Austin
Sponsored by

Crazy traffic expected during the total eclipse April 8th

5,460 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 28 days ago by MaroonStain
cityagboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

MouthBQ98
AG
SXSW and ACL don't bring the place to a halt.
Martin Cash
AG
Imbeciles
Aggie Therapist
AG
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I have work still.

I'll step outside look at it then go back inside.

Are all these out of towners just going to loiter on the free way during the eclipse and cause traffic jams?
cityagboy
AG
Aggie Therapist said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I have work still.

I'll step outside look at it then go back inside.

Are all these out of towners just going to loiter on the free way during the eclipse and cause traffic jams?
I mean. Yeah. I think the side of all highways and major roads will be crowded
JAW3336
AG
Big difference between those festivals and the number of people expected for the eclipse.

They are expecting the population of Bell county to at least double for the eclipse.
JAW3336
AG
Martin Cash said:

Imbeciles
Why?
cityagboy
AG
JAW3336 said:

Big difference between those festivals and the number of people expected for the eclipse.

They are expecting the population of Bell county to at least double for the eclipse.

Quickly googles bell county population

Damn
Martin Cash
AG
JAW3336 said:

Martin Cash said:

Imbeciles
Why?
Disaster? Drama queens.
cityagboy
AG
Martin Cash said:

JAW3336 said:

Martin Cash said:

Imbeciles
Why?
Disaster? Drama queens.

Who is being a drama queen. The people who are trying to see a total solar eclipse or the people who live in the Austin area that will have to deal with gridlock traffic?

And the declaration of disaster is some drama queen statement. It simply allows the county judge to take proactive measure in regards to road closures/ parking/ etc.

Both seem fair to me
Martin Cash
AG
Then call it a traffic advisory. Disaster is overly dramatic hyperbole.
cityagboy
AG
Martin Cash said:

Then call it a traffic advisory. Disaster is overly dramatic hyperbole.

It's the official political tool to give them authority… they didn't just decide to call it a disaster
JAW3336
AG
Martin Cash said:

JAW3336 said:

Martin Cash said:

Imbeciles
Why?
Disaster? Drama queens.
I am guessing you don't understand a disaster declaration.
MouthBQ98
AG
I get why they did it, but it seems surprising to me there are so many astronomy geeks out there that their numbers will be like a hurricane evacuation.
putu
AG
Travel North/South may not be bad, but anything west of 35 will be a nightmare on the day of. Expect food and gas shortages. make sure all vehicles have gas. could be days before resupply.

I'm in the hotel biz and our resort has been near sold out since 2018 (international astrology groups from around the world). most of our guests are from out of state and country.

we have been prepped by local and state LEO for months.
hopefully it's all precaution and not as bad as they are saying. we are concerned our hourly workers won't be able to make it to work that day.
"Cal (9-3) vs. Texas A&M (9-3). On the list of rare sights in Southern California, a team running the option -- as the Aggies like to do with QB Stephen McGee -- ranks right up there with real breasts and 12 inches of snow." Stewart Mandel CNNSI
AG
Already bought my solar glasses and will work from home that day.
JB
AG
I don't get the excitement either.

My mom lives in Kerrville and the city has been planning for years. Disaster declaration, all the hotels booked, schools out etc.
Martin Cash
AG
JB said:

My mom lives in Kerrville and the city has been planning for years. Disaster declaration, all the hotels booked, schools out etc.
Me either. I've seen the sun disappear over 26,000 times.
AG
JB said:

Personally I think it's pretty cool.

If you saw the annular solar eclipse on October 14, 2023, through eclipse glasses, and you're considering giving this one a miss, think again. This is a total solar eclipse, where the moon will briefly cover the entire disk of the sun.

Only during this kind of solar eclipse can the sun's outer corona be seen with the naked eyeit's like seeing our star for the first time, floating in space, and it's guaranteed to leave you a gibbering wreck.

Sounds like we won't see it again for another 54 years, at least from Austin.

https://www.space.com/10-things-you-probably-did-not-know-about-the-2024-total-solar-eclipse
jah003
S
Agreed… this is way different than a partial. Partial is cool for like .5 seconds and then you go back inside.

I had friends drive to Kentucky for the last one and said it's indescribable how cool it is.
vic99
AG
I now think this will be crazy....I was blowing it off before.
I just tried to book a flight to Cali Tuesday-Thurs (day after the eclipse).
$3000 for what is normally a $350 flight. There was nothing available. nada. This will be interesting.
AgGrad99
AG
Maybe I'll understand when I see it, but I don't get it. Im convinced, other than being darker for a few minutes, this will be similar to the partial eclipse we saw a year or so ago.

I'm also curious if the freakout about our local services, etc are warranted, or if it'll just be busy around town for a day. Guess we'll find out.
JAW3336
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Maybe I'll understand when I see it, but I don't get it. Im convinced, other than being darker for a few minutes, this will be similar to the partial eclipse we saw a year or so ago.

I'm also curious if the freakout about our local services, etc are warranted, or if it'll just be busy around town for a day. Guess we'll find out.
Maybe people just want to see something that will only happen close by once in their lifetime. Even if it doesn't interest you.
AgGrad99
AG
JAW3336 said:

AgGrad99 said:

Maybe people just want to see something that will only happen close by once in their lifetime. Even if it doesn't interest you.

Did I suggest something different? Of course that'll be the case for a lot of people.

But I've also heard a lot of talk about how 'amazing' the last one was, and this one will be. Like I said...maybe I'll understand when I see it.

I'm not criticizing anyone. Just saying I don't understand.
txags92
AG
I am starting to think we are going to have a lot of disappointed travellers.

Aggie Therapist
AG
I'll be at work in Georgetown!
jah003
S
txags92 said:

Cloud coverage map 10 days out means absolutely nothing.
txags92
AG
jah003 said:

txags92 said:

Cloud coverage map 10 days out means absolutely nothing.
Not "nothing", but I agree it has little predictive value and I wouldn't change plans based on it.
AggieOO
A week out and still looking like clouds. I'll start believing it a bit more on wed/thur
TequilaMockingbird
I'm keeping up with the Killeen area forecast since that's about as close I might get, IF I decide to make the trek. One week out-

Partly to mostly cloudy with scattered showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 81F. Winds SE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 60%.
Complete Idiot
My brother and his family, FIVE kids 11 and under, decided to fly to Texas from Virginia for this eclipse (and they haven't visited us here in a long time - but mainly for the eclipse). Seems like an expensive eclipse dud based on the cloud cover predictions. The 8th falls right in the middle of a cloudy period of 5 days, so it doesn't look great for a big forecast change but we'll cross our fingers.

Aggie Therapist
AG
Any other brushy creek or round rock peeps here?
fourth deck
AG
Aggie Therapist said:

Any other brushy creek or round rock peeps here?

Right on Brushy Creek over here. Forecast is not looking so great right now. Had a beautiful clear day when the 2017 eclipse passed over our old house in SC, got about 45s of totality from the comfort of our own yard. Most of the people who headed to SC in 2017 went to Charleston and it was cloudy down in the low country that day. I think there was a break in the clouds during totality though. That's what I'm starting to hope for now.

Wife wanted to venture over to Old Settler's but I don't even want to leave the neighborhood honestly and deal with the crowds. Dell Diamond is selling tickets to watch at the ballpark too.
Aggie Therapist
AG
No kidding?!

I was North Carolina for the 2017 years eclipse. We lived in Pinehurst when I was stationed at Fort Bragg
MouthBQ98
AG
Well, it's thunderstorms so there will be hit or miss clouds. It'll get really dark for a couple of minutes either way. It'll just be chance if anyone gets to see the Sun itself or not in central texas.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.