Outdoors
Sponsored by

Because speeding tickets are outdoors-Protesting in court?

6,723 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 29 days ago by agz win
Pro Sandy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
coolerguy12 said:

I'm a firm believer that the state has to have a written statute that you violated in order to charge you with a crime. They can't just say "you went too fast, pay us money." I don't care about wasting a judges time. In order to break the law there has to be a law to break.

For example, in college I got a ticket for "riding an authorized vehicle on a roadway" while riding a cooler to class. I was able to prove that my vehicle was classified as a motor assisted scooter and could be operated in the same places as a bike. Just because a cop wrote a ticket doesn't mean a law was broken. Many folks here would have told me to just pay the ticket and stop with the sovereign citizen crap.
There is a written statue that the OP is accused of breaking

Sec. 545.352. PRIMA FACIE SPEED LIMITS. (a) A speed in excess of the limits established by Subsection (b) or under another provision of this subchapter is prima facie evidence that the speed is not reasonable and prudent and that the speed is unlawful.
coolerguy12
AG
So all you have to do is go to 545.351 and prove your speed was safe and prudent.
AgRyan04
coolerguy12 said:

I'm a firm believer that the state has to have a written statute that you violated in order to charge you with a crime. They can't just say "you went too fast, pay us money." I don't care about wasting a judges time. In order to break the law there has to be a law to break.

For example, in college I got a ticket for "riding an authorized vehicle on a roadway" while riding a cooler to class. I was able to prove that my vehicle was classified as a motor assisted scooter and could be operated in the same places as a bike. Just because a cop wrote a ticket doesn't mean a law was broken. Many folks here would have told me to just pay the ticket and stop with the sovereign citizen crap.

User name checks!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
tk111
AG
coolerguy12 said:

I think most would agree that your coolermobile citation was in considerably less traveled legal territory than speeding tickets.
O.G.
coolerguy12 said:

I want to see the cooler scooter thingy......also user name checks out.
GeorgiAg
AG
Georgia lawyer here so take it with a grain of salt.

Argue that speed limits only apply to commercial vehicles? Yeah, good luck with that.

Request a jury trial for a speeding ticket? Prepare for the maximum penalty the judge can give you for wasting time and resources.

In Georgia, speeding doesn't go on your driving record unless you are going more than 14 mph over the speed limit. That is what insurance companies will pull and may raise your rates. For every speeding ticket I or family or friends have had I seek to get it reduced to 14 or below so it won't be pulled by insurance. After that, it's just a small fine. Most solicitors will agree to that - quick negotiation and you are out of court.

Not worth fighting if insurance won't see it. At least my time is more valuable than that. Not sure what Texas does, but it looks like they report all speeding tix. It may be more beneficial to negotiate for a lower speed to be reported rather than fight the tix. You are more likely to get that. Looks like it always stays on your record in TX, but insurance companies can only consider it for rates for three years.
Pro Sandy
AG
coolerguy12 said:

So all you have to do is go to 545.351 and prove your speed was safe and prudent.
The written law that the OP is accused of violating exists. Your claim that no law exist is false. He was cited under Sec. 545.352 and his ticket includes that posted speed limit he is violating.

There are defenses he could claim, but not your claim that no law exists.
coolerguy12
AG
You are correct. The state has declared that posted speed limits are what they determine is safe and prudent. But it's not hard to prove that a higher speed can also be safe and prudent given certain traffic and weather conditions. I can't remember where it is but when I went through this years ago the only reference to actual speed limit signs are in reference to commercial vehicles yet cops still use the posted speed limit signs as limits for everyone else. If a semi truck can safely travel 70 mph it's not hard to prove that a personal car could safely travel at a higher speed and still be safe and prudent.

All I know is, if I'm in the OPs position I'm pleading not guilty based on the fact that I didn't get in a wreck, didn't cause a wreck, didn't drive off the road or anything else which is proof that my speed was safe and prudent. I'm not hoping to get off the hook on a typo on the ticket with his DL number. I rarely drive more than 5 mph over the posted speed limit so I haven't been able to test my theory yet.
Windy City Ag
AG
Prediction of how this all turns out when the OP pleads his case

Windy City Ag
AG
DP

GinMan
AG
GinMan
AG
AgRyan04 said:

Just some constructive feedback....I think you would have received different responses if you had included that you were wrongly ticketed for speeding when you werent in the intial post. Without that information, the initial post makes it seem like you're trying to get out of a ticket on a technicality, which I think is what spurred the comments you did get.

So I have to explain to Former Students in greater detail that I'm innocent until proven guilty in a court of law?
TXAG 05
AG
99.5% of the time when someone on here asks about how to get out of a ticket, they were speeding.

Since you claim that you weren't, we want to know how you are going to prove that in court.
Doc Hayworth
I had a ticked dismissed by a Traffic Court Judge because the Officer misspelled my first name on the ticket. He used all caps in my name except for the last letter of my first name he used a lower case letter creating an Asian sounding name when the Judge called my name and I didn't answer. When given my drivers license and the judge called my correct name, I answered.

The judge ruled she couldn't find someone who didn't exist guilty, and told the police officer it was due to his gross negligence that she was dismissing the ticket.

So, I would say go to traffic court with an atty and claim the ticket was written for someone other than yourself, since it's not your license number. Your signature on the ticket is not an admission of guilt.

you will pay the atty his fee, but it won't be as much as the ticket and your driving record will be cleared of that charge.
Mas89
AG
City? If in Houston, Sullo.
AgRyan04
GinMan said:

AgRyan04 said:

Just some constructive feedback....I think you would have received different responses if you had included that you were wrongly ticketed for speeding when you werent in the intial post. Without that information, the initial post makes it seem like you're trying to get out of a ticket on a technicality, which I think is what spurred the comments you did get.

So I have to explain to Former Students in greater detail that I'm innocent until proven guilty in a court of law?

You do you.....I was just trying to shed some light as to why you received the responses that seemed to suprise and upset you.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
I currently have a speeding ticket in process where I've hired a lawyer. It was in south houston (Alvin) where the cop busted me for going 57 in an alleged 50 MPH zone.

Problem is I was actually going the opposite direction and he pulled a U turn to pull me over. The direction he was going into town was governed with 50MPH and the direction I was heading (out of town) was governed by 55MPH. I called the cop out on this delta between speed limits given the directions we were both traveling and he lost his mind. Got really upset at me.

Doesnt matter but I'm not gonna get BOHICA'd because Bacon Bits didn't realize that speed limit signs were different for the different directions traffic was traveling.

So I had my lawyer request the dash cam and video evidence 5 months ago and still haven't gotten an update to see if they got it yet. But I'm sure the DA reviews that video and they'll shake their head. Followed up this morning with him.
I Am A Critic
How much was the ticket vs how much are you paying your laywer?
Username checks out.
jwoodmd
GinMan said:

hammerhead said:

Must be retired and have nothing else to do..

Pay the damn ticket and move on.

These comments have "millennial" written all over it…

My parents (father and mother) taught me to stand up for my rights. If the system has failed me, I'm going to fight the system. The decline of a free country starts with compliance to a flawed system.
This entire thread of responses by you is bizarre. Interesting you felt the need to clarify your parents were father and mother, you sound like a sovereign citizen follower, you call people communists for asking how you feel you can prove you weren't speeding, etc.
justnobody79
Doc Hayworth said:

I had a ticked dismissed by a Traffic Court Judge because the Officer misspelled my first name on the ticket. He used all caps in my name except for the last letter of my first name he used a lower case letter creating an Asian sounding name when the Judge called my name and I didn't answer. When given my drivers license and the judge called my correct name, I answered.

The judge ruled she couldn't find someone who didn't exist guilty, and told the police officer it was due to his gross negligence that she was dismissing the ticket.

So, I would say go to traffic court with an atty and claim the ticket was written for someone other than yourself, since it's not your license number. Your signature on the ticket is not an admission of guilt.

you will pay the atty his fee, but it won't be as much as the ticket and your driving record will be cleared of that charge.
In the case of the OP if he wanted to argue the clerical aspect of it I would say that if the cop made a clerical mistake reading a number while writing the ticket who is to say that he didn't make a mistake 1 minute earlier while reading a radar gun? I bet the judge may roll his eyes at that one but it would be entertaining to see since it's not my money on the line
justnobody79
Red Pear Luke (BCS) said:

I currently have a speeding ticket in process where I've hired a lawyer. It was in south houston (Alvin) where the cop busted me for going 57 in an alleged 50 MPH zone.

Problem is I was actually going the opposite direction and he pulled a U turn to pull me over. The direction he was going into town was governed with 50MPH and the direction I was heading (out of town) was governed by 55MPH. I called the cop out on this delta between speed limits given the directions we were both traveling and he lost his mind. Got really upset at me.

Doesnt matter but I'm not gonna get BOHICA'd because Bacon Bits didn't realize that speed limit signs were different for the different directions traffic was traveling.

So I had my lawyer request the dash cam and video evidence 5 months ago and still haven't gotten an update to see if they got it yet. But I'm sure the DA reviews that video and they'll shake their head. Followed up this morning with him.
I would take a cell phone video on the stretch of road where you got the ticket going both ways to keep as evidence
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
I Am A Critic said:

How much was the ticket vs how much are you paying your laywer?
I have a group legal benefit I pay $18 per month for so I am using that.... So not costing me really anything.
dodger02
AG
justnobody79 said:

tk111 said:

coolerguy12 said:

Look up prima facie speed limits in Texas. Long story short, the posted speed limits are only for commercial vehicles. For the rest of us the speed limit is whatever is safe and reasonable. The state has decided that the posted speed limit is safe and reasonable but the burden of proof is on them to prove your speed was unsafe or unreasonable.

I'm no expert, but this reads like sovereign citizen gobbledeegoop
if you were on I-10 in the middle of nowhere in West Texas, no traffic, clear weather, going 20 over the posted speed limit in a new corvette, the argument is you are going a safe and reasonable speed given the conditions.

to the OP you need to post the finer details of what your ticket states beyond the clerical error
I'm with tk111.

Could this be expanded to things like stop signs? As I pull up to a 4-way stop and see no one around for as far as the eye can see, are you telling me that I can just keep on driving without so much as lifting off the accelerator? Are stop signs just a suggestion, too?
tamc93
AG
Re stop signs.

One could make an argument that almost all stop signs in residential areas are not warranted and thus illegal. Not worth the time/money to do the study though.
dodger02
AG
To quote tk111, this reads like sovereign citizenship gobbledegook.
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

To quote tk111, this reads like sovereign citizenship gobbledegook.
Hey, it worked for Irwin Schiff with income taxes. Oh wait, . . . .he died in prison.

I was taught early on by my corporate counsels that you should pay attention to contract terms and drafting because it could end up in front of a judge and all that matters is that judge's opinion.

So yes, you can dream up frivolous arguments regarding gaps in legal theory or your own personal perception of the need for stop signs but really all that matters is the judge's decision as to whether you broke the law.

Gunny456
AG
Just not while driving.
tamc93
AG
Engineering practice. I have argued it both ways and applied "engineering judgement" many times.

Just drive around various communities and ask why there are no stop signs in some of them for similar sized roads in other similar sized communities.

Standard practice is add them, but a study would likely yield that most are not needed.

Cost of Study - $3k+
Ticket - +/- $300
ForeverAg
AG
I didnt bother reading anyone else post other than the first few, but I can tell you just show up and contest it. If the officer is not there the DA will throw the case out. Takes maybe an hour of your time of just waiting. Cops do not show up for speeding tickets. I have had success with this over the years probably 4/4 times.
GinMan
AG
jwoodmd said:

GinMan said:

hammerhead said:

Must be retired and have nothing else to do..

Pay the damn ticket and move on.

These comments have "millennial" written all over it…

My parents (father and mother) taught me to stand up for my rights. If the system has failed me, I'm going to fight the system. The decline of a free country starts with compliance to a flawed system.
This entire thread of responses by you is bizarre. Interesting you felt the need to clarify your parents were father and mother, you sound like a sovereign citizen follower, you call people communists for asking how you feel you can prove you weren't speeding, etc.

ItsA&InotA&M
Doc Hayworth said:

So, when the judge puts you on the stand under oath, you're going to lie to him about you not receiving that ticket? There's several kinds of wrong in doing that.
GinMan
AG
I've decided to seek further assistance in my court case. I have compiled a "Dream Team" of armchair Zoo professionals.
They will be representing me until further notice.
I am no longer allowed to respond to any questions or comments on the OB and TexAgs in it's entirety.

Please refer to my legal counsel with any further questions.
My representation will be the legal firm offices of
"Pro Sandy, Hammerhead, jwoodmd, and coolerguy12"

Plz respec my decision. I'm tryna do dis for my fam
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

I have compiled a "Dream Team" of armchair Zoo professionals.

"If the Drivers License digits don't fit, you must acquit."
dodger02
AG
As I look out my home office window at three stop signs (instead of 1...a practice that is becoming common in my small hometown) at a t-bone intersection in front of my house...I will not argue that there may be unneeded/unnecessary signs throughout our communities. I'll also not argue that the cost of the study and installation may never be recouped by the fines imposed through enforcement.

But, I furrow my brow at the jump from "unwarranted" to "thus illegal". That seems like a huge, F16-level leap.
Tecolote
AG
GinMan said:

I've decided to seek further assistance in my court case. I have compiled a "Dream Team" of armchair Zoo professionals.
They will be representing me until further notice.
I am no longer allowed to respond to any questions or comments on the OB and anywhere else on TexAgs.

Please refer to my legal counsel with any further questions.
My representation will be the legal firm offices of
"Pro Sandy, Hammerhead, jwoodmd, and coolerguy12"
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.