Austin
Sponsored by

Crazy traffic expected during the total eclipse April 8th

5,458 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 28 days ago by MaroonStain
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Well, it's thunderstorms so there will be hit or miss clouds. It'll get really dark for a couple of minutes either way. It'll just be chance if anyone gets to see the Sun itself or not in central texas.
Going to be very touch and go. Small changes in the timing of the rain moving in will be the difference between sun or clouds in the eclipse area.

This is current GFS model of cloud cover for midnight sunday night:

And this is the current model for noon on Monday:

Complete Idiot
A lot of people might be disappointed, especially anyone who traveled a long distance and who paid jacked up prices for lodging.
cityagboy
AG
Weather could make traffic even worse than expected on Monday cause people are going to be making last minute changes to their viewing locations
austinag1997
AG
cityagboy said:

Aggie Therapist said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I have work still.

I'll step outside look at it then go back inside.

Are all these out of towners just going to loiter on the free way during the eclipse and cause traffic jams?
I mean. Yeah. I think the side of all highways and major roads will be crowded

Parking on the ROW is not allowed. Literally posted everywhere.
cityagboy
AG
austinag1997 said:

cityagboy said:

Aggie Therapist said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I have work still.

I'll step outside look at it then go back inside.

Are all these out of towners just going to loiter on the free way during the eclipse and cause traffic jams?
I mean. Yeah. I think the side of all highways and major roads will be crowded

Parking on the ROW is not allowed. Literally posted everywhere.
I haven't seen it posted…. Sorry.

Even if it is I doubt people follow the rules
Fightin2010
AG
I was just downtown Austin and it was a ghost town. Everyone bail to the hill country?
The Fall Guy
AG
The Govt overhyped this and this caused the locals to not want to go out. Lost revenue for locals with all the overstock. Lots to put in the landfills or sell for cheap
KT 90
AG
Fightin2010 said:

I was just downtown Austin and it was a ghost town. Everyone bail to the hill country?

Probably decent crowds in the hill country, but I think following the cloudy forecast for our area the truely crazy eclipse people decided to head to the midwest (Indiana, Ohio, etc) where supposedly there will be better viewing opportunities.
Aggie Therapist
AG
Fredericksburg is right on the totality path

I'm at work in Georgetown
AggieOO
KT 90 said:

Fightin2010 said:

Probably decent crowds in the hill country, but I think following the cloudy forecast for our area the truely crazy eclipse people decided to head to the midwest (Indiana, Ohio, etc) where supposedly there will be better viewing opportunities.

This. Lots of cancellations bc of the cloudy weather.
Complete Idiot
We drove out to lake Buchanan for 4 minutes of totality, clouds break for twenty minutes leading up to it and all through the eclipse , got lucky
Leander - Ag
AG
Traffic was light all day…. Crowds were overhyped
Aggie Therapist
AG
Yeah, had clear skies for the eclipse on Georgetown
D Nauti
7:00, I'm in Kingsland and the only mess I see looking at Apple Maps is the people leaving the Rave outside of Burnet. Every little town in the area has had a jam at some point, but they didn't last more than a couple of hours.

I watched from the side of the lake and was expecting 4th of July. That's every house full, of the 40 houses we could see, there were only 5 that had people we could see outside. Only issue was the A***ole who had to crank up the Journey and surf in the dark.
Complete Idiot
Took an hour to get to Lake Buchanan, two hours to get back. Not too bad.
Martin Cash
AG
Can I drain my bathtubs? Is the disaster declaration off? Can I find gas and food now?
AgGrad99
AG
Nvm
cityagboy
AG
Martin Cash said:

Can I drain my bathtubs? Is the disaster declaration off? Can I find gas and food now?

You know that was simply so they could have a judge give approval on traffic related issues…..

But troll on
Aggie Therapist
AG
Was it fun in west Georgetown.

The clouds went away for the totality
MaroonStain
AG
I took yesterday and today as PTO for the eclipse. It was a good call even without masses pouring into ATX and Hill Country. I went outside and looked up at the grey clouds. After a strange sensation and quick faint speel, I finally figured out that I turned into a werewolf. Went to bed finally at 2am and woke up normal but shaggy hair everywhere.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.