Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Ohio State reportedly spent 34 million for next seasons team

10,168 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 22 days ago by Lake08
VP at Pierce and Pierce
How long do you want to ignore this user?
rootube said:

Neat. This is what the rest of college football felt like when they were rooting for us to fail after our '22 signing class. Here's hoping the OSU season goes up in flames this year.
Except the media will spin this as "the new cost of doing business and winning in college football" and most articles and talking heads will support them.
"College football is at its best when (insert big names that gets every call and is a media darling) is really good"
AgDotCom
VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

AgDotCom said:

greg.w.h said:

It was always ridiculous. You're just seeing it exposed finally so you have your incredulity punctured.
No it wasn't. Do you think half the players today would show up if Bonfire fell when they won't even show up for their bowl game?
This is such an absurd take. Guy's sit out of a pointless bowl to prevent an injury that could cost them millions upon millions of dollars. Sure, I wish they would play but I understand its their livelihood on the line and not wanting to lose out on generational wealth. Most players choose A&M or whatever university for the right reasons, they want to be here and they damn sure would show up to bonfire. Stop using the outliers of Evan Stewart and Walter Nolen to play "whoa is me."
Mississippi State was pummeled by freaking Texas Tech in their Liberty Bowl matchup when 16 MSU players opted out. The same MSU that beat our ass at Kyle two months earlier. You really wanna tell me that 16 MSU players were even going to be drafted, much less lose millions?

How many scholarship players did A&M have in last year's bowl? 55?

Yeah, there's an absurd take in this thread alright, but it ain't the one you're thinking of.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
AgDotCom said:

VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

AgDotCom said:

greg.w.h said:

It was always ridiculous. You're just seeing it exposed finally so you have your incredulity punctured.
No it wasn't. Do you think half the players today would show up if Bonfire fell when they won't even show up for their bowl game?
This is such an absurd take. Guy's sit out of a pointless bowl to prevent an injury that could cost them millions upon millions of dollars. Sure, I wish they would play but I understand its their livelihood on the line and not wanting to lose out on generational wealth. Most players choose A&M or whatever university for the right reasons, they want to be here and they damn sure would show up to bonfire. Stop using the outliers of Evan Stewart and Walter Nolen to play "whoa is me."
Mississippi State was pummeled by freaking Texas Tech in their Liberty Bowl matchup when 16 MSU players opted out. The same MSU that beat our ass at Kyle two months earlier. You really wanna tell me that 16 MSU players were even going to be drafted, much less lose millions?

How many scholarship players did A&M have in last year's bowl? 55?

Yeah, there's an absurd take in this thread alright, but it ain't the one you're thinking of.
16 players opted out because most were headed to the portal or the draft. They were protecting themselves. I dont agree with it or like it but it is what it is and it is hardly worth getting worked up about. They dont want to play in the dot com bowl, who cares. Yea A&M played with 55 because our head coach was fired, quite the outlier situation.
NewEra2023
AG
Haleyscomet50 said:

First team to go all in on recruits and transfers. If they win it all this year it will change the game forever. If they flame out and don't win it all maybe it will pump the breaks on spending. Spending big on next years class as well so will see.

First? Texas is doing the same thing at that level or higher. Ole Miss is but mainly in the portal.
TMartin

If you want to know how much OSU spent on football just ask Nick Saban who is the absolute authority on what other teams spend. However, don't ask his lordship about Alabama.
infinity ag
General Jack D. Ripper said:

Ask yourself whether your interest in Aggie football has gone up or down since NIL started.

I have been a rabid Aggie fan ever since my first game as a freshman. I thought college football was the greatest sport. However, my interest has waned considerably since NIL. New stories like this will only accelerate my disinterest. So, no it's not sustainable.

NIL will kill College FB. It will be a pro league if not already. Mercenary players.
ashley
He must have read Jackie's playbook.
ashley
Faustus
rootube said:

This is the most short sighted, damaging solution to a problem that has ever been devised.

Wow. That's a hell of a summary when the problem,as you put it, is that players need an accountant. This actually seems like an incredibly easy and solvable problem to me. Has the world run out of accountants? We graduate a few every year last time I checked.

I think the scenario requires no accountants, the money wasted, and the government punishing the players for failure to pay taxes. Using the money to better their lives or enjoy it as they please isn't much of a cautionary tale without the tax fraud or the possibility that they end up broke like they would have been without NIL.
dixichkn
AG
Kill it? It's already dead. And it's not so much the NIL because as already mentioned, most schools have had their teams on payroll for decades. It's the portal that's ultimately gonna be the last straw with most fans. I grew up loving A&M because of guys like Simonini and Woodard and Curtis Dickey and Jacob Green. Those guys WERE A&M in a young man's eyes. Hard to build lasting interest in a bunch of fly-by-night money hoors. It really is the NFL anymore…….except the NFL has more stability and continuity. Sadly.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

Kill it? It's already dead.

Yawn. College football is still more popular than anything other than nfl.

I don't like the nearly unfettered portal either, but that's going to be reigned in. But the "reeee, college football is dead" is just histrionics.
Phoenix1
That's Less than 1/2 of what we paid 1 coach to not participate in next season.
MaxPower
General Jack D. Ripper said:

Ask yourself whether your interest in Aggie football has gone up or down since NIL started.

I have been a rabid Aggie fan ever since my first game as a freshman. I thought college football was the greatest sport. However, my interest has waned considerably since NIL. New stories like this will only accelerate my disinterest. So, no it's not sustainable.
Is NIL your issue or the fact that players treat every year like free agency because of the current rules? I don't think NIL is bad but they need to do something to address players flip flopping all over the place because that is tiring.
Lake08
45-70Ag said:

Let's say this is true or the actual number is really close. This can't be something that can be sustained long term, right?

That's a million less than we spent….just on players

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.