Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Getting more serious about cycling

35,854 Views | 366 Replies | Last: 29 days ago by hbc07
Nitro Power
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgLiving06 said:

I have to worry about the inventory because I haven't been able to find one!
What had to do was continually check. Supposedly they were going to send me an update when they came in stock but that never happened. I check every other day for months. If you aren't in a huge hurry I would wait. I had another ride, to get me by.
Nitro Power
AG
AgLiving06 said:

If your bike is the CF 7 with upgrades, probably somewhere between that and the CF SLX in a medium.
This is my ride, but it's black on black

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bikes/race-bikes/ultimate/cf-slx/ultimate-cf-slx-9-di2/3322.html?dwvar_3322_pv_rahmenfarbe=R100_P02

If you get a canyon are you sure you are a medium. They fit different than most other bikes. I have a small, and my first bike was 56 cm Trek.
AgLiving06
Nitro Power said:

AgLiving06 said:

If your bike is the CF 7 with upgrades, probably somewhere between that and the CF SLX in a medium.

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bikes/race-bikes/ultimate/cf-slx/ultimate-cf-slx-9-di2/3322.html?dwvar_3322_pv_rahmenfarbe=R100_P02

If you get a canyon are you sure you are a medium. They fit different than most other bikes. I have a small, and my first bike was 56 cm Trek.

I'm solely going off putting my details onto their website and it suggesting a bike size. I
Ragoo
AG
AgLiving06 said:

Nitro Power said:

AgLiving06 said:

I'm solely going off putting my details onto their website and it suggesting a bike size. I
I did the same and a medium was the result and seems to fit me well. I am 6' with a 34 in seam.
AgLiving06
Yeah..I'm 5'10 and 32.

There were some bikes that had me in a small, but it seems like on the newer ones, it's been medium
AgLiving06
Ok. I went and double checked.

In the Canyon CF I'm a medium
In the Canyon CF SLX I'm a small
FIDO95
AG
Great story I figured I'd share here:

Never dealt with any kind of addiction myself. However, I recognized long ago that my mood is overall better when I'm pushing myself towards a goal. Getting out and pedaling for a couple hours and pushing through doubt and discomfort is incredibly therapeutic for me.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ragoo
AG
Lionel Sanders has a similar substance abuse to world class athlete story.
FIDO95
AG
I'm not familiar with his story. I'll have to check it out. I love these kinds of stories.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
RangerRick9211
AG
Ragoo said:

AgLiving06 said:

Nitro Power said:

AgLiving06 said:

I did the same and a medium was the result and seems to fit me well. I am 6' with a 34 in seam.
You can always compare actual geos: https://bikeinsights.com/compare?geometries=627a5aa5a5a028001d40b4a9,60e72daf449f7e001c4c4976,. Sizing labels are company specific.

But, if helpful for Canyon:

I love my Canyon's and I've never had an issue with a bike shop wrenching on a direct to consumer brand. However, I only take it in for one-offs: shock refresh, BBs, etc.
AgLiving06
I reached out Shama in Houston about doing a bike fit.

I got word at work that I was going to get a pretty significant reward for some work I did, which moves up the timeline for buying my bike!
AgLiving06
Got fitted for bikes yesterday.

I chatted with Philip Shama for a while about different bikes.

Interesting thing was based on this initial fit, he moved me up a size in bikes. We talked a bit about Canyon, and he said the biggest problem he sees with them is that people typically come in with undersized bikes, trying to improve the fit.

I have it down to an Argon18 E119 or QR X-PR as a build up from the frame. X-PR is a little cheaper, but the Argon18 does look better.

Per him, I fit best in the Argon18, but he could make a 54 or 56 QR fit if I wanted that.

Ragoo
AG
Awesome
Ragoo
AG
Question for the crowd. How much do you focus on raw power output versus a w/kg? And also, what is the best way to build leg strength along with the endurance?

I am sitting 195-205 FTP and have been there for a year or so.
AgLiving06
I'm aware of what my w/kg are, but I don't focus on it. Mainly because I know the biggest impact I'll have on them is dropping weight. I've dropped 6 kg over the past 2 months which boosted my calc.

I do spend a ton of time on Peloton and doing PZ training, which has had a huge impacts on my FTP.

I know what my Peloton FTP is (296 watts), but very curious what a true power meter says given Peloton can be off somewhat significantly in either direction.
TurboVelo
AG
Ragoo said:

Question for the crowd. How much do you focus on raw power output versus a w/kg? And also, what is the best way to build leg strength along with the endurance?

I am sitting 195-205 FTP and have been there for a year or so.
For Texas and most places, pure power is the important number. w/kg is importanter if you live in Colorado or somewhere with a lot of sustained climbs. This is why world tour riders are so skinny, but crit racers tend to be bigger.

3'-8' intervals are very effective at increasing FTP
AgLiving06
From my time on PZ with Wilpers, he likes to say 3 things:

1. You need lots of z2/z3 to build your foundation and push your FTP up.
2. You need some time at z4 or essentially FTP to learn to sustain so you can go longer.
3. You need some time at z5 and above or 105%+ of your FTP to pull your power up.

So my ride tomorrow will be 2x10 min at ~90% of FTP and then 5 minutes at FTP in between.

hbc07
AG
6 rides in to my recovery tour as of yesterday (not counting trainer rides). Last weekend was a back to back of 40 and 50mi which pushed my limits quite a bit. Still have a lot of strength and stamina to recover, but am happy with where I'm at all things considered.

Just to give myself a goal and something to look forward to (and also to make up for my ****ty summer), I've committed to a 10 day trip w/ Trek Travel across the Pyrenees next August. I'm looking forward to it, but I'm also a bit nervous...
AgLiving06
I just sent the email to Shama on an Argon 18 e119 build he is going to do! One step closer to doing triathlons.
Ragoo
AG
AgLiving06 said:

I just sent the email to Shama on an Argon 18 e119 build he is going to do! One step closer to doing triathlons.
everyone knows the progression is mountain bike, road bike, road bike with aero bars, TT bike
TurboVelo
AG
Ragoo said:

AgLiving06 said:

everyone knows the progression is mountain bike, road bike, road bike with aero bars, TT bike
True enlightenment is reached when you have a Track TT Bike.
AgLiving06
Ragoo said:

AgLiving06 said:

I mean…I have had all of those bikes in my lifetime…
Ragoo
AG
AgLiving06 said:

Ragoo said:

AgLiving06 said:

your triathlon journey isnt humbled until you've done one on a mtb and you have lessor athletes passing you because you are at a significant equipment disadvantage
AgLiving06
Ragoo said:

AgLiving06 said:

Ragoo said:

AgLiving06 said:

your triathlon journey isnt humbled until you've done one on a mtb and you have lessor athletes passing you because you are at a significant equipment disadvantage

I do have my parents cruiser bike in the garage with tubes that popped the first time I rode it...Guess I could do my first olympic on that! haha

htxag09
AG
I went straight to a used road bike then to a TT bike…..

Am probably going to sell my road bike and get a gravel bike, though.

And for humbling….nothing more humbling then being on a tri bike and someone on a mountain bike passing you…..
AgLiving06
htxag09 said:

I went straight to a used road bike then to a TT bike…..

Am probably going to sell my road bike and get a gravel bike, though.

And for humbling….nothing more humbling then being on a tri bike and someone on a mountain bike passing you…..

Yeah...I think it makes sense, in Houston to have a tri-bike for triathlons and then a gravel for other riding. They've stepped the game up on gravel so much, it's pretty solid, and it probably handles the Houston roads better anyways...with the ability to bail into the grass when necessary.
htxag09
AG
Yep. Add in having a 3 year old and all that comes along with that. Easier to cruise the neighborhood, do a bike trailer or carrier, etc.

We recently moved from rice military to oak forest. Everyone on our street did a bike ride to look at Halloween decorations, our son rode in the bike trailer with our neighbor and their son. My wife and I had road bikes, would have been much more enjoyable on something else.
AgLiving06
Ok. Bike ordered and just put some money down on a Garmin Tacx Neo 2T.

All in on the transition to tri now
Ragoo
AG
AgLiving06 said:

awesome

There are two other sports though!
Ragoo
AG
AgLiving06 said:

hope you saw this

https://www.amazon.com/Tacx-Neo-Smart-Color-Size/dp/B07W6QTHM9?crid=FPQFP4522Q4B&keywords=tacx+neo+2t&qid=1699904434&sprefix=tacx+neo+2t,aps,205&sr=8-3&linkCode=sl1&tag=dcr07-20&linkId=028f82eac5e5f6348b722ccdb03e3791&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl
AgLiving06
Ragoo said:

AgLiving06 said:

awesome

There are two other sports though!

Running is cheaper.

Added shoes + Stryd Pod and I'm getting good hours in now (3-5 hrs/week right now).

Swimming is the one sport I haven't started on, but I don't plan on getting the Form goggles or anything, so just need to get a membership to a pool and get going with it.

AgLiving06
Ragoo said:

AgLiving06 said:

hope you saw this

https://www.amazon.com/Tacx-Neo-Smart-Color-Size/dp/B07W6QTHM9?crid=FPQFP4522Q4B&keywords=tacx+neo+2t&qid=1699904434&sprefix=tacx+neo+2t,aps,205&sr=8-3&linkCode=sl1&tag=dcr07-20&linkId=028f82eac5e5f6348b722ccdb03e3791&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl

I did. Downside is my bike is SRAM Force AXS, so I had to pay up an additional $120 for the XD/XDR free wheel. Seems like a rip off to be honest, but what are you gonna do?

I went back and for between this and the Kickr Core, but the newer tech and supposed better ride feel made the most sense to me.

Once I dump my Peloton, I'll hopefully recover most of the cost of the trainer.
RangerRick9211
AG
What are the new features and road feel on a Neo?

Wahoo keeps replacing my Core (3rd over 22k virtual miles) regardless of the warranty. So I haven't really kept up with the latest. I'd like to eventually go with a dedicated smart bike as my Madone is that for me now and a complete waste of a bike.

Sorta road feel, more mechanical feel, I've rocked yoga hedgehogs for a while now in-lieu-of rocker plates. It helps the ride feel more real and more forgiving on anything 2+ hours.

hbc07
AG
Ramp test on SYSTM last weekend. I hadn't actually tested since last January so this was more of a check in to see how I was doing on my recovery from the accident. My estimate of my FTP immediately prior to the accident was 265-270w.

Jan 23:
FTP: 245W 3.18w/kg
MAP: 298W 3.87w/kg

Last weekend:
FTP: 236W 3.26w/kg
MAP: 287W 3.96w/kg

I'm down 10 pounds from the Jan 23 test. Overall I'm happy with where I'm at all things considered; obviously I'd wish the ftp was higher, but after 3 months off the bike and 2-3 months of limited activity... it could be worse.

I'm about to start signing up for races. Northwest Arkansas Classic is calling my name. There are two in DFW earlier but I don't know if I'll be happy with where I am for them (not that I really have any delusions of grandeur of my performance in them). Considering avoiding crits just to try to limit my risk and stay healthy for my August trip to the Pyrenees.
Ragoo
AG
Awesome good job. IMO, your w/kg is higher so don't worry so much about the power number because n a vacuum. You should be faster with those lbs off and doing similar power.

I am still not very strong cycling. I ride what feels like a lot of miles. I am more aware to do more climbing for strength but doesn't convert to massive gains in power. Very slow build.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.