In Loving Memory: Dr. Terry Lee Kohutek ’73

5,039 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by trip
TexasA&MFoundation
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
The Friends and Students of Dr. Terry Kohutek ’73 Endowed Scholarship was established in August to honor the legacy of the late Civil Engineering professor’s contribution to education at Texas A&M.

Read more about his impact at Texas A&M and learn how you can help contribute to the scholarship.

The Texas A&M Foundation is a nonprofit organization that receives major gifts and manages endowments for the benefit of Texas A&M University. The Foundation provided $65 million to Texas A&M for scholarships, faculty support, leadership programs and construction projects in 2011.

[This message has been edited by TexAgs staff (edited 10/11/2012 2:45p).]
mel07ag
AG
Dr. Kohutek was a great prof and advisor. It's good to hear this scholarship will be in his honor. He had a huge impact on the entire civil engineering department and is truly missed.
TXAggie2011
AG
I miss that guy. A check is in the mail.
aggie028
How terrible. I had no idea he had passed.

Terry was a bright spot in my abysmal first few years of engineering. He gave me more chances than I deserved. Once I locked in and started doing well I transferred into PETE. Terry congratulated me on my successes afterward and was happy that things worked out for me. I had a lot of respect for that man. He didn't avoid me when it would have been easiest to just kick me out. Rest in peace. A scholarship in his honor is the least we can do
CapCityAg09
RIP Dr. Kohutek, very genuine man and always willing to help. He will be missed
AggieSureShot
AG
Unbelievable, RIP Dr.Kohtek . He was a great prof. Even set me straight when I wasn't paying attention in class. Will be missed.
07&09Ag
Dr. Kohutek was definitely one of my favorite profs and also my advisor....he was a great man.

Glad to see his name will live on.
Noel88
AG
I just learned about Dr. K's passing. What a loss to A&M, the CVEN Department, his students, friends and family. The guy truly had a big heart of gold, as I'm sure anyone who had him in a class would attest.

I was a non-traditional student who was on the verge of quitting CVEN and moving to another degree because I couldn't get passed structural analysis (CVEN 345). I had Dr.K in a previous class and, even though he didn't advise me, he basically tutored me through the class and mentored me for the rest of my undergrad in CVEN. We stayed in touch through the years and I remember what a great e-mail he sent me when I let him know about passing my P.E. exam. When I was on campus, I always tried to stop by an say hi when he was around. He'd always welcome me in talk shop for an hour or two, as always, making time for his students, current and former. The last time I got to visit with him in 2010, he had recently become an assistant department head. We got a chance to share war stories about what it was like to be in charge.

I'll miss him a lot. RIP Terry.

~~~~~~
Gig'em s!

[This message has been edited by Noel88 (edited 1/8/2013 1:19a).]
92Ag95
AG
I know this is an 11 year old thread but I was talking to a friend today and Dr. Kohutek's name came up. I told my friend the story of a graduate class I had with Terry and this one student who was always giving him a hard time (in a fun manner). We come in for the final exam and everyone except this dude gets the normal final...but the "troublemaker" student gets a final with a single problem.....to design the shear reinforcement for a star shaped (cross-section) concrete beam in torsion. Holy sh.t we all laughed so hard. Terry made him sweat for a while before allowing him to take the final the rest of us were taking.
trip
AG
He was one of the few Profs that cared. Great man. He will be missed.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.