Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Horsecollar breaks leg?

4,433 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 15 yr ago by vic99
Sublette County
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It wasn't a malicious tackle, but that's a very unfortunate injury.
Win At Life
AG
Did he walk off the field with a broken leg? I don't remember any carts?
Whistling For Flies
Very few of the horsecollar tackles are malicious. They weren't even illegal for like a 100 years.

To "sit down and have a talk with Von" over this would be beyond stupid.

Sorry the kid broke his leg. Things happen in football, but there was nothing dirty about that play.
Rex Racer
AG
quote:
Classy
Your team just won the biggest game in your school's history. Go enjoy it instead of worrying about what is being posted on TexAgs.
Ragoo
AG
von must be really strong, he tackled that guy with one hand...
RAB87
AG
How about Tceh's PF for spearing JJ right before the half last week. Nobody said much about that, but JJ was tentative the rest of the game.
ght
AG
It's Division I football! It's the Big 12! It ain't intramurals!
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
ESPN reported the facts as they happened. They didn't editorialize.

I didn't see the play. It's unfortunate, but I'm sure there was no malice. Even so, you have to be accountable for your play, so I'm glad the illegal tackle received a penalty and I hope some major teaching follows it this week. It's against the rules this year, end of story.

But again, I certainly give the benefit of the doubt the Von did not do anything with malice. It's very unfortunate.
DR95
Yankees -the idea of sitting Von is just stupid.

Let's keep football full contact, shall we?

If you played football,you've injured in some way shape or form. You just know that's part of it. Otherwise, play tennis.
dcAg
Didnt you guys see the transcript of the interview with Von Miller after the game?

Interviewer: Did you know that the running back that you tackled from behind broke his leg?

Von Miller: No I didnt. But that is what I was trying to do. I was sick of chasing that little dude all over the field.
Zobel
AG
I'm still not sure how he broke his leg. Was it a true fracture or something like a hairline?

As far as I remember he walked off? I don't even remember an injury timeout.

Poor guy, that's an unfortunate injury.
fogleman
Sorry about the unfortunate injury by Stewart and I wish him a speedy recovery. Purpose injury by Miller-NO! Let's not make this more than it is....a football injury. The game is physical and injuries happen but I don't think players want to see opposing players injured.
scott_baker
Props to him for walking off the field with a broken leg... Maybe he didn't realize how bad it was at the time.
Squilliam Fancyson
AG
I for one thought the ticker was over the top. How often do you see "injured by a horse collar tackle by so-and-so." And it scrolled numerous times.

Why is it called "horse" collar anyway?
Angry
AG
quote:
Was it against the rules? Yes. Is grabbing someone by the arm against the rules? No.

It is if the person doing the grabbing is on offense. So if Kevin Matthews grabbed a DL and his arm popped off, would it be considered "dirty" because it was a 10-yard holding penalty?

TexAgsQuarterback
Horse Collar > TD. Its a violent game at this level. Its an inherent risk. The game is regulated by pansies.
Ag_EE_88
AG
quote:
quote:Was it against the rules? Yes. Is grabbing someone by the arm against the rules? No.

It is if the person doing the grabbing is on offense. So if Kevin Matthews grabbed a DL and his arm popped off, would it be considered "dirty" because it was a 10-yard holding penalty?

I think some of you need to distinguish the difference between AGAINST THE RULES and DIRTY. Something can be against the rules and not 'dirty'.

Did any article that you read indicate that Von's tackle was 'dirty'?

LT's tackle against Theisman was neither 'dirty' or against the rules. That is a football injury. When an injury occurs as a result of a penalty, then many will see that as being 'dirty'. I have not seen it in the media ANYWHERE that said it was a malicious tackle.

IT WAS AGAINST THE RULES!
aggieclassof17
I don't remember anything about someone breaking a leg at the game....and I was there! I thought the guy got up and walked off the field...maybe with a little help, but maybe I just didn't see what was going on.
Visarkad
No one on here said the play was dirty, only ones defending that the play was not dirty. How do you defend what was never accused (rhetorical)? I guess this is TexAgs.

The HC is a "dangerous" form of tackling and needs to be eliminated from the game. Players need to change their technique for tackling and try never to use this method. It cause unnecessary and severe injuries most of the time. That is the reason for the rule being in place.

Stop it with the "it's football, it happens" comments. The rule is in place for the same reason the facemask, leg-whip, block in the back, chop block, and spearing rules are on the books. Some of these happen more often than other, but the hope is that they will not be used because they are dangerous techniques.
Picadillo

[This message has been edited by Picadillo (edited 11/2/2008 1:51p).]
Codeno
AG
That picture pretty much explains it all.

It was not a dirty plat at all, but definitely illegal. You are dense if you don't see that.
MickeyThePikey
AG
You guys are dumb!

/End of thread/
Rocky Rider
AG
AP and writers in CO (Denver & Boulder papers) are reporting the leg was broken due to a horse collar tackle. It happens. It wasn't on purpose, just like a lot of face mask penalties are not on purpose.
Zobel
AG
Looks to me like the broken leg was had less to do with where Von Miller's hand was and more to do with where his legs were.
OLAG63
AG
"I hope Coach sits Von down to understand that he should never tackle by the collar and i hope he's learned his lesson"

Have you ever played the game? Football is and always has been a physical game. I am sure that Miller did not intend to break the other kid's leg. Sometimes things happen so fast that you do not have time to think about it. By the way limbs get broken in pileups -- should we ban those too.

I remember once when I was tackling a 260 lb fullback (I did not even weigh 200 lbs at the time) after the tackle I was holding his helmet in my hand and of course was flagged for a blantant face mask & 15 yd penalty. I assure you I had no intention to do that and in fact do not even remember how I wound up doing it (obviously I certainly could not have denied having done it since the evidence was pretty indisputable what with me holding said helmet in my hand. As for the horsecollar tackle by Miller, I am sure that he was just trying to make a tackle from behind and was simply trying to grab the guy period. No way as a coach I would make an issue of that play.

While I am certainly not opposed to the face mask penalty, I think that the horse collar rule is no more dangerous than the clothsline tackle. Where do you draw the line? It has reached the point where you can barely touch the QB, you can't do this & you can't do that. At the rate we are going we will soon be playing flag football or two below. And no, I am not proposing teaching techniques to intentionally injur anyone, but good grief it is physical game. We have reached the point that we are penalizing 300 lb lineman going at near full speed because they can't stop when they are just one step from the QB as he releases the ball on a pass attempt. There are way too many roughing calls determining the outcome of games. At the rate we are going football will be a less contact sport than basketball.

[This message has been edited by OLAG63 (edited 11/2/2008 2:40p).]
Token
AG
quote:
"I hope Coach sits Von down to understand that he should never tackle by the collar and i hope he's learned his lesson"
READ MY DAMN POST. I NEVER TOLD HIM TO SIT VON FOR A GAME. I WANTED HIM TO SIT AND TALK WITH HIM. HOW HARD IS THAT TO UNDERSTAND???

/TORBUSH
vic99
AG
I stand by my original statement. No malice...hope he heals well...violent sport.

I assure you in that moment if Von Miller takes the time to think, "Let's see, I could stop him but I might get a flag? Hmm...what should I"....GONE, TOUCHDOWN CU!

Thinking is done pre-snap. Instinct, reflex, and reaction are post snap.

Von, you did your job. Send the kid well wishes, sign his facebook, I don't care. Just beat the hell outta OU!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.