Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Scholarship Limits/NIL

1,247 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by greg.w.h
SuperAg09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Do scholarship limits even matter anymore with NIL?

I feel like we could take whomever we want and NIL could pay for all of their expenses. So is the 85 man scholarship limit even a real number anymore?

Are there provisions prohibiting stacking the roster like Bear Bryant and many other coaches used to do back in the day?

Ag_0112358132134
There are no rules, so why not?
wangus12
AG
Quote:

I feel like we could take whomever we want and NIL could pay for all of their expenses. So is the 85 man scholarship limit even a real number anymore?
Can you do it? Sure. Will the players allow you to do it? Doubtful.

Only 80 kids can play in a home game and only 70 in away games. You aren't going to be able to convince a bunch of kids to come to school and then not even get to suit up on Gameday. In todays transfer age, you can barely get the 2nd string kids to stick around instead of transferring somewhere else. You aren't going to be able to stack the roster because those kids are gonna transfer somewhere else to play.
Josepi
AG
wangus12 said:

Quote:

Only 80 kids can play in a home game and only 70 in away games. You aren't going to be able to convince a bunch of kids to come to school and then not even get to suit up on Gameday. In todays transfer age, you can barely get the 2nd string kids to stick around instead of transferring somewhere else. You aren't going to be able to stack the roster because those kids are gonna transfer somewhere else to play.
This.

The #1 goal for all of these kids is making the NFL. If they aren't playing, they aren't going to get drafted. There are probably 60-70ish schools who offer competitive NIL deals and they are going to go to the school that they have the best chance of seeing the field.
AgDotCom
Josepi said:

The #1 goal for all of these kids is making the NFL. If they aren't playing, they aren't going to get drafted. There are probably 60-70ish schools who offer competitive NIL deals and they are going to go to the school that they have the best chance of seeing the field.
I'm not so sure about that.

Driving like a maniac in a parking garage, smoking weed everywhere they go, and transferring / getting kicked off two different teams in two years tells me they feel entitled to cash out now, then fade to Bolivia. They sure as hell aren't hungry. Not all, but many.
agchugger
AG
Probably not, but with the amount of transferring in and out that is going on.. kids transfer in at the end of the fall, go through spring practice and realize they aren't starting or don't get along with folks and transfer back out, you probably COULD pay to get above... but as other said, kids aren't going to come just to sit around.
GigEmReggie
wangus12 said:

Quote:

You can suit up however many you want at home, the 80 limit is for playing in the game. Your point stands though.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
GigEmReggie said:

wangus12 said:

Quote:

You can suit up however many you want at home, the 80 limit is for playing in the game. Your point stands though.

What happens if you play more than 80? You lose scholarships?
2thFixinAg
lets think about this logically. The players with the highest NIL deals are generally going to be the best players on the team. They get offered scholarships by everyone.

The lowest guys on the team 75-85 aren't getting much of anything in NIL. So there best investment is scholarship.

the only way your idea works is if they guys making the most NIL dollars give up their scholarships.

Ain't happening.
greg.w.h
AG
The limits on scholarships could change as part of NCAA President Charlie Baker's proposal but I haven't seen it explicitly addressed. More importantly his proposal to have schools directly handle NIL relationships with students isn't moving forward very quickly.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/charlie-baker-s-project-d-i-proposal-stuck-in-neutral-amid-litigious-quagmire/ar-BB1lN7xv
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.