Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

BJJ

121,498 Views | 1129 Replies | Last: 21 hrs ago by texasaggie2015
OaklandAg06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggieChemE09
AG
Anyone else going to the Kent State game(Sept 4th, 7pm)? We could all go to the Brazos Valley MMA Open Mat before the game(10am)...
The Dirty Sock
Not a bad idea but probably too big a span of the day for me since I'm coming from Austin.
Sweep4-2
That'd be fun. I wasn't planning on going to the game, but I don't mind driving up from Houston to train at an open mat if there's enough folks planning on going.
94chem
Sweep4-2 said:

That'd be fun. I wasn't planning on going to the game, but I don't mind driving up from Houston to train at an open mat if there's enough folks planning on going.

Sweep, unrelated topic...

When you were training for the mile, what were you running your 400 splits in, how many, and what were you doing between intervals? I'm running 6x85 seconds after a mile warmup, and walking a lap between the 400's.

I've also done 10x95 with standing rest between, and 5x800 at 3:20.

Mile is at 6:27 right now, but I think there's at least 10 seconds of heat-related time to drop, and another 2-3 seconds on race day...but I'm just feeling that my speed work has to get more frequent and faster...like I was advising you, lol.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
2girlsdad
On the drive from Houston to Colorado, I listened to the Rickson Gracie/Rogan podcast where he talked about how to breathe properly. Boy did that help with this morning's roll! I almost tapped because I couldn't breathe but I just got to a safe position to get a few deep breaths in and fully out. If I could train up here for a few months I'd be a stud back at my home gym!
Sweep4-2
Hey 94chem, that's cool that you're training for a speed mile! Are you looking to get below 6:00?

The workout your doing is similar to what I did (and the times are similar too). The only difference is the shortest I went is 200m. But generally 3-4x per week I'd run either 200/400 sets or run 600/800 sets. Sometimes I'd 'cascade' them (800 first, 600, 400, 200) or reverse cascade (200 to 800). Generally was just trying to get in about 3200m of speed per training session. For 200's and 400's I'd run one, walk one, etc.

Our starting mile times are in the same neighborhood, and I was able to pull almost 20 seconds off the mile between starting training and the actual 'race'. I"m not sure if it was the training, or whether it was pride and having a good pacer who could leave me in the dust....haha. But I went from about 6:30 at start of training to 6:09 at the track on race day.

I've thought about making another run at the 6:00 mile when it's a bit cooler, but will see.
94chem
Okay, thanks. I ran 6:20 last fall right in the middle of marathon training with no speed work. Since March I've been focused on a 22 minute 5K and a 6 minute mile. My mile trial is 6:27, and my 5K is 23:30. But I'm usually running a 10K the day before, and as you know, it's hot out there. So I must be under 6:20, but I don't know how close I really am until I can run one in cool weather - same goes for the 5K.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Sweep4-2
I think I'll aim at mid-November to try another attempt at the mile. Trying to get ready for a 5k in November (St. Arnold Art Car IPA 5k) and will be doing some speed work leading up to it.

We should set a date and both give it a try. I'm sure not getting any younger!!

Oh, and to keep this BJJ related, has anyone seen Craig Jones recent B-Team BJJ commercials? They guys a BJJ genius and hilarious!
A_Gang_Ag_06
AG
Was awarded my brown belt on Saturday and got to meet a legend on Sunday. Talk about a great BJJ weekend.

The Dirty Sock
Congrats
Sweep4-2
Very cool, congrats!!

O.G.
Congrats on the brown belt. Royler Gracie was at my gym this past weekend but I missed it, had to be out of town.
Sweep4-2
That would have been a cool seminar, definitely one of the big, old school greats.

Years ago (back in her competitive prime) Kyra Gracie came to our school to teach a seminar. The week before the seminar my instructor kept reminding everyone that she was there to teach, and NOT to hear cheesy pickup lines from students.
AggieChemE09
AG
Anyone else competing at Jiu-Jitsu World League on Saturday?

Looks like I have an 8 man division at 168lbs Blue Belt
shaynew1
AG
I always forget about this thread.

Did anyone else make it to NAGA this weekend?

I weighed in at 199.3 (for the first time in a long time). I got taken down a bunch and manhandled a little, but had a really good time.

I'd like to put a couple on the calendar for 2022 to stay motivated with training. Some of my techniques were definitely indicted.

When's the next big one you guys are planning for?
Sweep4-2
That's cool that ya' had a good time and hit a good weight. I haven't competed in a long time, but it's definitely a rush.

Now I just settle for being a training partner for our young purple/brown belts when they're getting ready for tournaments (which is rough on me).

So what kind of stuff are you working on for your next tournament (practice wise)?
shaynew1
AG
Standing grip fighting and sprawling.

No gi I got double legged all three matches, but won with a kimura, lost on points, won on points. I was pretty jazzed on adrenaline and don't remember many details except how weak I felt. It went fast. Wish I had those on film. I felt a little cheap in the third match being up a point and just holding on for dear life the last 15 seconds. I could hear his coach yelling about how smoked I was and he was right. I lost out on back mount points for instinctively going to body triangle instead of hooks and lost the position in hesitation trying to swap back.

I was a little more settled in the gi. First round bye. Got a takedown, some points, and an arm lock in my first match. Second match I didn't feel good standing after a couple trades and bailed. Pulled into quarter guard, so probably need to work on that too. Got a sweep and armbar. I think seeing both of those on film helped me a bunch.

It feels like a lot more miles on the body than just a big saturday open mat. I'm looking forward to getting back in the gym when I'm caught up on work after this week.

Sweep4-2
Sounds like a great experience and a good time overall! I know what you mean about how competition is tougher than open mat.....definitely a blur of an experience and more mileage on the body in a short time.

Do you have any legit Judo guys to train with? I used to occasionally train with a Judo BB and Olympic team member (alternate for a European country) and the stuff he showed in just a couple different classes made a huge difference over what BJJ guys had to offer.

I've been trying to overcome a pesky groin injury, which limits pretty much everything I do in BJJ. Sucks, but I'd rather be injured and rolling than healthy and sitting at home I guess.

shaynew1
AG
We don't have any judo guys at that level. They do have a stand up and competition geared class at night, but I mostly go at lunch and help my wife chase little wild indian babies in the evening.
Sweep4-2
Yeah, we don't generally have that level of Judo around often, but it is fun when it occasionally happens. It's also a little scary to try and stand for very long.

One of the things I've started doing at competition training is just training takedowns. Start standing and go full speed, and as soon as somebody lands a takedown, back on our feet and back at it.

A 7 minute round feels like an eternity. But it's super conditioning and takes away the option of guard pull, stalling once on the ground, etc.

AggieChemE09
AG
I was given 3 stripes this week on my Blue Belt. Definitely have some imposter syndrome feelings now.

20 months into this BJJ journey and I seem to be closing in on Purple.
Sweep4-2
Congrats! Not far from purple belt now. Sounds like you're going great stuff on the mats to get three stripes on blue all at once.

For me, every belt promo I got felt undeserved. But everybody I know who stays with the sport a long time says the same trying.

O.G.
Got my second stripe on my white belt yesterday. The blue and purple belts in my gym are amazing at helping to learn and pick this stuff up.
Sweep4-2
Congrats! That's a good sign when the blues/purples help new folks out. Makes training way more fun and helps everybody get better.

How are you liking BJJ so far?
O.G.
Sweep4-2 said:

Congrats! That's a good sign when the blues/purples help new folks out. Makes training way more fun and helps everybody get better.

How are you liking BJJ so far?
Love it...have a few years of striking under my belt (Muay Thai) but didn't have any grappling. BJJ is difficult but I love it. I go at least 3 times a week and try for 4.
Sweep4-2
Good deal. Yeah, it's definitely a little frustrating/confusing at times. But also a ton of fun, especially once ya' start to develop a real game plan for your BJJ style.

I've been rolling for a long time but the sport continues to evolve, change,etc which makes it fun.

O.G.
Thought I would add this if any of you are interested. It was founded by a friend of a friend. Don't know him personally but my buddy does and vouches for him. I've donated to the cause. Money goes to pay for cops to take BJJ up to Blue Belt.

https://adoptacopbjj.org/
FancyKetchup14
AG
I got my blue belt this month. When my instructor called my name I pointed at myself like an idiot and said incredulously, "me?" I told him I didn't think I was ready, but he said it was his decision and that it was time.

Now I'm the easy blue belt roll lol
O.G.
Went to BJJ 5 times this week. I'll explain.

Mon & Tue were "regular" classes. Then we had a huge snow storm (I'm currently working out of state that gets a lot of snow/cold weather) My instructor posted that he was going to hold class regardless of the weather so I put my truck in 4wd and off I went. Turns out, I was the only one that showed up. So, it was like getting a private lesson.

He was actually good enough to cover a lot of details that get missed when there are 20+ people in the class.

Thursday night, same thing, only there was one other person that showed up. Female.
We did drills etc, same as if it were a "regular" class. Then, at the end of it, he put another stripe on my belt. My 3rd. (white belt) as well as hers.

I skipped Friday because there was no evening class, then went Saturday morning to open mat. Did some drills with some purple belts then sparred.

This is the cool part & I can't post this on FB because I'm friends with them.....But.....
There are two, much younger, guys in the class that I've rolled with multiple times but I've NEVER beaten. They are a hell of a lot younger than I am, one is 18, the other is 20 or so, I'll be 50 this year. One is pretty strong, the other is fairly advanced as a white belt, does a lot of private lessons etc........and I tapped both of them. Stuff from the lessons this past week just "clicked" and it worked.

This is an amazing journey.
Sweep4-2
Anytime you can make 5 BJJ classes in a week that's a good week! You mentioned that things just 'clicked'...what kind of techniques were y'all working? Just curious, always fun when things are clicking.

I had a similar week (in terms of number of classes), had some highs and lows. High is just being back on the mat after having nagging injuries. But the low was getting torn up rolling nogi with one of our purple belt competitors (a 21 year old Brazilian kid). Lost track of the number of times I tapped....hurt my neck and my pride a little haha.

But I'll be back on the mats tomorrow in (in a gi anyway). It is a fun journey.
O.G.
Sweep4-2 said:

Anytime you can make 5 BJJ classes in a week that's a good week! You mentioned that things just 'clicked'...what kind of techniques were y'all working? Just curious, always fun when things are clicking.

I had a similar week (in terms of number of classes), had some highs and lows. High is just being back on the mat after having nagging injuries. But the low was getting torn up rolling nogi with one of our purple belt competitors (a 21 year old Brazilian kid). Lost track of the number of times I tapped....hurt my neck and my pride a little haha.

But I'll be back on the mats tomorrow in (in a gi anyway). It is a fun journey.
A lot of passing guard, correctly applying pressure at the right time/place. Some of it was really simple stuff like which preference people have for open guard etc. A good bit of foot work too, as far as moving my legs/body to apply pressure when I have someone in side control.

Nothing too advanced/crazy, but it stuff that get glazed over when class is full or you're rolling with other white belts. Having a black belt go step by step with you, one on one, was huge.
The Dirty Sock
Privates with instructors are worth their weight in gold. They're pretty expensive if you need one scheduled but sometimes you split that price with a buddy (depending on the instructor).

Glad things are working out for you.
Sweep4-2
After getting destroyed last week in nogi, put the gi back on today and was back in my preferred habitat.

Ended up doing King of the Mat format (sweep/submit from the bottom, score from top) for about 25 minutes nonstop which gets rough. Been working on some new sweep combinations so was nice to feel progress.
Apache
AG
Haven't checked in on this thread in a while.
Our school has started offering a wrestling class once a week with an emphasis on takedowns... it has really helped my standup game. I got an ankle pick on a Judo guy that used to give me fits standing... such a wonderful thing to put him on his butt. Highly recommend taking a class or two, it will really give you an edge on those that neglect that part of their game.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.