Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Notre Dame at Texas A&M Spring Talk

25,352 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by USAF9705
Ag in ATL
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thank you for your service.
Southlake
We're gonna yank the towels right off your belts…
cc10106
Maroon Flash said:

Surprised Notre Dame signed up to come play at Kyle. The playing surface is roughly 10 feet below grade level and is going to be hot as hades even if the game is at night.

Won't be surprised if this is a 2:30 pm game.
I would've been disappointed in A&M for playing them at a neutral site. No need to help their recruiting in Texas even more.
USAF9705
Thank you for the kind words.
It was my honor to to so.

I love visiting Texas. Have family in Frisco. They work with a lot of A&M grads.
USAF9705
Thank you very much.
USAF9705
It's a home & home series.

A&M plays at Notre Dame next season, September 13th, 2025, South Bend.
cc10106
That's right. Brain farted, thanks.
USAF9705
With all the new TV contracts, the networks control when the game is played.

I read an article about it, but can't remember the details, but basically ABC/ESPN, Fox, NBC, CBS have new contracts this season & each week they rotate who has rights to what games & times if multiple networks are involved with a game (like Fox & NBC both having B1G games this year).

So depending on who has the rights to the game, you will have sat in the kickoff time.

There are 3-4 big games on that Saturday.
Georgia vs Clemson will be night.
Miami vs Florida
PSU vs WVU
ND vs A&M
USAF9705
That's awesome.
I recognize where you are standing.
The Agly Duckling
For us, I have many concerns because of the new coaching staff and systems . . . a lot of newness. They seem good and competent, but it's all going to be new for all of our players. How good can we get by Game 1?

Many presume Weigman will be the starter at QB, but Henderson and Reed are extremely talented, so I would not be surprised by anything there. All three dudes are capable of great things; the talent is definitely there, so we'll see about development.

I don't have a feel for how the squad is jelling yet with a lot of new faces.

Last year's talent composites were A&M at #4 with 926.2, and ND at #11 with 870.70, not that far apart. I expect ND will be a little higher this year with the #9 class rated at 275.57, 23 commits averaging 91.46. We were #19 with 17 commits averaging 91.43, and adding 245.18 total points, so the additions to each team via their signing classes seem almost equitalented, but with ND getting 6 more players than we did. The changeover in coaching is usually tough on that first, changeover, class, of course.

I expect our talent in this composite to go down a little bit numerically from last year, but everybody I talk to seems to think we could be much better and more consistent on the field with the coaching changes.

At this moment I favor you guys in the game, but there's a lot that will go on with both programs through the Spring and Fall.

Yes, our O-line was not good last year, but, as has been mentioned, the coaching seemed to not bring about the capability in the unit that their talent strongly suggested that they should achieve, so we'll see.

Super excited to be starting out against such a great opponent, but our coaching change circumstances, while necessary, were not ideal in their timing.

You may be interested that Elko mentioned in a presser that he communicated to the team that while we're in Year 1 of a new coach and new culture, Notre Dame has had three years of Marcus Freeman already, so we must work quickly and thoroughly to have the success we desire.
Maroon Flash
AG
It will be a game of man on man and who can endure that heat and perform at a high level for an entire 60 minutes.

No slight to Notre Dame but the extreme heat at Kyle is an edge for us. They can simulate noise in practice but not the heat. Even as a fan, some of the hottest I have ever been in my life was sitting in the stands at Kyle.
Hey Nav
AG
Welcome to TexAgs.

As mentioned earlier, Premium is the forum for you - they are serious over there.

Aim High - go Air Force.
greg.w.h
AG
At least we won't lose to Arkansas State…
USAF9705
I grew up in Indy & my first months in Texas was May through September. It wasn't that big of a deal to me.
100 degrees and 90% humidity is the same. The biggest difference is in Indiana it would only be that for August into September, but in Texas it was a lot longer.
But during ND's camp they will be in high 90's to low 100's. And they are all young, healthy athletes, who most of which are originally from the south anyways.

When ND played at Texas a few years back it was over 100 & both teams ran up & down the field scoring into the 40's & the players said they didn't notice the heat difference.

If ND players were spending a month in Texas coming from cold Indiana weather, that would probably bother them, but being young, healthy men training in 90-100 degree weather for a month will be enough to get them through 3 hours.

I look at it like I wouldn't want to run a marathon in Texas right now, but running a mile wouldn't be a big deal.
LincolnBorglum79
AG
You probably already know this but the President of Texas A&M spent a few years in the Air Force as well.
Rectitude
AG
USAF, thank you for checking in and posting such an informative chat. It seems from your comments that ND may be in for a great year. At the same time we have high hopes for the Ags. There are so many unknowns on our side that it makes it both fun and interesting to follow each small bit of information which we can get.

......about 4 1/2 months to go.
The Agly Duckling
greg.w.h said:

At least we won't lose to Arkansas State…
True, but it could be potentially worse:

If we lose to Arkansas, and State.
The Agly Duckling
USAF9705 said:

I grew up in Indy & my first months in Texas was May through September. It wasn't that big of a deal to me.
100 degrees and 90% humidity is the same. The biggest difference is in Indiana it would only be that for August into September, but in Texas it was a lot longer.
But during ND's camp they will be in high 90's to low 100's. And they are all young, healthy athletes, who most of which are originally from the south anyways.

When ND played at Texas a few years back it was over 100 & both teams ran up & down the field scoring into the 40's & the players said they didn't notice the heat difference.

If ND players were spending a month in Texas coming from cold Indiana weather, that would probably bother them, but being young, healthy men training in 90-100 degree weather for a month will be enough to get them through 3 hours.

I look at it like I wouldn't want to run a marathon in Texas right now, but running a mile wouldn't be a big deal.
I concur. If one team is just better than the other, I don't think the heat will make a difference.

If, going into the game, we Aggies are reliant upon "the heat" to help us win, that's not a good sign for the home team.
USAF9705
LOL, he spent more than a few.

From A10 pilot to CIA to Joint Chiefs.

He had himself a career.
USAF9705
I will say I'm actually a bit worried about the OL.
Usually the best position group at ND, they had a kid leave for the NFL a year early & his spot at RT has been a problem this spring. ND has a top 50 kid & a former 5 Star battling at the position, but neither have impressed so far.
montanagriz
S
DimebagsGhost said:

What size shoes do you wear?

You can post in premium, longhorn and lsu fans have accounts. Nothing but money required for access

I think oline will be very good this year. Depth, talent, experience, plus good coaching now should yield great results
USAF9705
It's only spring, but ND seems to be settling in at a few positions that were open.

Drayk Bowen is getting the reps at Mike LB.
(Kiser the Senior Captain is at Will LB).

Then Sneed, the former 5 Star LB who is kind of a "tweener" which has made it difficult to get on the field is slotted in at the Rover position for the third LB.

Oben (transfer from Duke) & Bohtelo are at the two DEs.
(Mills & Cross back at DT).

Other Safety next to Watts seems to be Shuler now, but the transfer Clark is coming in the summer.

The opposite CB from Morrison is Gray.

The OL, from Left to Right is Jagusah, Coogan, Craig, Shrauth, Baker. (Same that started the Bowl game).

The open practice next Saturday is a scrimmage, so we will get to see if that is still how they are lined up.
montanagriz
S
Coaches mixing and matching so much nobody knows where they stand except for a few positions
BTHOB-98
USAF9705 said:

I will say I'm actually a bit worried about the OL.
Usually the best position group at ND, they had a kid leave for the NFL a year early & his spot at RT has been a problem this spring. ND has a top 50 kid & a former 5 Star battling at the position, but neither have impressed so far.

I feel like the this could be our saving grace. We should have a pretty solid defensive line. We have some experience here and we are moving to a 42-5. The last few years we gave up more on the ground with only a 3 man front. Should be an interesting battle.

SW AG80
AG
I was at the game in South Bend when we played them there in 2020. It is the hottest game I have ever attended.

ND is used to hot weather. And humidity too.
USAF9705
The A&M scrimmage is tomorrow?
But it's closed?

I wonder how much gets leaked out to the Insiders?
USAF9705
When people ask me how I think ND does this year, I tell them to ask me the 2nd Q of the A&M game, because I need to see the OL.
If ND had its normal OL, (usually top 2-3 in the nation), I would say it's a playoff team for sure. But with this OL inexperience, it's a mystery.
AgCat93
AG
It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the Ags win by more than 10 points.

Elko will have them ready to play.
USAF9705
ND actually has had success against Elko in his career. Never lost to an Elko Head coached or Assistant coached team.
But the biggest surprise to me is actually Elko hiring Jay Bateman. If I'm an Aggie fan I pray Elko runs the defense not Bateman. I have seen Bateman DC against ND multiple times in person and he gave up almost 40ppg in those games.
The Aggie fan on here who was at the UNC vs ND game in South Bend in 2021 saw ND score 44 against Bateman.
Elko is a way better defensive coach. I bet Elko calls the defense & Bateman just position coaches.
USAF9705
ND had their live scrimmage today.
It was open to media.

I will go through all the notes & put up a review of it in a little bit.

One thing that won't play a role in the opener (most likely), is that true freshman QB CJ Carr is really, really good & there is a very good chance he is the starter next year when A&M comes to South Bend.
Tanker123
What is absolutely interesting is Notre Dame is ranked around #5 but Vegas thinks the A&M will improve enough to beat them although the spread is only around 2 points. I will bet on ranked teams when this season starts, but I will not touch this game. I hope Vegas is right.
greg.w.h
AG
Tanker123 said:

What is absolutely interesting is Notre Dame is ranked around #5 but Vegas thinks the A&M will improve enough to beat them although the spread is only around 2 points. I will bet on ranked teams when this season starts, but I will not touch this game. I hope Vegas is right.
Follow my thought process…why are rankings published? I'd argue it's always been a form of trolling even before Usenet invented trolling…and panders to the schools with the presumed biggest audiences…
Craigy
Tanker123 said:

Vegas doesn't think A&M will beat Notre Dame. They are setting the line to make money
USAF9705
This is exactly right.
Vegas sets the line on bets rolling in.
With A&M being favored now, money will roll in on ND, then the line will flip. Then money will roll in on A&M.

Tanker123
Craigy said:

Tanker123 said:

Vegas doesn't think A&M will beat Notre Dame. They are setting the line to make money
Please explain to the uninitiated.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.