Rooney Rule

2,084 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by EliteElectric
Lake08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you're a minority coach and know the only reason you're getting an interview is because the team must satisfy the rule, why interview?
MookieBlaylock
AG
aint like they interviewing a random guy from the street- only 32 of these jobs in the world
Infection_Ag11
AG
Why not? What's the downside? It does nothing but help your career.

And this is ignoring the fact that nobody actually knows they are only being interviewed because they are a minority.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Tone2002
MookieBlaylock said:

aint like they interviewing a random guy from the street- only 32 of these jobs in the world

Right. Lol
agpetz
Mike Tomlin was not a favorite for the Steelers job and the Rooney rule got him an interview. He allegedly impressed them enough to get the job.
AustinAg2K
Even if they already have someone in mind, maybe you impress them and when then guy they hire fails they remember you.
Lake08
MookieBlaylock said:

How u get a "blue" post with four stars??? Maybe u a mod??
Unemployed
AG
What do you have to lose? Even if you might not end up getting hired, you still learn something from the interview process.

Also, you get your name out there as a possible candidate for other head coaching opportunities.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Lake08 said:

MookieBlaylock said:

Yes I am a mod - they give me one thread a year to moderate

BMX Bandit
Lake08 said:

MookieBlaylock said:

only takes 3. keep working. you will get there one day.
ac
Problem I have with the Rooney Rule is that sometimes a team will be so set on a certain candidate that interviewing others for the sake of the rule seems like a waste of time & resources. But that's just my opinion.
AustinAg2K
I'm not sure the Rooney Rule has done much to help improve diversity, but it does seem like the NFL is finally realizing they need fresh faces as head coaches. For most of the 2000s and 2010s, it seemed like the same coaches were just getting traded around between teams, regardless of how bad they were (Wade Phillips anyone?). It seems like that has been changing the past 5 years or so.
AustinAg2K
ac said:

Problem I have with the Rooney Rule is that sometimes a team will be so set on a certain candidate that interviewing others for the sake of the rule seems like a waste of time & resources. But that's just my opinion.

I think that's the point of the rule. If teams are dead set on someone, then it's going to be very hard for a minority to break in.
MookieBlaylock
AG
AustinAg2K said:

I'm not sure the Rooney Rule has done much to help improve diversity, but it does seem like the NFL is finally realizing they need fresh faces as head coaches. For most of the 2000s and 2010s, it seemed like the same coaches were just getting traded around between teams, regardless of how bad they were (Wade Phillips anyone?). It seems like that has been changing the past 5 years or so.

it should be called the Jeff Fischer rule- as Tomlin has turned into Jeff Fischer
kb2001
AG
agpetz said:

Mike Tomlin was not a favorite for the Steelers job and the Rooney rule got him an interview. He allegedly impressed them enough to get the job.
I always thought that as well. I was corrected by somebody on here that Tomlin was the second minority to interview with the Steelers, and he was a real consideration before the interview. The media spun it up as the Rooney rule working.

The biggest one that stands out in my mind was when Dennis Green declined an interview with either the Cowboys or Giants, saying he'd been coaching for too long to be the token candidate for any team.
Infection_Ag11
AG
kb2001 said:

agpetz said:

I always thought that as well. I was corrected by somebody on here that Tomlin was the second minority to interview with the Steelers, and he was a real consideration before the interview. The media spun it up as the Rooney rule working.

The biggest one that stands out in my mind was when Dennis Green declined an interview with either the Cowboys or Giants, saying he'd been coaching for too long to be the token candidate for any team.

The reality is that it's a rule that (probably) isn't necessary in the modern NFL. There was a time not so long ago that there was a widespread belief in NFL circles that black men lack the cognitive ability to be successful coaches and quarterbacks. This is well documented in open and closed door statements by coaches, GMs and owners as recently as the early 1990s. Hell it's well documented McNabb being black dropped him down some teams draft boards and that was what, 1998?

There was a time not all that long ago that there were definitely black coaches getting passed over because of a stigma against them. I don't think that's really the case anymore now after the success of guys like Tony Dungy, Dennis Green and Mike Tomlin.

But if the question is "would you take an interview just to be the token black guy", the answer is obviously yes. Maybe you exceed their exceptions and get the job. At worst you get interviewing experience and get to tell other GMs/owners you have other interested parties to increase your perceived value.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
W
AG
one big problem with the Rooney Rule...

where are the sunset provisions?

at what % of minority head coaches...will the rule no longer be needed...40%, 50%, 60%, etc..,

(this question is probably not supposed to be asked...whoops)
Iowaggie
AG
A couple of other benefits.

Given the head coach doesn't always select the coordinators, the interviews can lead to a coordinator position which often leads to a head coach position.

Given many owners do participate in some capacity for a head coach position, the head coach is now aware of the candidate, even if that guy is a coordinator at another team. The awareness of that owner and other owners is now greater due to the fact they got the interview.
Iowaggie
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

AustinAg2K said:

it should be called the Jeff Fischer rule- as Tomlin has turned into Jeff Fischer

If you knew the careers of Jeff Fisher, Mike Tomlin, and Bill Belichick, you would know that Belichick has turned into Fisher, if anyone has.

It certainly doesn't surprise me when certain posters want to diminish the career of Tomlin.

I write that as someone who would love to see no more playoffs for the Steelers, Ravens, or Patriots.
Bunk Moreland
At least the national media isn't bombarding us with Eric Bienemy shaming this cycle.
EliteElectric
at least they can do zoom now, in the past it had to be in person, I remember Hue Jackson making teams come to him to satisfy their RR. It would suck to be a minority candidate and have to travel all over hell and half of Snook knowing your just a token box to check.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.