Sons of the Forest

1,573 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by BadMoonRisin
zip04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Haven't seen any threads on this game. Anyone else playing it? If you like survival games, it is really well done.

TexAgs91
AG
Nice. Can you play in VR?
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
zip04
AG
According to Google, it does not currently support VR.
BadMoonRisin
AG
I picked up this game and it's predecessor "The Forest" during the steam sale and just beat The Forest yesterday. Very fun game solo and even funner in multi-player.

Moving on to this game now and looking forward to it.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Alright. I've put some time into this one now and here is my recommendation:

If you've never heard of The Forest or Sons of the Forest, do not play this game -- yet.

Please, play The Forest first. It was one of the best and most surprising indie games I've ever played and I didnt even pick it up until a few weeks ago. It officially came out in 2018 and is a brilliant game. I got it for $10 during the last spring break sale, so if you are on the fence, add it to your wishlist. Why The Forest first? It's a complete game.

Sons of the Forest is better than The Forest in every single way -- graphics, AI-behavior, mood, tone, everything...it even has the story there and I hear there are already several endings. So why wait? Because it's not actually done.

I was addicted to The Forest and beat it, and immediately moved into this one and while I am definitely enjoying it, there is so much more untapped potential for this game. It IS a finished game currently in that you can go from the beginning to the end, but there are a couple areas of weakness (base-building, crafting, story-tie ins with the first game, balance issues, etc) that will definitely be tweaked in the coming weeks/years and at this point I really dont want to play it anymore to spoil it because I feel like if I beat the game, I wont ever pick it back up again, even after the game is actually "finished".

So dont deprive yourself of the full experience. Play the predecessor first.

Unless your friends play this game, then get in there right away because this multiplayer is some of the funnest I've played in almost a decade. Building up a base, gathering resources, waiting for night, fending off cannibals. You dont even really have to progress in the game to get an hour or two of chuckles with your buds.
BadMoonRisin
AG
You cannot play in VR yet as its in Early Access. The Forest is VR capable and a more complete game at the moment.
zip04
AG
Multiplayer is a lot of fun.

I would like to see an expansion pack or some added content. There are some end game tweaks I would have preferred, but I don't want to spoil anything. Overall though, this is a very good game.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Did you beat it? I cant bring myself to do that and spoil the story.

It's in early access so they arent even close to being finished with the game from what I can tell.
zip04
AG
I was playing it with my kids. We beat it yesterday. I would gladly play it again, but on hard instead of normal.
BadMoonRisin
AG
This game exited Early Access back in February. I have started a new game since it's a finished product now. Very fun game
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.