Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Rice Scouting Report

11,851 Views | 140 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by aggie_2001_2005
Bose Ikard
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thanks for the writeup!

I know Rice is pretty good this year, but I'm still convinced that the Ags will win by 3 or 4 TDs, at least. You HAVE to stop our run, and it doesn't sound like Rice can do that. To win, Rice will have to be able to win a shootout. La Tech gave us a competitive shootout last year, but we were severely short handed that game, and I don't think Rice's offense will be able to do to us what La Tech did. We'll see.

Hope you have a good time if you're able to make the game!
norton99
AG
I think this will be a good early test of our defense.
I expect A&M to go up early. It will be interesting to see if we give up some yards and points in the second half.
Papa Joe
AG
I think Sam Houston will be a closer game than Rice, but who knows?

That is why they have to play the game!
reb,
AG
Appreciate the OP.

Hoping for no injuries on either team and a great season for both squads.

Ags roll the Owls, Rice collects their paycheck, everyone is happy.
zephyr88
AG
Now THAT was thorough... Remind me, why isn't the Mob coming?
Gordo14
I appreciate your thoughts OP and this is probably Rice's most talented team... I'm sure...

But just remember what Sumlin has done to Rice in the past with Case Keenum. Now imagine a much (can't emphasize this enough) more talented team at every position playing you guys. I don't think you will be able to stop our offense.

We only punted 3 times against Bama, I can't imagine how Rice can accomplish anything near that and keep up with us scoring wise in any way... I think we have a much better and balanced offense going into this season than last year.

Also, we are much better than UCLA. I don't think it's a good comparison at all.

Anyways, good luck, and I look forward to comparing y'all to SMU later in the year. Hopefully you guys can win C-USA this year.
TxAginAz
AG
Owl, what do you mean your team is not being taken seriously? Don't worry because your team is going to take a serious asswhoopin' by KHDS.
The Last Cobra Commander
AG
Driphus???? Reminds me of
Saggetariutt

http://www.youtube.com/embed/gODZzSOelss?autoplay=1
AgGermany
AG
Op, thanks for the perspective.

There will be a lot of anger from our team... We have business to take care of, you're first...

btw I'm still pissed about 1980...
Fred8881
AG
quote:

Posts like this and the ignorance that clouds CStat are the reason why many smart hometown kids choose Rice of A&M. Looking forward to the game Saturday but not to encountering many fans like the ones on these forums.

Slippery slope?
reb,
AG
quote:
quote:
Rice has a four ft tall RB....

... And you forget to mention that his IQ is about 30 points higher than yours (and I may be underestimating). And that he is a harder worker than you will ever be. And that he is on a D1 team while earning a degree from the best university in Texas...

Posts like this and the ignorance that clouds CStat are the reason why many smart hometown kids choose Rice of A&M. Looking forward to the game Saturday but not to encountering many fans like the ones on these forums.

oh, honey...
Speedystooth
AG
Dnfr: JFF gon go azz2mouth all day son.
Barnett91
That's it... I've seen to much. If we lose, somehow on gods green earth, to rice... I WILL VIDEO THE POOP SLAP!!!!!!! That's right I said it.
ElectricT
Great write up!

This year I'm going to go to a RIce home game for the first time because I always wanted to and y'all have a beergarden now.

Aggies 48
Rice 13
PA24
AG
Seriously, over before half time
Citizen Reign
Nice write up OP. It's feeling like football season again.

Rice has a chance to put up some points against a lot of youth on the Ag front seven. I could see 28 or 31 for the Owls. Sam and LaTech were able to last year and the Ags had some experience on the field, all though a first year system.

This Rice team will have a better O than Sam but Sam actually has a pretty nasty defense. They showed up at Kyle last year and played fast and a little dirty. Rice vs Sam would be a nice matchup. I'd pick Sam by 3 based on a very well coached D that just love to hit and hit hard.

As for the Rice D, your guys are going to get pounded on every single series. Johnny will play for a half and lead the team to 40 points.

Enter Hill, who will move the ball but look for RJS, Tre, and Trey to have a field day in the second half. Sounds like B Williams will not play. Summy calls of the dogs in the middle of the 4th.
Gordo14
quote:
... And you forget to mention that his IQ is about 30 points higher than yours (and I may be underestimating). And that he is a harder worker than you will ever be. And that he is on a D1 team while earning a degree from the best university in Texas...

Ya, ok bud.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
quote:
CStat

This CStat you speak of. Is that anywhere near College Station?

Juan Fuqua
They're small, but they're slow..
JohnnytoMike
The people who are saying Rice is small just haven't done their homework. The slowness point probably stands, but size? uh, no.

Rice LT: 6'7, 300
A&M LT: 6'5, 300

Rice LG: 6'3, 275 (backup is 6'8, 325...will play)
A&M LG: 6'4, 320

Rice C: 6'4, 300
A&M C: 6'3, 280

Rice RG: 6'5, 275
A&M RG: 6'5, 320

Rice RT: 6'3, 275 (backup is 6'7, 300)
A&M RT: 6'5, 300

not much difference

[This message has been edited by Wheredidmypantsgo (edited 8/25/2013 8:49a).]
theJonatron
AG
Did not read.

Our men will destroy your boys with prejudice.

The end.
sportfan73
6'3 275 RT is pretty tiny, but I agree Rice has better pieces than your average non-Rice fan would think.

I watched the bowl game on Youtube a few weeks back, Rice is playing well and they might have fallen into something with the new QB.

[This message has been edited by sportfan73 (edited 8/25/2013 10:21a).]
Deputy Travis Junior
Thanks for the write up OP. good to learn a little bit about the team we'll be playing this Saturday.

I expect your offense will move the ball in spurts and score some points (my guess is 14-28 depending on how we adjust our defensive play calling+strategy and when the starters come out). We've got a lot of inexperienced players who'll see time and they're gonna make some mistakes or fall for tricks that y'all's older, more seasoned players make.

Our offense versus your defense is going to be a massacre. An NFL scout recently said that we've got 3 1-2 round picks on our OL, we've got a godly stable of RBs, and a huge, athletic receiving corps. If that's not bad enough, we've got a coach who is going to put the petal to the metal for 3 quarters and a Heisman-winning QB who is pissed off after an offseason of media harassment. I'd be mildly surprised if we score less than 60. That said, when all is said and done, I expect this offense will end up being one of the best in NCAA history, so don't take it too hard

[This message has been edited by Deputy Travis Junior (edited 8/25/2013 4:31p).]
proudaggie02
AG
Pants,

285 average per starting OL is pretty damn small.
W
AG
2 of Rice's defensive starters are out. One LB due to injury and one (preseason all-conference) DB due to suspension
Jorge_Magnanimo
I personally think A&M's team crested last year and there will be some regression to the mean this year for Johnny. He won't play as well as last year because he doesn't have the receiving targets he had last year, and he doesn't have the O-line he had last year. This, coupled with the loss of some very talented players to the pros, and a full year for SEC coordinators to figure out A&M's offense, will lead to a very average year.
P.U.T.U
AG
^^^^^^^^
Huh?
Space91
AG
If the Aggies take Rice too lightly it could be a close game, but if they come ready to play I think the Owls get in trouble early.

My instincts are telling me the Aggies will want to try and impress early and will come at Rice pretty hard.
John_Galt
Did OP and WhereDidMyPantsGo actually attend Rice?

OP comes to the board of a Top 10 team and starts this nonsense about Top 10 team better what this, that and the other thing, then proceeds to say he doesn't like all the "noise" on the board. Really Owl? Are you serious, Clark?

Then this lost pants guy shows like 50 lbs weight differences at most of the line positions and says "look not much difference"! Also pantless dude, the Aggie OL won't be matched up against the Owl OL. That isn't how football is played. Aggie OL will be smashing the Owl DL.

Stick to bezball, Hooters. Y'all are pretty good there.

[This message has been edited by john_galt (edited 8/26/2013 11:12p).]
Ol Whats his Face
AG
quote:

how much for your kicker?
jdls13
AG
Holy crap at some of the arrogance in this thread. I thought that was a pretty good read actually. Nice to know who to look for when we play them.
sshm
AG
quote:
This is solid. Remember how many total yards Arky had vs. us? They came fairly close to equaling our total for the game yet they only ended up with 10 total points.
I've always maintained that total yardage is the dumbest stat that anyone bothers writing down because it doesn't take into account the variable length of games in terms of posessions and plays ran.

That said, we still out gained them by 200 yards..... That isn't exactly close no matter how you want to look at it.
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:
I personally think A&M's team crested last year and there will be some regression to the mean this year for Johnny. He won't play as well as last year because he doesn't have the receiving targets he had last year, and he doesn't have the O-line he had last year. This, coupled with the loss of some very talented players to the pros, and a full year for SEC coordinators to figure out A&M's offense, will lead to a very average year.

So much fail here...
Picadillo
Nice post. Thank you for the information.
JohnnytoMike
did you know that A&M vs. Rice is one of the Onion's "lesser-known college football rivalries"? dated, but still good for a laugh

http://www.theonion.com/articles/lesserknown-college-football-rivalries,8245/

"Texas A&M vs Rice: These Texas schools hate each other on principle, with A&M touting its tradition of football excellence and Rice its tradition of teaching people how to formulate complex thoughts and express them in complete sentences."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.