Vehicle dashcam recommendations?

1,105 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by EMY92
Caesar4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd like front & rear cameras and I intend to hardwire. So many brands/models as well as reviews. I think I'd like to keep the cost < $200 (because I want to populate 4 cars, eventually). Looking for firsthand recommendations (and possibly pros/cons if you have time).
Ted Lasso
AG
Small aukey dashcam I bought on Amazon for $50 in 2017. It proved that it was indeed the other guy that ran the red light, because he initially blamed me. Still use the sam cam today. Use a high temp sd card due to heat it will take on.
Pman17
AG
Yea, Texas heat will kill dash cams if you're not careful or bought the right one. My Rexing died after 3 years. It was the camera sensor that went out.
92_Ag
AG
Check out dashcamtalk.com. The forums are a good place to learn and ask questions. You'll probably want a Starvis 2 sensor at this point but I don't know of many under your price limit. Lots to consider from things like parking mode, power options, even head unit location on some. I'm personally partial to Viofo, Street Guardian, Thinkware, and Blackvue, but every company has bad units. Some of the company reps from dashcam companies even hang out on that site.

Blackboxmycar.com has some good deals on packages and accessories too. The guys that run that site are helpful and know their stuff.
Big_Russ
AG
No experience with front and rear, but Garmin Mini 2 is a very good front if you give up on rear. Not sure what Garmin offers in the front/rear variety, but I'd look into it.

Unfortunately proved my innocence on the scene a month ago. Very easy phone interface allowed me to show the footage to the state trooper on the scene.
nwspmp
I previously have used Vava dual cam setups for mine and my wife's vehicles. With my new truck, I bought a Fitcam X dual setup. Great quality, the design is well thought out (the front camera mounts to the rear view mirror and is powered from the power going to the mirror) and installation was a snap. Looks factory.

Next vehicle will have the same, if they have a model for it (each is custom to the vehicle)

https://fitcamx.com/
AJ02
AG
I've had a Cobra dash cam for about 5 years now. I leave it in my windshield all day long in the blazing Houston sun and it still works. I've gone through so many others that can't handle the heat, or just stop working after several months. The Cobra has been great.
flakrat
AG
I have a Nextbase 322GW (I think that's the model). It supports a rear camera, although I don't have one.

Definitely research the SD card as you need one that is built to constantly be overwritten. Ditto in the heat.

I use mine primarily in NE Tennessee, so not Houston temps, butt it can still easily get over 100F in the summers inside a parked vehicle.

Edit: been using it for 3 years and cought 2 wrecks on it, neither that involved me thankfully.
bam02
AG
I've had a cheap ROAV I bought on Amazon 5 years ago. Works great aaftwr 5 years in the south texas heat. Front only though.

I put the same one in my wife's truck probably 4 years ago. Also still kicking.
EMY92
AG
I have a Nextbase 522, it's been solid.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.