Walmart Selling M1 MacBook Air for $699

3,949 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Astroag
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Really hard not to pick one up. 8gb ram and 256gb hard drive.

Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Saw MKBHD post this. That's an insane deal.
Sea Speed
AG
I'm still running my 2012 MacBook Pro and although I upgraded the RAM and hard drive, it is still getting on my nerves. So hard not to buy but I absolutely hate switching computers.
boy09
AG
Sea Speed said:

I'm still running my 2012 MacBook Pro and although I upgraded the RAM and hard drive, it is still getting on my nerves. So hard not to buy but I absolutely hate switching computers.
I don't know how it could be made any simpler than Apple's migration assistant.
Sea Speed
AG
I just dont like it. That's all there is to it. That's why I am still using a 6 year old phone and a 12 year old truck. These objects still work although not as good as on day 1. Why spend the money to get rid of something that works? Add on that things are never exactly the same when you make a switch and you have to get used to new and/or changed features and programs and I prefer to just stick it out with my current technology as absolutely long as possible.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Totally get it. I had an MBA from 2013 that I literally just replaced last week and that's just because the hardware and space started to really crap out on me. The M3 MBA got announced which meant the M2 MBA got a price reduction, so I picked one up with an .edu discount for ~$900, tax included. That's an easy purchase for something I plan to use for 10 years. I spent more than that on Chipotle in the last decade.
Sea Speed
AG
I just looked at the edu store and didn't see that deal otherwise I probably would have considered that. As it were, I will probbaly just get the m1. My wife talked me in to it because she is tired of me talking about how annoying my computer is. I will also have this computer for a decade as well.
Sea Speed
AG

texasaggie2015
AG
It's time that I get a new one and I was looking at refurbished ones on DiscountElectronics. I should probably jump on this one, no?
MGS
$650 at Costco
Sea Speed
AG
MGS said:

$650 at Costco

Out of stock
agdoc2001
AG
8 whole gb of ram?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
evan_aggie
AG
I've got 32GB of ram on my gaming pc and it runs like dogcrap until the game is actually booted and has started.

16GB on PC = 8 GB of Ram on MacOS. That's the reality.
Sea Speed
AG
And if it is anything like my MBP I can upgrade the ram anyways. I doubled the ram on my MBP and put in a 1tb ssd.
FatZilla
AG
evan_aggie said:

I've got 32GB of ram on my gaming pc and it runs like dogcrap until the game is actually booted and has started.

Thats a load of bull you read right off the apple marketing slide at their event. It wasn't even added in the right context from the person who actually said it from apple which was no doubt intentional. Its not even close to true and only served to pull the wool over the apple fanboy eyes to get them to buy these garbage 8gb systems. This was also only for the m3 chips, not the older m2 or m1, which this deal is for.

Original quote:
Quote:

Actually, 8GB on an M3 MacBook Pro is probably analogous to 16GB on other systems. We just happen to be able to use it much more efficiently. And so what I would say is I would have people come in and try what they want to do on their systems, and they will I think see incredible performance.

Its absolutely laughable that people are willing to pay that much money for sub-substandard components. 8gb ram is trash on any modern system above a $300 price point. That ram chip is literally a less than a Starbucks coffee at their market purchase point so adding a second 8gb onto the board costs almost nothing. Check the upgrade price for a 16gb from Base model. They want $200 for it. I just bought an entire windows laptop for just over $200 and it had 8gb of integrated ram in it.
FatZilla
AG
Sea Speed said:

And if it is anything like my MBP I can upgrade the ram anyways. I doubled the ram on my MBP and put in a 1tb ssd.
Its integrated and soldered. If you want it, you must buy it from factory. There is no upgrade path after purchase for a home user.
Sea Speed
AG
With how cheap memory is i always shake my head at how much apple charges for it, but I also haven't used a PC in the last 20 years that was anything but a hassle. I'm no apple fanboy though because the laptops are the only apple products I have and as I said my current one is 12 years old.

I cant imagine 8gb ram will be much of an issue running office and web browsers though. It will be very nice not to have a 10 lb laptop in my backpack for work.
FatZilla
AG
Sea Speed said:

With how cheap memory is i always shake my head at how much apple charges for it, but I also haven't used a PC in the last 20 years that was anything but a hassle. I'm no apple fanboy though because the laptops are the only apple products I have and as I said my current one is 12 years old.

I cant imagine 8gb ram will be much of an issue running office and web browsers though. It will be very nice not to have a 10 lb laptop in my backpack for work.

That workload, no, but that workload will be handled by a $200 ryzen based laptop as well. A $700 windows laptop would run circles around it specs wise.
Sea Speed
AG
I know that got sure and 100% understand it is completely nonsensical but I truly hate PCs. I have a surface pro for work and I hate it so much. Wife has one as well and hers is even worse. Had different PC laptops before I got my first MacBook and I always hated them. I get that it is completely irrational and I can get better specs with a PC, I just can't stand them.
evan_aggie
AG
FatZilla said:

Sea Speed said:

That workload, no, but that workload will be handled by a $200 ryzen based laptop as well. A $700 windows laptop would run circles around it specs wise.

Do you know why you can buy a $300 x86 laptop or a $450 one? Because Windows is total garbage. I was an avid pc fanboy while I worked for Intel. Then I tried a Mac... there is no going back. I game on x86 and the entire experience is such garbage in comparison. That's why Apple can sell a 13" computer with only 8GB of ram for $1000.

Some people are offended by the audacity of Apple. That's fine. You stick with your PC and do you.

BrazosDog02
AG
How do you "game" on these? We don't use them because my kids game but nothing runs on Apple. Even my business computer, which is a MacBook PRO, I had to run boot camp on. Lol.

Is that what people do? Just buy a fancy computer from Apple and then run windows?

Plus, this laptop is now 4 years old. Is this really a good deal?
aggieforester05
AG
evan_aggie said:

FatZilla said:

Sea Speed said:

Do you know why you can buy a $300 x86 laptop or a $450 one? Because Windows is total garbage. I was an avid pc fanboy while I worked for Intel. Then I tried a Mac... there is no going back. I game on x86 and the entire experience is such garbage in comparison. That's why Apple can sell a 13" computer with only 8GB of ram for $1000.

Some people are offended by the audacity of Apple. That's fine. You stick with your PC and do you.

I use a 2019 MBP for my primary computer, 2.9GHz six core Intel, 64gb Ram, and 4TB SSD, so a really high spec last year intel. (I use CAD software that doesn't work with M based processors.) I'm typing on it now and have no desire to go back to windows. Mainly because of the integration with my iphone, Ipad, and apple watch. imessage allowing me to text and read text messages on my computer and having my photos automatically upload is really nice. Using my Ipad as a third monitor when mobile and having my watch unlock my computer is nice as well.

That being said, finder sucks compared to windows explorer. The multi monitor support is absolute dog**** compared to windows. Your battery dying while the computer is sleeping was never a problem with my windows laptops, but every MBP I've had will die if you let it sleep too long unplugged. It's also a PITA having to use fusion on occasion to run windows only software, but that is to be expected.

OSx isn't bad, but there's definitely some things that could use improvement, but they never seem to fix those things.

Hardware support kind of sucks too. I had a 2006 Mac Pro, which was a really expensive high end computer and they quit supporting it in 2012. Over the next couple of years, apps stopped supporting that version of OSX and then I had a high end web browser and media player that otherwise worked perfectly, just wouldn't run any software. My 13" 2015 MBP I believe is on it's last version of OSX. Call me crazy, but I'd prefer at least 10 years of software support for such robust and costly hardware.

Also not a fan of how expensive their memory is. When I ordered my Ipad Pro last year, it was $400 to go from 512gb to 1Tb. That's just absurd in this day and age.
BrazosDog02
AG
I can't verify that you can even run windows on any of these MacBooks any more since boot camp is not supported. If that's the case, I'd steer clear of MacBooks unless you are running image editing stuff or software with native support. Looks like it's more fragmented than ever before.
Sea Speed
AG
It has probably been a decade since I needed to run a windows program on my personal laptop.
BrazosDog02
AG
My management software is Windows only, kids game on them and those are almost all windows only. Office has a Mac version which is fine but that's the only software that does for me. Everything else is 100% Windows based. No support for Mac, not even a software version for it. It's very limited for me from a business sense and for the kids from a gaming standpoint. ***shrug***

When I had my MacBook, I LOVED it. But the fact was it was mostly useless as an operating system for day to day business needs. Business still runs on windows. I personally wish this was not the case, but it is.
Sea Speed
AG
I totally get it. When i was in school I had to use parallels or boot camp a bunch but luckily not anymore. The lack of frustration with garbage PCs is worth the extra few bucks for my very light computing needs. My work provides a surface pro for any business stuff and personally I wouldn't want to do any business stuff on my personal computer anyways.
BrazosDog02
AG
I bought it anyway. We're going to make this work. I have always been in love with MacOS and Linux but I couldn't practically use them. Apple has always been way ahead of the curve on hardware/software sync. At work, All of our geophysical work and software was Linux based. We ran Redhat and CentOS variants and it was great because you didn't have an option otherwise. However, when it came time to present all this data and write final reports, its was Windows 100%.

I wish there was more uniformity with software. I'd like to be able to use Linux and Apple and still use industry standard software like Office. Office has Mac version, smartly. Adobe has no problem linking across, but not all developers have the funds to support all systems.
The Dog Lord
AG
As a PC user my whole life, I've always been interested in the Mac/PC debate. I don't have the Mac experience to know if I'm "missing out" on something, but I've never had issues with a PC.

In fact, I do more and more with it every year, including more within the O365 suite. Work almost exclusively uses Windows, and I like being able to use a personal device for some work stuff when needed.

I don't really know any "power users" of Macs either, so I haven't even had second-hand exposure as to what is supposed to be so great. Those I know of mostly use them for general personal use that would also be fine on a PC. Some of those that insist on using a Mac at work are the ones that have the most issues (and they have no need for a Mac anyway).

I could understand wanting to use it more for those deep in the Apple ecosystem. I have an iPhone but not a watch or tablet, so that's not a draw for me. I used an iPad back in the day but mostly just when traveling as an entertainment device. Over time a surface replaced my iPad since it doubled as a full PC when needed. Eventually I ditched it too for a normal laptop. I just don't really have a use for a tablet most of the time. I'd rather type notes and it has a touchscreen if I ever want to use it.
Sea Speed
AG
To me, it is just so simple and clean and sleek and not bloated with tons of bs. Every pc i have ever had just ran like absolute garbage and had tons of bloatware and was always bugging out or lagging or just being a general PITA. Macs haven't been perfect but I do not get annoyed every time I use them like I do with a PC.

That said, I am staunchly anti iPhone, which doesn't really make much sense, I know.
dtkprowler
AG
Sea Speed said:

To me, it is just so simple and clean and sleek and not bloated with tons of bs. Every pc i have ever had just ran like absolute garbage and had tons of bloatware and was always bugging out or lagging or just being a general PITA. Macs haven't been perfect but I do not get annoyed every time I use them like I do with a PC.

That said, I am staunchly anti iPhone, which doesn't really make much sense, I know.
Spidermans pointing meme
boy09
AG
FatZilla said:

evan_aggie said:

Thats a load of bull you read right off the apple marketing slide at their event. It wasn't even added in the right context from the person who actually said it from apple which was no doubt intentional. Its not even close to true and only served to pull the wool over the apple fanboy eyes to get them to buy these garbage 8gb systems. This was also only for the m3 chips, not the older m2 or m1, which this deal is for.

Original quote:
Quote:

Actually, 8GB on an M3 MacBook Pro is probably analogous to 16GB on other systems. We just happen to be able to use it much more efficiently. And so what I would say is I would have people come in and try what they want to do on their systems, and they will I think see incredible performance.

Its absolutely laughable that people are willing to pay that much money for sub-substandard components. 8gb ram is trash on any modern system above a $300 price point. That ram chip is literally a less than a Starbucks coffee at their market purchase point so adding a second 8gb onto the board costs almost nothing. Check the upgrade price for a 16gb from Base model. They want $200 for it. I just bought an entire windows laptop for just over $200 and it had 8gb of integrated ram in it.

Now here's a guy who's never actually used an Apple silicon Mac with 8gb of ram...

I've been running a M2 Mac Mini with 8gb of ram for about a year with zero issues. Running Windows 10/11 with only 8gb of ram is rough experience.

It's not an apples to apples comparison, no matter how much you want make it seem like it is.
evan_aggie
AG
Exactly. Blind uninformed statements.

And to be clear, 2 things can be true at once:

1) 8GB of RAM can be sufficient for 95% of users
2) Apple charges way too much for RAM/SSD upgrades
FatZilla
AG
evan_aggie said:

Exactly. Blind uninformed statements.

And to be clear, 2 things can be true at once:

1) 8GB of RAM can be sufficient for 95% of users
2) Apple charges way too much for RAM/SSD upgrades

Except point 1 is not what was said. The blind uninformed statement is stating 8gb of ram on a mac is directly equal to 16gb of ram on a pc.
BrazosDog02
AG
Damn, well, this Apple machine is going back for return. After a cursory search, it seems there are lawsuits between apple and some game developers, so they aren't updating their software for Mac. Moreover, there is no easy method of getting Windows on the machine anymore with the Apple Silicon M chips.

What a damn shame. Apple has further fragmented itself out of the mainstream and continues to insist on being 'different'. I have had a few Macs and when they were Intel, it was OK, but otherwise, It confirms my feeling that Mac is really good for people who write emails, surf the internet, or image editors. I'm bummed.

Cheap ****box Windows machines are a dime a dozen and they still hold the lions share of the market. I'm just pissed off that it won't work like I want it to and there isn't single damn thing I can do about it.

I could have kept a Mac for a decade and kept it in very serviceable condition. A windows machine gets tossed every few years. Fuggin' Apple. Looks like my old macbook Pro is the last Mac I'll ever be able to own and use for work like an adult. It's now literally an expensive toy for someone to feel different. I'm sad, pissed, frustrated all at the same time.
aggieforester05
AG
Yeah, I'm no fan of the limitations of the M processors either. Not sure what to do when my 2019 dies or is no longer supported. Stupidity on Apple's part!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.