Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Best QB room ever?

11,198 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 20 days ago by RARay
maroongoon95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wiegman, Henderson, and Reed I believe has to be the best QB room in the history of Aggie football. The only other one I could think of is perhaps Jerrod and Tanehill..... perhaps Johnny and Showers? Bucky, Pavlas, Pullig in the 80's? What y'all think!
ChrisHansen
AG
I know it's the offseason. But comments like this at anytime are just dumb imo. Who really cares? Only one can play except for an injury, and if the O line lets a qb get hurt again we won't be winning much anyway.
maroongoon95
AG
It's called an off season thread idiot
Reno Hightower
What is the career win/loss record of that group? How many bowl games have they won? Any post-season honors for any of them?

They have a decent amount of POTENTIAL upside, but have proven nothing to this point.
StinkyPinky
AG
Reno beat me to it. The potential is there, but not the body of work to qualify such a statement. Henderson only has three full games to his credit and Reed a handful of drives. Tap the breaks. But I'm sure all Aggies hope that you are correct.
Maroon Flash
AG
Overall by far the best since 2013. We are 3 deep. I know everybody doesn't like it that Kyler left, but his old man really slung it for the Aggies.
aeon-ag
maroongoon95 said:

Wiegman, Henderson, and Reed I believe has to be the best QB room in the history of Aggie football. The only other one I could think of is perhaps Jerrod and Tanehill..... perhaps Johnny and Showers? Bucky, Pavlas, Pullig in the 80's? What y'all think!
Ok, I'll bite. It was stupid to sacrifice Tanehill for Jerrod, he was a deer in the headlights like Mond. Showers? who was he? Pavlas was a great high school quarterback playing against high school kids but couldn't handle the pressure playing among the big boys. Pulling was slow! BTW-There was no one with as much killer instinct than Bucky!!
There, you have my take.
BudFox7
Lol current QB room has barely put together a winning season and has mostly gotten thrashed.

Try again
SinKiller
Easy, not even close.
Know Your Enemy
AG
maroongoon95 said:

It's called an off season thread idiot

The lack of a comma makes this the perfect reply.
Phoenix1
****ycup & midget have both put in multiple NFL seasons if we're talking pure talent. Of course that combo proved to be pretty toxic for us.
Gunny456
AG
Damn guys…. The OP has his own opinion and he stated it. But he asked for other thoughts. Why slam him so bad? This is a forum for discussion after all. Not cutting folks down.
Meximan
Gunny456 said:

Damn guys…. The OP has his own opinion and he stated it. But he asked for other thoughts. Why slam him so bad? This is a forum for discussion after all. Not cutting folks down.
Welcome to the zoo
90ags
Think a silly topic and question as based on 'what' context? Yes, like the 'potential' of the QB room today, but what have the really done?

Are we talking about 'star rankings' or games won or conference championships or bowl wins or what? This group hasn't done anything yet IMO.

One can go back in time and see QB rooms that maybe we never say 2nd or 3rd string play much, but who knows as some did go to the NFL to play.

The '98 team had Brandon Stewart, Vance Smith, Randy McGown, Chip Ambres (yes, on the roster, but never appeared), Matt Schobel (who I think ended up being a TE, right?). Is this a better squad cuz they won big 12?

Mid-80s with Murray/Stump won a lot of games (watched many...beat Auburn in Cotton Bowl).

2005 and maybe 2004 had Reggie McNeal, McCoy an McGee (McNeal and McGee did win some big games).

2007 had Johnson, McGee and Tannehill (but don't think he may have been a full QB switch yet).

Anyways, it's about context and perspective, but while the group today seems like it has potential, let's win something of significance to help define them.
______________________________________________________ Play for the name on the front of your jersey, not the back...
Rectitude
AG
ChrisHansen said:

I know it's the offseason. But comments like this at anytime are just dumb imo. Who really cares? Only one can play except for an injury, and if the O line lets a qb get hurt again we won't be winning much anyway.
Why the pushback?
The Collective
AG
2002 - Farris, Long, McNeal
The Marksman
AG
Dude we had two NFL QBs in Kyler Murray and Kyle Allen at the same time. I love our current QB room but this isn't even close to that.
B-1 83
AG
Gunny456 said:

There are multiple posters in The Zoo, F16, and the GB who seem to wake up each morning to a big heaping bowl of Count Dickula cereal.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
12thMan9
AG
Bucky, Pavlas, Pullig in the 80's?

Anybody want to tell him?
Ronnie '88
orag80
AG
Agree that some of the responses are really uncool. Would you give the same response if you were sitting around in person? Show some consideration and class.

My take -
Kyler and Kyle Allen - the most potential wasted
Current QB room - the most potential that I hope we don't waste
AGDAD14
Potential…. yes, thanks to Jimbo and Petrino.
Just Tired
maroongoon95 said:

Best QB room ever?

had jff in it.
12mn95
AG
We said the same thing when we had Haynes, Max and freshman Weigman. And I think last year too with Weigman and Max and Henderson
NoahAg
JFF + anyone = best ever
soleta27
Love him, but honestly Weigman hasn't done anything of note yet. Now when you're talking about a program that has had a Heisman winner and multiple pros, this topic is a huge stretch
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
ChrisHansen said:

Ummm....I'm pretty sure that's why position depth matters.

Why do people come onto a football forum to complain about football talk?
greg.w.h
AG
If the goal is to delusionally raise expectations then, yes, this is our best QB room EVUH!!!!!
Ol Rock
AG
It's interesting how young people have so little observation of historical context. (Btw, I think this is common.

Other quality QB rooms:
2010 - Ryan Tannehill (NFL), Jerrod Johnson (NFL bound before shoulder injury)
2011 - Ryan Tannehill (NFL), Johnny Manziel (GOAT)
2012 - Johnny Football (Heisman, NFL), who cares who else was in the room, also Jameill Showers
2015 - Kyle Allen (NFL), Kyler Murray (Heisman, NFL)
2002 - Reggie McNeal, Dustin Long, Jason Carter (if you weren't here for Reggie McNeal you won't understand.)

Other potential QB rooms that I know little about.
Gary Kubiak
Kevin Murray

The Agly Duckling
ChrisHansen said:

I know it's the offseason. But comments like this at anytime are just dumb imo. Who really cares?
I do. We've used backups as starters for the last eleventy zillion seasons and all three of these guys are really, really talented. It's important.
ChrisHansen
AG
Aggie
AG
Reno Hightower said:

What is the career win/loss record of that group? How many bowl games have they won? Any post-season honors for any of them?

They have a decent amount of POTENTIAL upside, but have proven nothing to this point.

Unfortunately that's the basis of A&M football.. hopes / expectations and potential…. Not reality
JoeAggie5
As much as we all probably hate to admit it, it was probably the QB room that included Kyle Allen, Kyler Murray, and whoever else (that's probably more hindsight and what they've done after they left). I haven't bothered to research it, but other than Sumlin screwed that up, now that time has passed does anyone factually know what happened that led to them both leaving the program within days of each other?

Actual in the moment I would think some combination of Farris and McNeal or Tannehill and Johnson combined may have had very near the tops stats compared to other QB rooms.
StinkyPinky
AG
I can't believe no one has mentioned Pullig yet!

(I kid, I kid)
austinag1997
AG
Better question is which QB room was most mismsnaged? Should be an easy answer.
terata
AG
Whatever your opinion of the OP's post is, at least it wasn't one of wallowing in the past as so many others do.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.