Houston
Sponsored by

The rise of "Student Driver" bumper stickers

5,047 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Heineken-Ashi
WestHoustonAg79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I "learned" how to drive via a mail in/online class plus parent in person course called "drivers ed in a box" (no joke lol). Circa 2005. I grew up in suburban Houston but drove a lot at our 60 acres out of town a good amount etc

Only reason I'm sharing is that I imagine programs like this have gotten increasingly popular the last 20ish years and maybe it's a requirement for them to put that on the car now?

I have also been increasingly aware that kids don't even do drivers ed and wait till 18 now? I mean what gives with that? Bewildering now. I hear about HS kids ubering around? So odd to me.

If it's a new scam for whatever reason they are capitalizing on. I'll give kudos to those crooks. Pretty novel idea

EclipseAg
AG
I took driver's ed the old-fashioned way -- first with simulators where you drove a fake car while watching a traffic movie, which we called "stimulators."

And then behind the wheel with three other kids and a coach.
combat wombat™
AG
I did drivers ed as a class in high school. No simulators were involved. But this was 1985.
12Power
Same here. There was a really sh***y girl driver in my car. She took a curve in a residential neighborhood at 35 mph. That spare break came n handy in that moment.
eric76
AG
EclipseAg said:

I took driver's ed the old-fashioned way -- first with simulators where you drove a fake car while watching a traffic movie, which we called "stimulators."

And then behind the wheel with three other kids and a coach.
My only driving instruction was my father telling me which pedal did what and how to shift gears. He then got in the back of the pickup and off we went.

Also, the pickup was far from street legal. It had no brakes, no windshield wipers, no horn, no turn signals, and no brake lights.

I was about 12 at the time.

The heater was also pretty useless, but it was summer so that didn't matter.
eaa84059-c3ef-468a-998c-75e682c328fa@8shield.net
Heineken-Ashi
Saw one last weekend. Rolling stops at red lights, no blinker on changing lanes, going 10 over in a 40. Thought to myself.. "man this student sucks". When I got a peek at who was driving, there was nobody in the passenger seat. Guy looked middle eastern.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.