internet access from a nursing home/retirement home

1,294 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Rex Racer
CapCity12thMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My dad is 90, wheel chair bound, but still has enough dexterity to use his computer keyboard/mouse and remote control for TVs. That's about it. So, these two things are his way outside his facility. I have been teaching him to use more audio controlled features of his chromebook, as well as his FireTV remote, and his Alexa. This seems to be working for him. He has 100% mental capacities.

The issue is internet capabilities. There is no internet service from a major provider in these facilities because they assume nobody has any brains left. There is Guest wifi but it is atrocious, unstable and cannot sustain video (2-3 up/2-3 down)

Getting the facility to work with a Spectrum or whomever else is darn near impossible to formally obtain service in a specific room.

I got him an ATT mobile hotspot, 50GB plan to see how it would go. It is not a 5g one, so the speed is not great but doing ok for him now. The killer is - after 2-3 weeks he is already at 60+GB usage. He watches about 4-5 hours of TV per day (sometimes all streaming versus the OTA signals he gets), and he does have Alexa playing music a lot, but that is it. Hard to imagine he is using that much data, but here we are. We can move to the 100GB plan but that is trending like it won't be enough. The overages are killer.

Anyone have any recommendations here? Seems like most major wireless carriers want everything tied to a phone, which he doesn't need.
DallasTeleAg
https://www.t-mobile.com/home-internet

I had a customer use this for a couple months while AT&T builtout services, and it seemed to work well.
CapCity12thMan
AG
yes I looked at that...it asks for an address (why I don't know - thought this was over the cell network)...and this is what i get:

T-Mobile 5G Home Internet is not available at your address just yet. But we may have options that work for you!

my dad's locatoion is in Burleson, TX so its not like it is out in the boonies somewhere.
agnerd
AG
If dad's 90-year-old eye-sight isn't great, show him how to reduce the resolution on the videos he's watching. Can probably easily cut his usage in half.

Also make sure he isn't sharing the wifi password with the staff or anyone else in the home. Change the default password just to be sure and make sure you aren't paying for the staff or any nearby residents internet usage. Might not even be a bad idea for him to not know the wifi password.
FatZilla
AG
CapCity12thMan said:

yes I looked at that...it asks for an address (why I don't know - thought this was over the cell network)...and this is what i get:

T-Mobile 5G Home Internet is not available at your address just yet. But we may have options that work for you!

my dad's locatoion is in Burleson, TX so its not like it is out in the boonies somewhere.

While technically against TOS, you can put your address in and then just take the thing there and set it up.

Or call them up about new service, give them that address and explain its a shared community/nursing home and the address search isn't recognizing it and you need a manual order placed so you can get him internet? The store employees can also help and do have the internet units in stock if there is a store near his location. Can explain the same to them to see if they can help but a call is easier than driving a bunch.

Once that thing is active and hitting towers, it should work anywhere as long as you plug it in and it has cell signal. Hence, option 1.
CapCity12thMan
AG
62 GBs over 14 days, so 4.5GB/day...

How many hours of 1080p is that?
How many GBs does 1 hour of music stream?
CapCity12thMan
AG
The staff at his facility has trouble replacing batteries in a remote control, so I am not concerned they are able to navigate the cryptic menu system on the hotspot device. I do think it has MAC filtering, so I could just do that with his Chromebook, TV and Alexa. it's only 3 devices. As I said my dad is there 24x7 so he would see anyone snooping around.
DallasTeleAg
As others have said, just buy it and bring it out there. If it doesn't work, then no biggie. You can go up to the T-Mobile store and pick one up in person, usually. AT&T seems to offer a similar service, but I have no experience with theirs.

At the end of the day, try it for a month and see if it works. if not, you're out $50.
UmustBKidding
Where my mother was at there were actually Ethernet jacks in the room and public wifi. The wifi was overloaded but it was the rf segment not the network. You could connect a device and get an address out of the same dhcp pool as the wifi but be 10x as fast. But they seemed to limit the number of devices on a segment and blocked mac block from typically router vendors. So i spoofed the mac on a router to one from a dead dell laptop and things were fine. I actually traffic shaped the video bandwidth down so things would probe and select a 720p stream instead of hd. Also ran cameras and voip over it. Facility had outage for a few week (was popular) and i used a hotspot to provide the wan but with lower video resolution and g729 on voip had no bandwidth issues.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
UmustBKidding said:

Where my mother was at there were actually Ethernet jacks in the room and public wifi. The wifi was overloaded but it was the rf segment not the network. You could connect a device and get an address out of the same dhcp pool as the wifi but be 10x as fast. But they seemed to limit the number of devices on a segment and blocked mac block from typically router vendors. So i spoofed the mac on a router to one from a dead dell laptop and things were fine. I actually traffic shaped the video bandwidth down so things would probe and select a 720p stream instead of hd. Also ran cameras and voip over it. Facility had outage for a few week (was popular) and i used a hotspot to provide the wan but with lower video resolution and g729 on voip had no bandwidth issues.
I am not the Six Million Dollar Man, but I might need that surgery. "We have the technology, we can rebuild him!"
91AggieLawyer
AG
What sorts of problems are you having with the local cable provider? I took a TV to a friend in a similar place who had a cable outlet in her room. Not saying that means every facility is like that, but I'm wondering why they don't or aren't equipped to handle something so obvious. I understand not being wired for ethernet but simple cable?
Rex Racer
AG
My Dad is in a facility in Bryan. So far I am able to use their guest WiFi with very few issues. If I had to bring in a cellular hotspot, I would be worried about it disappearing. He has already had three Roku remotes go missing. Hacks me off.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.