West Texas
Sponsored by

What is the definitive boundary line for West Texas?

2,773 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Hewey Calloway
Andrew Dufresne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lots of opinions out there.. what is yours? What separates the West from the rest?
Txgunrnnr
AG
Being from Odessa, here's my opinion.

West Texas is Big Spring to Pecos. Anything west of Pecos is far west Texas ( Mexico ).
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB
UTExan
I have heard that one eminent Texas historian (Walter Prescott Webb) considered the 98th Meridian as the starting point for west Texas because rainfall tends to drop off significantly as you proceed west. Others say the Brazos River. The far west Texans will disagree. West Texas doesn't have to be sand and mesquite before it's west Texas.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
deadbq03
AG
It's an oversimplification, but US 277 is pretty dang close.

Or a similar oversimplification can be seen on Google maps. Zoom out until you can see the entire state on your screen. The light-tan is West Texas.

Obviously, there's an area that's up for debate along either of those lines, but if gun-to-your-head you had to choose, I think either of those would be pretty good.

For me in Abilene, I feel like it's truly on the border. The landscape/vegetation between the west (& north) and the east (& south) are noticeably different to me. Sweetwater and Anson are West Texas in my book; Buffalo Gap and Albany are not.

Or to think in commercial terms… if you live west of 35 and you've ever had to plan an overnight trip to DFW, Austin, or SA to go shopping (or have a list of things you need to get the next time you visit family) - you probably live in West Texas. If you never even bother going, you definitely live in West Texas. But if you can easily make it there and back on a Saturday, you probably don't.
wildcat08
AG
I hadn't thought about it, but 277 isn't a bad idea. Of course, when you're dealing with a pretty general term like that, it's difficult to have a definitive line. When I think of west Texas, I think of it as big ranch country, and there's no question they start getting bigger once you get west of 277. You're probably right that Albany is too far east geographically to be west Texas, but culturally it seems to fit.
SW AG80
AG
A line from Swee****er down through San Angelo and on to Sonora would be the eastern boundary of west Texas.

Cross a line from Mentone down to Pecos, Ft. Stockton, and Sanderson puts one in far west Texas.
LoneStarBQ
AG
SW AG80 said:

A line from Sweetwater down through San Angelo and on to Sonora would be the eastern boundary of west Texas.

Cross a line from Mentone down to Pecos, Ft. Stockton, and Sanderson puts one in far west Texas.

Agreed
LoneStarBQ Fightin' Texas Aggie Band Class of 89 Midland, TX
Ag98inTexas
AG
Is there a northern boundary? Where it's no longer West Texas, but Panhandle/South Plains? Because in Lubbock they still say they're in West Texas.
SW AG80
AG
The delineation of the northern boundary is just as tough. The people in the Panhandle are as genuine as west Texans.
But geographically there is a difference. Big Spring and Midland are definitely west Texas. But you get north of Big Spring, say Lamesa, and the topography becomes the South Plains. To me, Andrews is west Texas. Seminole is the South Plains because the topography changes.
wildcat08
AG
Ag98inTexas said:

Is there a northern boundary? Where it's no longer West Texas, but Panhandle/South Plains? Because in Lubbock they still say they're in West Texas.
Lubbock is South Plainsdefinitely not west Texas, in my book.
jja79
AG
Fort Stockton native here. Sterling City to Barnhart to Ozona to Comstock. Everything east of there is I don't know what but it's not west Texas. Not to me any way. North of Midland is something else too. Just my opinion.
UTExan
You folks don't think Abilene is west Texas? I was raised in that area and in the 1950s, folks definitely identified as being in west Texas. Wiki defines the eastern edge as Eastland, Erath and Brown counties. Which is how Walter Prescott Webb defined it.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
wildcat08
AG
UTExan said:

You folks don't think Abilene is west Texas? I was raised in that area and in the 1950s, folks definitely identified as being in west Texas. Wiki defines the eastern edge as Eastland, Erath and Brown counties. Which is how Walter Prescott Webb defined it.
Agree.
TXAGGIE10
UTExan said:

Abilene isn't West Texas.

I live in Alpine, and even San Angelo isn't talked about being in West Texas.
SW AG80
AG
The guy from Ft. Stockton agrees with you !!
UTExan
TXAGGIE10 said:

UTExan said:

That's Far West Texas.
Txgunrnnr
AG
Here we go, this should settle things once and for all! Especially for Austin.

“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB
TXAGGIE10
UTExan said:

TXAGGIE10 said:

UTExan said:

That's Far West Texas.

If this (Erath County) is considered west Texas, I can't take them seriously.

Trans-Pecos. Nobody says far west Texas out here. Must be an east Texas thing....j/k
UTExan
Txgunrnnr said:

Here we go, this should settle things once and for all! Especially for Austin.

Looks like El Paso is actually southwestern New Mexico.
jrdaustin
AG
wildcat08 said:

I hadn't thought about it, but 277 isn't a bad idea. Of course, when you're dealing with a pretty general term like that, it's difficult to have a definitive line. When I think of west Texas, I think of it as big ranch country, and there's no question they start getting bigger once you get west of 277. You're probably right that Albany is too far east geographically to be west Texas, but culturally it seems to fit.
I'd place it a little east of 277. I'd actually go with Highway 83 South from Abilene, and I might argue for 283 down to 87. Not too far North of Abilene you start getting into North Texas.

In other words. I consider Eden as being in West Texas. I consider Brady as being in Central Texas. We can argue over Melvin.
wildcat08
AG
jrdaustin said:

wildcat08 said:

I'd place it a little east of 277. I'd actually go with Highway 83 South from Abilene, and I might argue for 283 down to 87. Not too far North of Abilene you start getting into North Texas.

In other words. I consider Eden as being in West Texas. I consider Brady as being in Central Texas. We can argue over Melvin.
I'll buy that.
dead zip 01
AG
I've had this same discussion may times over the years.

In my opinion if you draw a line from Wichita Falls to Brownwood to Del Rio that is a pretty good boundary.
EMc77
AG
Always heard that Zane Grey said the west begain at the 100th meridian...

That is just east of Angelo, where I am from... Look at east of Angelo vs. the west side of Tom Green Co. Farming and all east. Oil and ranching west of town...

My .02
UTExan
I think a "dust storm" standard is correct. If you get dust storms, consider yourself West Texas, cause that's what you're getting.
jja79
AG
You have to drive 2 hours west to get to west Texas from Brownwood.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
EMc77 said:

Always heard that Zane Grey said the west begain at the 100th meridian...

That is just east of Angelo, where I am from... Look at east of Angelo vs. the west side of Tom Green Co. Farming and all east. Oil and ranching west of town...

My .02
I have always thought of the 100th meridian as the line.
BrazosBendHorn
wildcat08 said:

Ag98inTexas said:

Lubbock is South Plainsdefinitely not west Texas, in my book.
Evidently West Texas A&M way up in Canyon is badly misnamed ...

For my 2 cents, draw a line from Childress to Abilene and a line from Abilene to Junction. All the area to the west of that is West Texas ...

Someone mentioned anything west of the Brazos River. But where on the Brazos River? It empties into the gulf at Freeport, which is due south of Houston. Wharton is west of the Brazos, but it's certainly not in West Texas.
UTExan
Lampasas used to have a sign I've mentioned before: "Gateway to West Texas".
I still like Texas historian Walter Prescott Webb's definition of the 98th Meridian being the dividing line.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Prescott_Webb
UTExan
Okay, WT board, what say you apropos of the eclipse path: is Eagle Pass considered to be West Texas or not?
No fudging about to say it is south Texas.
EMc77
AG
Looks like Eagle Pass is right at the 100th Meridian, so other than being STX, it is just on the eastern edge of west Texas!
fuzzyfan
AG
Abilene south to Del Rio. Abilene to Lubbock. Pecos to Marathon.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG

The Permian Basin in Texas shows 90% of what I would call West Texas.
Add big Brewster county in the south, and maybe take 2 rows of the counties at the top
KoolHandLuke
AG
As mentioned above, 277 would be a solid East -West Boundary that would end up with Northern boundary in San Angelo, and then making a line straight over to Midland/Odessa and on to NM. I'm pretty sure most folks would accept that. But then again you always have the people who argue that Lubbock is West Texas, and it damn sure isn't. Of course I'm from West of The Pecos, so I think anything on the other side of the river is questionable.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
fuzzyfan said:

Abilene south to Del Rio. Abilene to Lubbock. Pecos to Marathon.
Anything north of Snyder and Lamesa and Seminole is The Plains. I do consider Abilene to be the furthest point east of West Texas.
AgsWin2011
AG
I'm from Abilene and always considered it to be west Texas. But ever since then I graduated high school I kept moving east, so it's still west Texas to me. Just the start of it.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.