Cable modem recommendation?

508 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by akaggie05
Caesar4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My ~6-7 year old Motorola modem seems to have reached the age to enter an assisted living facility. It goes offline about 1-2 times per week for 10-20 mins. Every time, I contact spectrum and they say there is no outage. But, before I get to speak (chat) with anyone, it comes back online.

Last night I it went out again and this time I kept the chat session going. They (Spectrum) are sending me a new modem (no charge and no monthly rental fee). I probably won't use theirs because I'm expecting that theirs will not let me configure the DNS server (I use OpenDNS for some content filtering). That limitation is why I went with my own in the first place, around 2017.

So, I'm thinking I will buy my own. What's good these days? Speedtest on my laptop (WiFi) shows ~300 Mbps down, 15 Mbps up. I think my old Motorola modem was spec'ed at 400 Mbps. I have no idea if I could get higher rates with a better modem.

I won't be using WiFi from the modem so don't care about that...I'll turn it off. I guess I'd prefer to not have WiFi at all from the modem but it's looking like all the modems that I've seen support WiFi.

I think I'm leaning toward getting one with more ports (4) because I'm wanting to setup a homelab with firewall, ESXi, etc.)

Quick Amazon check showed these. Any thoughts/comments on these or other brands/models?
JSKolache
AG
Cable modems run hot b/c they are ON 24/7/365. They are consumables. Surprised you got 7 yrs out of one. I tried an arris after reading good reviews but mine burned out/started kicking off too often after about 2 yrs. Switched to a nighthawk and been good for 3+ yrs ... knock on wood...
91AggieLawyer
AG
I need to make sure I can find it, but if I still have it and you want it, you can have this one. Its an older one, but still has the speeds it sounds like you're looking for. The only thing is, I'm not shipping. If you're in DFW (or can come here), great. If not, sorry.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MA5U1FW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
Caesar4
AG
Thx. I'm in Central TX and won't be traveling any time soon.
Caesar4
AG
Thx for the info.
akaggie05
AG
It sucks but you might be forced to go with their modem sooner rather than later. Spectrum is currently in the process of rolling out "high split" across their network to allow for faster upload speeds. I'm seeing reports their only their modems are making it onto the official approved lists in the upgraded areas. Just google "spectrum high split" for more than you wanted to read.

Edit: would not recommend that SB6183 above. It's DOCSIS 3.0 (not 3.1) and cannot use the OFDMA downstream channels that are widely deployed now. It will suck wind, bad.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.