Kyle Dwyer and Asset Hero Finally Hammered via KBTX

42,934 Views | 157 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by ForeverAg1234
BluHorseShu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mr.Short-termMemory said:

HighPriorityAg said:

I wish some lawyers would take him to task, you can't just hide behind LLCs and commit those acts of deception and think you're above the law.
He rented to plenty of well heeled parents who can crush him.

I saw somewhere that there are several pending lawsuits filed in Brazos County.
We just received some ridiculous invoice from them after my son moved out and I've asked for proof of damage (since we took before and after pics). Ironically, the invoice creation and due date are exactly the same. I think they will continue to throw charges against the wall to see who will pay them.

Edit to add that the invoice states late fees will be charged every day after the due date (the date invoice was created/received). However the move out letter stated any charges would be deducted from the deposit which would include an itemized list of charges. So it sounds like they want us to pay up front for a 'broken sink', without any details and without just deducting from the deposit. Wonder what it takes to meet the standard of a class action suit....
BluHorseShu
AG
TAMU1990 said:

He can't be a broker for 2 years and has to pay a fine. NEVER RENT FROM ASSET HERO. Go to Aggie Parent pages on Facebook. The warnings have been there for years.

They love to stick it to college kids at the end of leases. Charging $4000-$10,000 for NOTHING. He was trying to get his maintenance done on the backs of renters. Paint, blinds, new appliances, carpet, etc. You had to argue with him about charges. It was a scheme to keep the deposit and to take in additional money from unsuspecting parents.

https://www.kbtx.com/2023/05/02/real-estate-brokers-license-probation-after-commission-finds-proof-state-code-violations/

Just an update and notice to anyone renting one of their properties. If you choose to dispute any final charges after moving out (which seemed to be well over the deposit amount), AH will immediately send the amount you owe to a collection agency if you did not pay the bill you are disputing within 10 days. The collection agency they use will add 50% of the total bill on top, thereby already increasing the amount owed by 50% immediately. So even if you dispute it with the collection agency and the original amount is reduced, you will still be paying the additional amount the collection agency added on.

Just word to the wise....This particular system is set up to inhibit any disputes of the charges. I think they also consider that there is a threshold where people will just give up and pay the bill because it will be cheaper than employing an attorney.

Always always always check to see who the property management company is before you rent in BCS.
12Power
Blu,
These people are scum. Thank you for the info. Did you file a grievance.
BluHorseShu
AG
12Power said:

Blu,
These people are scum. Thank you for the info. Did you file a grievance.
We're getting some guidance regarding it now.
Hornbeck
Does Dwyer own the collection agency as well? Inquiring minds wanna know.
TAMU1990
AG
Hornbeck said:

Does Dwyer own the collection agency as well? Inquiring minds wanna know.
Wouldn't put it past him...
TAMU1990
AG
Report him to TREC - he's got a file with them and they are familiar with his business practices.
Hornbeck
Same. That's why I asked. Maybe it's part of his scheme as well.
ForeverAg1234
Did y'all realize that all the Google reviews for Asset Hero are gone? He is posting daily fake reviews on the TNT Google page and deleted all the "we will plant a tree for your review"replies. He is focusing all the fake reviews and replies on "oh the old bad management is gone, this is a new and improved Kyle Dwyer".
maroon barchetta
"FormerAg"?
ForeverAg1234
Former student, forever Ag.
ForeverAg1234
TAMU1990 said:

Report him to TREC - he's got a file with them and they are familiar with his business practices.

And ethics complaint with Texas Realtors
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
FormerAg1234 said:

Did y'all realize that all the Google reviews for Asset Hero are gone? He is posting daily fake reviews on the TNT Google page and deleted all the "we will plant a tree for your review"replies. He is focusing all the fake reviews and replies on "oh the old bad management is gone, this is a new and improved Kyle Dwyer".

Google reviews shouldn't ever be used for anything, way too many of them for any business are fake. Their Yelp reviews are still terrible.
AG
I bought a rental property two years ago that he was managing. Luckily for me it didn't cost me anything but I'm sure the seller got screwed somehow. They were also trying to charge the tenants something like $50 a month for air filters.

If the tenants just refuse to pay these charges what happens?

BTW - the Asset Hero website is down. I'm thinking he is probably rebranding to get away from that tarnished name.
MiMi
S
1939 said:

I bought a rental property two years ago that he was managing. Luckily for me it didn't cost me anything but I'm sure the seller got screwed somehow. They were also trying to charge the tenants something like $50 a month for air filters.

If the tenants just refuse to pay these charges what happens?

BTW - the Asset Hero website is down. I'm thinking he is probably rebranding to get away from that tarnished name.

Yep, he is doing business as TNT Properties. I noticed the truck that sits in front of their office building on Barron Rd has a new wrap on it now. I'm sure new building signage will be up soon.
ForeverAg1234
Probably the owner was screwed big time. Watch the Dolcefino video, an owner was talking about his experience. He overcharged the owner with scam charges, when the owner was unable to pay, KD offered him to sell the property to relieve him from the financial burden.
kyle field 94
AG
I am starting to look for a house for next fall for my son.

He would like to live in historic district.

Are there any property managers that have a lot of listings in this area? Or what is the best way to find a house for him?
JMac03
AG
kyle field 94 said:

I am starting to look for a house for next fall for my son.

He would like to live in historic district.

Are there any property managers that have a lot of listings in this area? Or what is the best way to find a house for him?

Reach out to Aggieland Properties and see if they have any options.
Tookieclothespin
AG
Dang. I have a few units and have to deal with fighting renters for money over move-out shenanigans every summer. I assume this kind of a-holery is going to make it even harder on the honest companies.

Example 1 of many over the years:
Renter doesn't clean the unit per the contract which then triggers a professional move-out cleaning fee (note that this is much more expensive than just a weekly clean from a service). They leave tons of items, including a (very heavy) giant memory foam mattress on the third floor. I have to hire a moving company to get it out and dispose (-$$$). The entire place smells of "incense" and there are smoke stains up and down the wall. This kind of cleaning goes beyond a regular cleaning fee. Sometimes I end up doing this stuff myself because I know hiring out will go over the deposit amount which is such a pain to recover from tenants There was more, but just those two things already cost them a massive amount from the deposit and they have the ever living gall to attempt to fight me in court over it.

These are not cheap units and it's not a one-off.

This is why I won't invest further in real estate and never recommend it to newcomers. Wall street all the way.

edited to add: this is also why i am DIY and don't use a mgmt company. it's a PITA but they won't care about my property the way i do.
serhiih
AG
Howdy, 2027 Aggs here. I was planning to rent an apartment or house for the upcoming fall semester and stumbled across a nice option. I went on a tour and liked the property. Currently, I'm waiting for a sample contract and some additional information I requested from the agent.

The only issue is that this property is owned by TNT Properties. After reading all the threads and reviews, I assume I should stay away from them. However, following the mentioned court case with Kyle, have they become more reliable? Would you support this perspective or should I stay away from them regardless?
91_Aggie
AG
serhiih said:

Howdy, 2027 Aggs here. I was planning to rent an apartment or house for the upcoming fall semester and stumbled across a nice option. I went on a tour and liked the property. Currently, I'm waiting for a sample contract and some additional information I requested from the agent.

The only issue is that this property is owned by TNT Properties. After reading all the threads and reviews, I assume I should stay away from them. However, following the mentioned court case with Kyle, have they become more reliable? Would you support this perspective or should I stay away from them regardless?
I doubt he got better. When he lost his license, he had his wife get "licensed" so I would imagine they still wouldn't be completely on the up-and-up.

I would avoid if you can. and if you really want it, I'd get a copy of the contract and see if you can have lawyer look at it.
maroon barchetta
What is that crummy old AstroTurf area between the La Familia drive-thru and Kyle's building?
maroon barchetta
91_Aggie said:

serhiih said:

I doubt he got better. When he lost his license, he had his wife get "licensed" so I would imagine they still wouldn't be completely on the up-and-up.

I would avoid if you can. and if you really want it, I'd get a copy of the contract and see if you can have lawyer look at it.

Then you will need the lawyer to walk around with the property manager at final inspection to make sure you aren't getting dinged on bogus charges. That is how they were squeezing money out of so many people.
birdman
The more you step in manure, the worse your boot smells.

Just find somebody else to do business with.
TChaney
Please take this post with the levity intended.

You see a skunk.
It's been dyed to look a lot like a cat.
It still has it's scent glands and smells horrible.
It looks cute and you are thinking about adopting this "cat" but everyone tells you it stinks and it's really a skunk.

Do you adopt the "cat" and keep it as a pet?
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
serhiih said:

There has been nothing to suggest that they think they did anything wrong by scamming dozens or hundreds of tenants out of $1,000s after moving out.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
birdman said:

The more you step in manure, the worse your boot smells.

Just find somebody else to do business with.

Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
AggieCVQ
Just saw my comment was removed for calling them scammy. There is NOTHING untrue. I rented from them and received a huge bill that they passed onto the property owner because they absolutely botched transition of ownership. They screwed the owners AND the tenant

[We allow negative comments and reviews about local companies on this board but the post must have some detail and not just an insult or negative comment. -Staff]
oldag76
AG
There is no Kyle Dwyer in the AFS Database.
91_Aggie
AG
oldag76 said:

There is no Kyle Dwyer in the AFS Database.
look up Sarah Dwyer, his wife.
maroon barchetta
Seriously, what is the deal here? Did we buy up old astroturf from Kyle Field and put it down so we don't have to mow that lot?

The city will harass people with tall grass or a car in the yard, but someone can throw down trash next to their business and it's ok?
austinag1997
AG
This is illegal. You cannot withhold a deposit for normal wear and tear. That includes cleaning and even touch up paint. I had a landlord attempt to do this to me. I sent 3 certified letters threatening legal action and finally had my full deposit returned. I referenced the applicable code in the letters.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Were you getting tacos?
maroon barchetta
MsDoubleD81 said:

Were you getting tacos?

Absolutely.
Gus
AG
I was just notified by my son about this guy and sadly we are renting a property from his company (signed under Asset Hero back in summer of 2023). Luckily he thoroughly did a video during move in and will do the same upon leaving.

What else can he(we) do at this point? attempt to contact the owner?

Appreciate any help at this point.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.