Outdoors
Sponsored by

Brisket

40,337 Views | 144 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by agfan2013
Aggielandma12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
awesome thread
Aggie_3
Nice bump
FCBlitz
What type of lid is on that cinder block smoker? I genuinely would love to see a picture of it.
cperry87
Has anyone tried a "foil boat"? I've seen people I trust vouch for them and say that they have great results.
agfan2013
AG
cperry87 said:

Has anyone tried a "foil boat"? I've seen people I trust vouch for them and say that they have great results.

Eh, it's just the latest "fad" for brisket cooking. For awhile it was tallow, now it's the foil boat, I'm sure it'll be something else in a few months.

I've tried it three different times and don't think it really does much different than wrapping in butcherpaper after your bark is good and set. If you are wanting a crispier bark, just cook longer uncovered in general. If you don't want crispy bark, you definitely want to wrap in paper or foil and not use the foil boat.

As always, it doesn't hurt to experiment and it's just another tool in the toolbox, but if you are looking for the "magic bullet" that will take your briskets up another level, I think you'll be disappointed. There are far more important things to work on like trimming, fire management, right pull temp, etc.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.