Boy Scouts of America is changing their name

11,397 Views | 144 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by AgsWin2011
PhatMack19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
gabehcoud
i cant imagine caring about this
Slicer97
AG
Yet another reason to put your sons in Trail Life USA rather than BSA.
Burdizzo
AG
I thought this was old news. Last I remember hearing was "Scouting USA", and that was a couple of years ago right after they changed to "BSA" from "Boy Scouts of America" when they left girls in.

I thought the progression was going to be

Boy Scouts of America => BSA => Scouting USA

We got out because my son wasn't interested. But adding that ridiculous "Citizenship in Society" merit badge was enough to run a lot of other folks off too.
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
- Alfred E. Neuman
Ag87H2O
AG
Another traditional, uniquely American institution ruined by the left.
Flower Child
Surprised it took this long. I'm all for keeping legacy names that don't 100% adequately reflect the current state of the organization, but when you're allowing all genders, still calling it "Boy" Scouts is misleading.
AggieRain
Thunderstruck xx
Flower Child said:

Surprised it took this long. I'm all for keeping legacy names that don't 100% adequately reflect the current state of the organization, but when you're allowing all genders, still calling it "Boy" Scouts is misleading.

It should only be for boys. That's why we had Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts organizations. There are only two genders. Boys have a ***** and girls have a vagina. Should I explain further for the ignorant and brainwashed?
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Burdizzo said:

I thought this was old news. Last I remember hearing was "Scouting USA", and that was a couple of years ago right after they changed to "BSA" from "Boy Scouts of America" when they left girls in.

We got out because my son wasn't interested. But adding that ridiculous "Citizenship in Society" merit badge was enough to run a lot of other folks off too.

What was that all about? Was to required to eagle?
MouthBQ98
AG
Leftists gradually take over and destroy institutions from within if you let them.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Ag87H2O said:

Always appropriate:

El Gallo Blanco
johnnyblaze36 said:

Ag87H2O said:

Always appropriate:

Was going to post this but you just beatme. Dead on.
Ags2013
AG
As an Eagle scout, I can't imagine even considering supporting this organization now.
chase128
AG
My daughter joined Scouts this year and it's been a great experience. Our local scout group is really nice. No politics or anything. Our neighbor's boy is in it and he's good friends with my daughter. There's several other girls in the pack as well.

We've picked up trash around the local school, gone on hikes and camp-outs, done food drives and the pine car derby. My kid loves it. I guess a lot of it depends on the group of people you're with in your scout troop, and maybe we just got lucky.
Burdizzo
AG
PlaneCrashGuy said:

Burdizzo said:

What was that all about? Was to required to eagle?

Yes, it is now required for Eagle. It was basically a "the benefits of DEI" merit badge. It started in 2021, and became a requirement at some point in 2022. When they announced it would be a requirement after a certain date there was a big rush in our Troop for older boys to hurry and finish their Eagles so they wouldn't have to do it. Yet another reason I don't feel bad about leaving.
Teslag
AG
Why didn't she join the girl scouts?
DrEvazanPhD
Thunderstruck xx said:

Flower Child said:

It should only be for boys. That's why we had Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts organizations. There are only two genders. Boys have a ***** and girls have a vagina. Should I explain further for the ignorant and brainwashed?
Yep. Rather than make girl scouts better, they decided to make Boy Scouts worse
Teslag
AG
Doubling down on the same **** that led to your membership issues seems smart.
rwtxag83
AG
I haven't supported them for a long time.

I earned my Eagle at 15 when Boy Scouts had undergone a historic transition from the 'Old way' to the 'New Way', so I had to do both to earn it, and that's in addition to the specific requirements my Troop had.

We had the world's first totally blind Eagle Scout ( Now an Electrical Engineer, and he had to fulfill every requirement the rest of us did), another Eagle who became Sr Vice President of Sales and Marketing for Proctor and Gamble, and a bunch of guys who became community and industry leaders. There were no shortcuts, and you were expected to excel.

These people in charge of scouting took something that was wonderful, and built good citizens and leaders of high moral charachter, and co-opted it into something that in my view is kind of a joke. It's just sad.
Greater love hath no man than this....
Burdizzo
AG
chase128 said:

My daughter joined Scouts this year and it's been a great experience. Our local scout group is really nice. No politics or anything. Our neighbor's boy is in it and he's good friends with my daughter. There's several other girls in the pack as well.

We've picked up trash around the local school, gone on hikes and camp-outs, done food drives and the pine car derby. My kid loves it. I guess a lot of it depends on the group of people you're with in your scout troop, and maybe we just got lucky.

As with many things, you get out what you put in, and it is highly variable by Troop and charter org.

Our committee chair was adamant that our Troop would remain boys only. Then his son got Eagle, and they both left. Shortly thereafter they let girls in. Unrelated to that another mom started running roughshod over some of the committee. The Scoutmaster even quit in frustration.
Membership went from about 30 boys to about 10 in a year's time.
chase128
AG
Teslag said:

Our neighbor's boy, who goes to school with her and they are good friends, kept talking to her about it and she wanted to join because of him. Our neighbor is in charge of our Den and he's a nice guy. In the past year several more kids/friends from their grade at school have joined our pack (one of them is a girl).

EDIT: Sorry I get Pack and Den mixed up. Den is the small group for my kid's age group.
HumbleAg04
AG
I'm just looking to get a Philmont trek in with both boys.
Burdizzo
AG
Teslag said:

Girls Scouts as an org is even more lame than BSA. That was why BSA started letting girls in - to meet that demand.
BMX Bandit
This new name is not nearly Trans-friendly enough.
MooreTrucker
AG
I am an Eagle Scout, as is my son. My daughter was a Girl Scout, and my wife was the troop leader. They tried very hard to make GS as much fun as BSA, but ran into rules and regulations all over the place that prevented the girls from doing many activities. So much for equal treatment of women.
rwtxag83
AG
Quote:

Our committee chair was adamant that our Troop would remain boys only. Then his son got Eagle, and they both left. Shortly thereafter they let girls in. Unrelated to that another mom started running roughshod over some of the committee. The Scoutmaster even quit in frustration.

Perfect example of what I'm talking about. There should be clearly defined limits, and things tend to fall into place when you do. Not perfect, but workable. Change what you will allow and the dyanmic also changes, and many times it falls apart.
Greater love hath no man than this....
Teslag
AG
Burdizzo said:

Teslag said:

Girls Scouts as an org is even more lame than BSA. That was why BSA started letting girls in - to meet that demand.

Catering to demand is exactly what Boy Scouts didn't do. Which is why they are in the state they are.
chase128
AG
rwtxag83 said:

Quote:

Perfect example of what I'm talking about. There should be clearly defined limits, and things tend to fall into place when you do. Not perfect, but workable. Change what you will allow and the dyanmic also changes, and many times it falls apart.
I guess we're lucky, our Pack seems to get along really well. We have several women, and men, in leadership roles and the events are well organized and thought out.
Teslag
AG
chase128 said:

rwtxag83 said:

Quote:

I guess we're lucky, our Pack seems to get along really well. We have several women, and men, in leadership roles and the events are well organized and thought out.

But it is not, and never will be, The Boy Scouts. It's a run of the mill social club and I'm glad your daughter enjoys it.
BQRyno
AG
Teslag said:

chase128 said:

rwtxag83 said:

Quote:

But it is not, and never will be, The Boy Scouts. It's a run of the mill social club and I'm glad your daughter enjoys it.

The left builds nothing. It only knows how to destroy what others have built. This was inevitable. As the former scout dad of a 6 year old boy, I'm extremely disappointed in the destruction of boy scouts in such a short time.
techno-ag
AG
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
HollywoodBQ
AG
Slicer97 said:

Yet another reason to put your sons in Trail Life USA rather than BSA.
Thanks for that.
I had never heard of Trail Life before but I've watched the devolution of BSA via the FB feed of one of my friends.
I'm glad to know there are alternatives for boys and young men.
RustyBV
AG
We have a cub scout and a boy scout, and another 4 month old baby boy that will probably join one day as well. Them being in scouting is one of the best decisions we've made as parents, and also created priceless memories. It's all about your local troop, ours is boys only thru the local catholic church. For teaching young men leadership, it's hard to beat scouting regardless of what wokeness national is trying to pull off.
Moral High Horse
put our girls in AHG rather than GS

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.