical liberal believes that the typical conservative is an irrational person who hates women, Black people, immigrants, Muslims, and LGBTQ+ people for no reason.
Urban Ag
AG
Maroon Dawn said:

Been said many times here and it's true:

Conservatives see the average Joe liberal as a misguided person who wants to do good but mistakenly thinks More Government Power is the way to accomplish it

Liberals see the average Joe Conservative as an inhuman monster in full Nazi SS uniform and so there are zero rules they aren't allowed break and no extremes too far to remove this threat from society
Well, to be fair, the Nazis had great uniforms

Urban Ag
AG
PCC_80 said:

Liberals have been socially programmed to hate conservatives. They will deny that they are programmed and are intolerant of conservatives but they just can not see their own hypocrisy.
I've come to enjoy their hate.

Let it flow libs.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
liberals are the most narcissistic and hypocritical group of people on this planet. that is a cocktail for disaster. it can be extrapolated a bunch of different ways ibut ultimately these two traits define 99% of them.
lj801
Urban Ag said:

I've come to enjoy their hate.

Let it flow libs.

The problem is lib hate motivates more of them to vote for their party's incumbent (that has a shot) no matter what. Whereas more conservatives seem willing to shoot themselves in the foot.
TexAgs91
AG
Liberal? I thought they were communist now
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
bmks270
AG
It's just liberal projection of their own traits onto others.
annie88
AG
Well that's not surprising since most liberals are complete narcissistic. The world literally revolves around them. They don't care about what other people have to say. They don't care what is right or wrong. They can't have a civil discussion on anyone with a different opinion and they believe everything that the leftist media tells them. They just parrot things they are told or read about.
annie88
AG
TexAgs91 said:

Liberal? I thought they were communist now
Same thing.
APHIS AG
American Hardwood said:

Good thing they didn't survey f16. It would have been 10 times the other way around. I hate liberals, and I think I speak for most on this board.
a "bias" is a perceived dislike. However, liberals have earned the hate that they get by their actions, thoughts, and deeds.. There is no "presumption".
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.