Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Ohio State reportedly spent 34 million for next seasons team

10,163 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 22 days ago by Lake08
45-70Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Let's say this is true or the actual number is really close. This can't be something that can be sustained long term, right?
General Jack D. Ripper
Ask yourself whether your interest in Aggie football has gone up or down since NIL started.

I have been a rabid Aggie fan ever since my first game as a freshman. I thought college football was the greatest sport. However, my interest has waned considerably since NIL. New stories like this will only accelerate my disinterest. So, no it's not sustainable.
wangus12
AG
As long as a school as dumb donors who think giving tons of money to teenagers is a smart idea, it'll continue to happen.

I do think if the portal stays the way it currently is, donors will get somewhat tired of throwing money at kids only for them to transfer after 1 season and will stop giving as much as they are.
Haleyscomet50
First team to go all in on recruits and transfers. If they win it all this year it will change the game forever. If they flame out and don't win it all maybe it will pump the breaks on spending. Spending big on next years class as well so will see.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Is that SlicedBreadmaking **** up again?
The Banned
Never saw a number but ole Miss supposedly spent a truck load too
Animal
AG
"Ohio State Reportedly Spent Over $34 Million To Piece Together This Group Of Players And Coaches For This Season"

Not sure what coaches they hired this year but I'm sure that's a big part of this number...
TexasLeaguer
AG
This is unimpressive. Why doesn't tOSU hold our beer, we spent like $75M to fire a guy.
OrygunAg
AG
They spent most of that on Bluto and his staff
TJaggie14
AG
Animal said:

"Ohio State Reportedly Spent Over $34 Million To Piece Together This Group Of Players And Coaches For This Season"

Not sure what coaches they hired this year but I'm sure that's a big part of this number...

They got Chip Kelly to be the OC.
NyAggie
AG
wangus12 said:

As long as a school as dumb donors who think giving tons of money to teenagers is a smart idea, it'll continue to happen.

I do think if the portal stays the way it currently is, donors will get somewhat tired of throwing money at kids only for them to transfer after 1 season and will stop giving as much as they are.
here's the thing: people may be getting fed up with it, but are you going to be the first group of donoers to pull back and then suffer through ****ty seasons while everyone else is grabbing players and kicking your ass?

then, if more schools hold back, there will be those who say, great, now I can get all the best players and suddenly those players will cost less because there are less schools competing for them.

we can keep saying it isn't sustainable, but in the end no one's fanbase wants to be the one that has a ****ty football program while all their rivals are kicking ass.

that's why there has to be a concerted effort to form another governing boby or make some type of collective move that completely changes things for everyone.

Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Joining the Steven Seagal hairclub for men was never going to be cheap.
AggieZUUL
AG
OrygunAg said:

They spent most of that on Bluto and his staff
spot on!

VP at Pierce and Pierce
Coaching salaries made up around $15 million so payroll is roughly $19 million for players. Sounds about right. A role player that gets spot starts depending on opponent is bringing in around $150k at a school like A&M. The big name guys and the QB are bringing in $1 million or $2 million each. The other starters are bringing in $200-$500k. The rest of the roster making $100k. People want to scoff at these numbers but go talk to these collectives you will find out that these players are stacking cash.
AggieZUUL
AG
why does NIL have to stop at the college level? Let's see this through to Pop Warner ball!

If NIL is going to stay, the money needs to be deferred until after they GRADUATE with a degree.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
AggieZUUL said:

why does NIL have to stop at the college level? Let's see this through to Pop Warner ball!

If NIL is going to stay, the money needs to be deferred until after they GRADUATE with a degree.
There are laws preventing NIL for high school ball. Regarding deferment, it is the wild west right now. At some point very soon some rails will be put in place to either cap spending or make a portion of the money accessible upon graduation or declaring for the draft. NIL and the portal will get reigned in some capacity.
rljtamu
AG
AggieZUUL said:

Dads of standout junior high players have received "job offers" to move towns since the 1970s, maybe longer. NIL just makes it legal. That said, NIL, portal, etc. need to be somehow regulated.
greg.w.h
AG
AggieZUUL said:

So the NCAA needs to lose more 9-0 Supreme Court decisions, you say???
greg.w.h
AG
rljtamu said:

AggieZUUL said:

Dads of standout junior high players have received "job offers" to move towns since the 1970s, maybe longer. NIL just makes it legal. That said, NIL, portal, etc. need to be somehow regulated.
There are two visible means of regulation:

1. Congress passes a law and Biden signs it opposing player union organization in an election year.

2. The NLRB allows Dartmouth to organize forcing some form of Charlie Baker's proposal forward that includes an explicit Collective Bargaining Agreement negotiated with some set of current players and likely reconfirmed with present athlete votes periodically (every 2-4 years.)

Neither seems likely…
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Haleyscomet50 said:

First team to go all in on recruits and transfers. If they win it all this year it will change the game forever. If they flame out and don't win it all maybe it will pump the breaks on spending. Spending big on next years class as well so will see.

Brakes
Logos Stick
General Jack D. Ripper said:

Ask yourself whether your interest in Aggie football has gone up or down since NIL started.

I have been a rabid Aggie fan ever since my first game as a freshman. I thought college football was the greatest sport. However, my interest has waned considerably since NIL. New stories like this will only accelerate my disinterest. So, no it's not sustainable.

We have no connection like we did. The connection was because they were our fellow students/Aggies. They didn't come to A&M for money. They came because they liked something about the university: people representing us (staff), our commitment to excellence on the field, culture, history, campus., whatever... That's gone with NIL. I'll still watch because of the A&M logo on the helmet, but its not the same anymore.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Pfffft. We spent $300 million on just the freshmen back in 2022, or so we were told.
#FJB
LMCane
Haleyscomet50 said:

hopefully Georgia beats them in the title game.

Teams I hate: Ohio State, Notre Dame, Florida, Florida State
AggieRain
AG

Honestly, this is the reason I dropped my stars after a decade and quit following the day-to-day of Aggie football. It wasn't worth the time and investment anymore. Looch and Co. put out a great product. It just wasn't for me due to the portal and NIL.
ccolley68
AG
I think this NIL will be more short lived than many think. And I think because there is just no payoff to it. People like to compare it to pro athletes getting endorsements and things like that, so why shouldn't these kids, but it's a totally different thing. I think it may have initially been intended to be like that, but has morphed into something far from the original idea.

Let's look at the endorsement side of things for pros, because I think this was where the heart of NIL was meant to be. How many pro athletes have endorsements? Especially football players since you don't know their faces behind the helmets, and their gear they are wearing isn't daily use type of stuff. It's not nearly as many as you may think. Some players transcend the facemask, especially for local market businesses being able to use them, but it's not EVERY player on the team. Basketball and golf can make the endorsement things work better because basketball is selling the shoes, and the shoes the basketball players wear in game are the same ones kids wear to school. Golf, many people buy the clubs and other gear associated with a player, even though 99% of the time the pros clubs are so custom and modified they bear no resemblance to what you are buying at Dick's. But also their clothes. How many men wear basically gold attire to the office on a regular basis?

Back to football endorsements. There are a few bigger than the game type players, like Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Travis Kelce, Patrick Mahomes, etc, with big endorsement deals. But if I am the business paying for their endorsement, I expect a return on that endorsement. If Tom Brady is paid 6 figures to eat my company's potato chips and say how good they are, but I don't see a marked improvement in the sales of my chips, I am not going to continue to pay Tom Brady to eat my chips. Maybe I find someone else to pay, or maybe I decide that athlete endorsement wasn't a viable strategy for my product. BUT, I am not paying Tom Brady just to be on my hometown team. That is what NIL has become. Collectives are putting up money just for the kids to be on the team. With no repercussions if they do or don't end up playing, and it's not tied to my business in most cases, so I am not getting any return on that endorsement investment. That's the part of NIL that I think will ultimately do it in sooner rather than later.

People who have millions of extra dollars lying around to put into NIL collectives didn't get to a position to have all those extra millions by being stupid with their money. Putting it into buying a college football team is stupid. Now it's still new and fun, so there is a decent sized pool to get money from. And I think it's substantially more prevalent at A&M for a couple of reasons. One of those being we have a huge school, with a huge alumni base, with a lot of wealthy alums, and we have no hardware to speak of in football for nearly 100 years. Our wealthy alums are hungry for a winner, and are willing to do what it takes to buy that winner. Seeing the same thing with Ole Miss right now, they are all in for a winner right now. But if it doesn't pan out, and 3-4 years down the road, I've dumped millions into this thing, my business hasn't benefitted at all like if I would have put that money into JJ Watt single a jingle on the radio about my Ford dealership, AND we haven't built/bought a winner, I'm not going to keep giving, at least to the level I was. And for the schools that already have been winners, are their fans and rich alums hungry enough for a winner they will pony up? Or for the smaller schools with not so rich alums? Maybe somewhere like Alabama or USC, with their winning traditions will have years where their alums want to get it back to where it was and will kick in more than normal, but will it be long term or sustainable? Or just a short term, tired of being beaten by Auburn or UCLA so we kick it up a notch to get one back on them?

Ultimately, I think it is just the return on the money spent. There may not be a price tag to some donors on the glory of a championship, and they will keep spending until it happens, but I think those are few and far between.

Now, if NIL does get some rules around it, or it shifts more towards being business endorsements where I can get something back for the money I'm putting up, which like I said is what I think it was supposed to be, then maybe it will survive. But with so many major universities in small(er) towns and communities, how many businesses in those places can afford to keep up? Much of the wealthy Aggie alums aren't in consumer businesses, they are energy folks. Are you going to get more business for your oil field services contractor operation because there is a billboard in Houston with Connor Weigman on it beside your logo? You might even lose some business. One advantage the pros have is it is tied to the city, or the state. Aggies, horns, owls, cougars all can get behind a Texans player supporting someone's business. But universities divide within the cities, not everyone in Houston is an Aggie or a horn, so it wouldn't be as effective.

I don't know how they could do it without college ball becoming some kind of mini pro league with agents and CBA's and unions, but that seems like the only logical direction, because then this stuff can be out in the open and contractually based. Remineration based on performance, years of service, results, etc. Leave for somewhere else and you owe us buyouts. Things of that nature. I would hate to see it get there. As another poster above mentioned, this current trajectory I think is causing interest to wane in the sport. I think it's still too new to get a good metric, but 5 years from now, who knows.

I tend to think I am a sports target demographic. I'm a 40 something, married with children, college graduate, with a little extra discretionary income available. Since childhood, I have loved college football. Much more than NFL. I love my team and my school, I love hearing the bands in the background, the school rivalries, all that kind of stuff. But as all of this has gone on, my outlook on the sport has soured significantly. I used to be a get up at 7am Saturday, put it on GameDay, watch all the way up to kickoffs, watch any and all interesting games all day, regardless of when the Aggies played, all the way up through the PAC after dark games late Saturday night. Now, I will still put on GameDay, but not religiously, and mostly just for background noise while the family gets up and about and we get our day going. And I don't watch all the games. Very few in fact. Mostly, I just watch the Aggie game, nothing before or after. I just don't have any interest anymore. I liked knowing the players, and seeing them progress up through the years. I liked when they would introduce the players in the beginning and it would show what their hometown was. Maybe it was the same as mine, or a neighboring town, or rival, or whatever. Now, it may be some kid from Trenton, NJ who I've never heard of because he is a junior who just transferred to A&M via Maryland for $1M who has no ties to anything and won't be on the team next year. That's not any fun. If I want that, I'll just watch the NFL.

That's just my $0.02, now I'll hop off my soapbox.
07ag
AG

nil i don't care about,,, its the instant transfer ruining it, imo

understand it from the kids' perspective, needing to do what is best for them,, but it still sucks
https://ts.la/eric59704
Ags77
AG
Remember when the reports came out saying how much we spent on a recruiting class?
milinirv
AG
Regardless of rules that might be put into place, somebody will cheat to gain a competitive edge.

I wonder how much of what we see has always been there (except for the free transfers which is adding super-fuel to the fire)?
rgag12
AG
Michigan just won a natty, I'm not surprised the OSU coffers are filling up.
Drum5343
AG
AggieZUUL said:

Why?
ccolley68
AG
Drum5343 said:

AggieZUUL said:

Why?

I think something like this is probably best, at least to uphold the integrity of the college game. But there needs to be a few additional layers to it. First, NFL needs to lower it age for draft eligibility. Let kids coming out of high school go straight to the NFL. That way the people who think like Drum and say they should get their money immediately, here's your option. Coming out of high school, there are two possible routes. If you think you can make the jump straight to the NFL and start making money, go for it. But if you choose to go the college route, you have to be a student, go to classes, pass those classes, and at least attempt to earn a degree. Maybe a little % bonus if you do graduate. If you choose to leave to go NFL after your 3rd year as it is now, IF you get drafted, you can access the money as if you graduated, just without the graduate bonus. If you come to school and don't graduate, no money. It's a calculated risk coming out of high school. If you value the opportunity of an education and the slim chance of an NFL career after college, you can go that route and get a nice lump sum once you graduate. You know going into it you don't get the money until then. If you want the money now, like a big boy, you can take your chances in the NFL. No free education and all the value that comes with it. The rewards can be greater if it works and you become a star and a millionaire, but the risks are equally high where you could end up with nothing.

Maybe to give the kids in college a little break and a little pocket money, let them withdraw 5% or 10% of the account or something of that nature.
rootube
AG
ccolley68 said:

Drum5343 said:

AggieZUUL said:

Why?

I think something like this is probably best, at least to uphold the integrity of the college game. But there needs to be a few additional layers to it. First, NFL needs to lower it age for draft eligibility. Let kids coming out of high school go straight to the NFL. That way the people who think like Drum and say they should get their money immediately, here's your option. Coming out of high school, there are two possible routes. If you think you can make the jump straight to the NFL and start making money, go for it. But if you choose to go the college route, you have to be a student, go to classes, pass those classes, and at least attempt to earn a degree. Maybe a little % bonus if you do graduate. If you choose to leave to go NFL after your 3rd year as it is now, IF you get drafted, you can access the money as if you graduated, just without the graduate bonus. If you come to school and don't graduate, no money. It's a calculated risk coming out of high school. If you value the opportunity of an education and the slim chance of an NFL career after college, you can go that route and get a nice lump sum once you graduate. You know going into it you don't get the money until then. If you want the money now, like a big boy, you can take your chances in the NFL. No free education and all the value that comes with it. The rewards can be greater if it works and you become a star and a millionaire, but the risks are equally high where you could end up with nothing.

Maybe to give the kids in college a little break and a little pocket money, let them withdraw 5% or 10% of the account or something of that nature.

Everything after "uphold the integrity of the college game" was hard to read because of the laughter. How familiar are you with the history of college football pre NIL/transfer portal.

Elite college football players are worth a LOT of money. The sooner you understand that fact the better.
B-1 83
AG
How do all these portal transfers impact the academic careers of the student athletes? They're bound to lose some credit hours and slow down their path to a college degree.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
e=mc2
AG
TexasLeaguer said:

This is unimpressive. Why doesn't tOSU hold our beer, we spent like $75M to fire a guy.

Now that is a flex!
e=mc2
AG
LMCane said:

Haleyscomet50 said:

hopefully Georgia beats them in the title game.

Teams I hate: Ohio State, Notre Dame, Florida, Florida State

Hopefully we beat them in the title game!
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.