Houston
Sponsored by

Authentic Mexican Food

2,684 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by Yao Bling
chico
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
hombre - way to make a generalization without mentioning specific places.
I'm a big fan of Tex-Mex, but the original poster requested more authentic Mexican, and that's what I've been mentioning. Here's some specific dishes at specific places.

snapper a la plancha at Tampico
tikin xik or cochinita pibil at Pico's
ice cream (yes) at JJ's
lamb or cabrito at El Hidalguense
machacado at Los Corrales
huaraches at Gorditas Aguascalientes
orejas at any panaderia

I'm also a big fan of the carnicerias (eg La Michoacana Meat Mkt) around town - I do realize that many people would be scared silly eating at them! However, I've had some terrific food at some of them. They can be very inconsistent. But you'll always find something authentic at the steam tables in these places. Just pay at the register for a "platillo" or "plate lunch", about $5.00. Then go to the steam table and point to what you want.

Regarding Marvin, I've seen his reports nail plenty of places, both low-brow and high-brow. I've eaten at taco trucks & carnicerias for years and never had a problem.
hombre
I can see where you're coming from. For me it is inconsistentancy that keeps me from visiting most those places.

Others want to be different and love those places just because they are off the beaten path,; as if the atmosphere covers for poor quality.
Yao Bling
quote:
Yao - go out to El Hidalguense on Long Point on some Fri/Sat nite. Get the lamb, see the cheesy lounge performers, have some hand-made corn tortillas. I can tell by your posts that you'll be thoed (or whatever the heck that is) by this place. It's unlike all the Tex-Mex joints mentioned on this thread.
Another fun place for cheesy lounge performers is Mucho Mexico on Wayside. Or try Fiesta en Guadalajara on Fulton - lots of mariachis there strolling around. It's Tex-Mex as well, but a fun atmosphere.

cool, ill have to check a few of those out. Sound like my type of stuff. Longpoint is very thoed.

one of the best restaurant with lounge performers ive ever been to is El Moderno in Piedras Negras. dude was doing perfect slow renditions of all these love songs including "Hacer en Amor Con Otro" by Alejandra guzman.
schmendeler
AG
it's not mexican, but red onion is good.
dreyOO
hombre,

i consider myself fairly picky, but you're ripping some decent places...where exactly do you go for the consistency you're looking for? and are you paying an arm and a leg for it?

tia
crewez
AG
The best authentic Mexican food I have had was at a little place in a new-ish shopping center on Sheldon Rd south of Wallisville in Channelview.

I can't for the life of me remember the name, but it was just a little cafe-type place with awesome Mexican homestyle food--prepared exactly the way I get it when I'm in Mexico. It's like having your own muchacha making you tacos and milanesa with fresh salsa, frijoles, and arroz.
chico
AG
crewez - that sounds most excellent. I did a little research....would it be Armenta's??
Yao Bling
i think its called Rico's on North Main.

the Juevos con Chorizo a la mexicana con queso rivals Andy's. a really good place for late night/early morning grub and atmosphere.
crewez
AG
I can't remember. If you go looking for it I'm sure you'd find it. It's in a little strip on the far left and it's next to a haircut place or something like that.

Anyway, it was perfectly authentic as far as I'm concerned (I usually am in Monterrey when I'm in Mexico), all the way to the Coca Light (>>>>Diet Coke) in bottles (or Topo Chico, whatever you prefer).

[This message has been edited by crewez (edited 7/17/2007 10:57a).]
Olive Bomb
Chico - I don't think that's what I'm thinking of. I'll pass by it later today & report back.
chico
AG
All this talk got me hungry for an old stand-by. So I had lunch at La Michoacana Meat Mkt on Hwy-6, just north of Clay Rd. All Carnicerias (Meat Mkt) are very similar - pay at the register & go to the steam table to point out what you want. I got the platillo and paid $5.40 after taxes. Here's what I got today, with explanations & comments on quality:

chopped fajitas (they always have 'em chopped in small bits) - good
seared nopalitos (pan stir-fried cactus pods with chile de arbol mixed in) - excellent
grilled whole Mexican onion - excellent
grilled whole serrano chile - most excellent
plain rice - lame
refried beans - just ok
corn tortillas - from a package & not too good
guajillo salsa - obviously home-made (I see 'em makin' it) & very excellent
lime - just a squirt on top of everything

for dessert, I picked up a fruit bowl by the register. For $1.50 it had lots of papaya chopped up along with tuna (*****ly pear cactus fruit), sprinkled with ground chile, salt & lime.
Yao Bling
sounds pretty damn good. there is one on Durham near 13th or 14th or something...or maybe shepherd. anyways it looks really really run down. like the type of place the Tejano Chain Saw Massacre folks would run.
chico
AG
yao - I've been in that La Michoacana several times. It's on the Shepherd side I believe. I had some pozole there, but it was extremely fatty and pretty bad. They have a slightly better store on Irvington near Cavalcade.

I think you're not too far from El Tiempo on Washington. Go in next door to the Matamoros Meat Mkt. I've been there lots. They have one of the better lunch counters around and a pretty decent butcher counter. Good salsa to-go by the register.
MAS444
AG
Regarding Rico's...I live right down the street. It's definitely much better f'd up at 3 in the morning than sober for dinner. However, they're chilaquiles is pretty damn good for breakfast.
Diggity
AG
quote:
Matamoros Meat Mkt

their premarinated skirt steak is also the bomb
Ronnie
AG
Taco Jefe in Channelview

Sheldon Rd.
crewez
AG
There you go. That place is money.
Ronnie
AG
And how do you know of the Jefe?
Yao Bling
quote:
Regarding Rico's...I live right down the street. It's definitely much better f'd up at 3 in the morning than sober for dinner. However, they're chilaquiles is pretty damn good for breakfast.

yea, i can only vouch for the juevos con chorizo a la mejicana con queso and the late night atmosphere. know nothing of the rest.
Andyzipp
AG
Jarro Cafe on N. Gessner between Hammerly and Long Point.

Excellent interior Mexican. Limited Nortenos menu available as well...if you're into that.

[This message has been edited by Andyzipp (edited 7/17/2007 9:56p).]
Yao Bling
Jarro is pretty good
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
There are several places down freeport street in Channelview that probably dont pass health code, but are pretty decent for the price. the place at Freeport and I-10 has good Pollo asado.
Ags #1
AG
Wasn't very impressed with Spanish Flowers. The tortillas were good but that was about it. I will have to try Andy's next.
Yao Bling
Andy's

get the Heights combo with queso on the beef burrito. queso is crucial and perfects the order.

or get the juevos con chorizo a la mejicana con queso and an additional tortilla. this is a tough order to pull off unless you have it memorized. every component is crucial.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.