Am I overthinking my need for AWD?

3,832 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Yesterday
AgAttack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks for these, very helpful!

tk for tu juan said:

Starting at 4 min mark

Tires matter:

ghollow
AG
AWD is never a bad thing. not only does it help in snow/ice conditions but it also improves your cars traction in rain storms as well.
So the greatest civilization is one where all citizens are equally armed and can only be persuaded, never forced. It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.
ChoppinDs40
AG
As my dad always says, you typically don't need 4WD that often… but when you do, you really, really need it.
bobinator
AG
Just want to add that we're a Kia Carnival family too and absolutely love it. If that's the one that checks all your boxes and nothing else is close and she's going to be driving it every day I wouldn't opt out of it for one trip a year, even if that means you're spending more to rent an AWD car for that trip.
MouthBQ98
AG
I think I'll be in the minivan market later this year. Any reason for the Carnival?

I realize there are 4 choices:
Pacifica, Sienna, carnival, odyssey.

Right now based on specs and such, the Sienna has my attention most. Really good economy, AWD option. The problem appears to be availability. I'm months out yet from really looking, but I'm getting ready to go hunting for a 4th quarter closing type deal.
drumboy
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

I think I'll be in the minivan market later this year. Any reason for the Carnival?

I realize there are 4 choices:
Pacifica, Sienna, carnival, odyssey.

Right now based on specs and such, the Sienna has my attention most. Really good economy, AWD option. The problem appears to be availability. I'm months out yet from really looking, but I'm getting ready to go hunting for a 4th quarter closing type deal.

I think there's a looooong waitlist for the Sienna so good luck.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
chet98
AG
Actually skied Wolf Creek this past spring break and stayed in Pagosa Springs. We drove up and back for three days in my FWD Honda Pilot and it was pretty nasty conditions. The FWD did fine but my personal pucker factor was pretty high. I might have loosened the sphincter some had I had AWD but in reality the FWD got us up and back sans any chains. Used chains the year before in Taos coming back to the town of Taos from the ski resort but may have been overreacting. Last year was the first time I'd ever driven in snow at all!
Ornithopter
AG
I love in South Dakota. We get lots of snow. There are three things you need:

1) AWD/4WD - there is no substitute. Yes, FWD is better than RWD but it's not the same as having four tires helping you.
2) Good tires. Aggressive tread is fine for a Jeep or pickup, you don't need snow tires then. I'm not sure what I'd do with a minivan though. Probably sell it and get an SUV.
3) Use your brain and realize that the extra time it takes to go places is worth it. This is the most important one IMO, because without it 1) and 2) don't matter. Drive slow in bad conditions, give a ton of space between you and the next guy, brake super early, etc.

There is also a big difference between driving on fresh snow, packed snow, and ice. But caution is the best thing in all cases
MouthBQ98
AG
I'm the type that would wait. Seems really stupid on the part of a Toyota to not produce what is in demand.
bobinator
AG
I liked the Carnival and the Sienna the best. One issue some folks had with the Siennas was that it was a little hard to get a car seat into the third row because of the middle seat/door placement.

But we were also looking in 2022 which was a super not ideal time to be shopping. The Siennas were practically impossible to find and were more expensive than the Carnivals. The Carnivals weren't easy to find, I ended up emailing/calling like every Kia dealership within like 200 miles of College Station to see if they had any come in that weren't already claimed. Finally got one in Tyler, I had talked to the guy a few weeks prior and he called and said if we could get there the next day we could have one that came in.

We got the EX trim level, and we've loved it since we've had it. Really like how you can configure/take out the middle row seats, the technology works well, just a good comfortable ride.
Yesterday
AG
I'm glad we had 4x4 on our last ski trip.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.