Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The Heisman Trust is reinstating Reggie Bush and giving the trophy back today

4,564 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by dixichkn
45-70Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Know Your Enemy
AG
About damn time.
dustytool
Good for Reggie
Matsui
AG
Excellent
Know Your Enemy
AG
greg.w.h
AG
In effect by defending Bush Johnny is claiming he caused this transition.
agnerd
AG
Guess I'm the only one that doesn't think he should get it back. He broke the rules, he knew he broke the rules, he decided it was worth the risk of getting caught, he got caught, and then thinks the consequences shouldn't apply to him.

I didn't meet the lofty GPA requirements of one of my college scholarships. I guess I need to start a PR campaign on how I DESERVE to have that scholarship money given to me even though I didn't hold up my end of the bargain.
ObviousLazyRiverIsObvious
Perhaps he'll move in soon?

Know Your Enemy
AG
agnerd said:

Guess I'm the only one that doesn't think he should get it back. He broke the rules, he knew he broke the rules, he decided it was worth the risk of getting caught, he got caught, and then thinks the consequences shouldn't apply to him.

I didn't meet the lofty GPA requirements of one of my college scholarships. I guess I need to start a PR campaign on how I DESERVE to have that scholarship money given to me even though I didn't hold up my end of the bargain.

So you think Johnny's Heisman should be taken away too?

And your comparison is absolute dog **** by the way.
suburban cowboy
AG
agnerd said:

username checks out
AnimalA10
AG
agnerd said:

This, slap in the face to all the athletes who did follow the rules.
htxag09
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

agnerd said:

The comparisons people make are hilarious to me.

It'd be more like your college scholarship having a rule that you can't make any other money but you worked a side job tutoring so they're taking it away. Also, every other scholarship recipient was tutoring for money...but you were the best at it so got paid more. Still not a great comparison, but closer.
Know Your Enemy
AG
AnimalA10 said:

agnerd said:

Just because they didn't get caught doesn't mean they followed the rules. Are you guys really this dumb or are you trolling?
Yellerjacket
Know Your Enemy said:

AnimalA10 said:

agnerd said:

Just because they didn't get caught doesn't mean they followed the rules. Are you guys really this dumb or are you trolling?
Exactly. I think you would be hard pressed to find one who followed the rules if you could look closely enough.
Know Your Enemy
AG
suburban cowboy said:

agnerd said:

username checks out

Not really. A nerd wouldn't have missed the GPA requirements.
rootube
AG
agnerd said:

Everyone acknowledges that the practice of players receiving benefits was extremely widespread. By your logic, you would have to collect thousands of trophies. The fact that the prohibition of players from receiving benefits was illegal in the first place also helps.
PigInABlanket
AG
Oh, so taking money from people is ok even in retrospect? Hang the banner - Texas Aggies Undefeated 1994 National Champs!
Albatross Necklace
Did he kill his wife and a waiter?
StinkyPinky
AG
Awesome. Now Peter Rose's turn.
Hellcat64
AG
Should have never been taken away in the first place.
agnerd
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

agnerd said:

If Johnny had been caught, yes his trophy should've been taken away, too. He decided that the money was more important to him than the chance he could lose the trophy. I will argue all day that he EARNED the right to make the decision on whether the risk was acceptable to him. Same thing with Bush.

Accordingly, I knew that I had to keep a 3.75 to keep my scholarship. I knew that that would be difficult in engineering. I decided that an engineering degree was worth more to me than $7k of scholarship money. After a semester, I decided that being involved in campus life was more important than the $6k remaining on my scholarship. I chose to let me grades fall, and I had to deal with the consequences of those actions. I don't deserve the rest of that scholarship and nobody should feel sorry for me and the decisions I consciously made to lose it.

Both decisions involve evaluating the consequences of the actions taken. I guess I didn't try to cheat to keep my reward even though other people were. If I had cheated and gotten caught, again, I believe I deserve to lose my scholarship based on the rules I agreed to. But other than that, the situations seem very similar to me.
Know Your Enemy
AG
So you're OK with breaking rules as long as you don't get caught?
Scientific
AG
Why would anyone get upset at Reggie getting it returned? If the other candidates that year, felt he deserves it or they didn't make a fuss about it? Why would you individually care? It wasn't a performance enhancing act and he wasn't cheating on the field.

Enough pressure was made on the committee from past winners and other candidates. I'll take their input on this over most.
agnerd
AG
Yes. I drive a few miles over the speed limit most of the time.
Ag_0112358132134
agnerd said:

If somebody in California smoked a joint and got put in state prison for five years, and California legalized marijuana one month after the five year prison sentence started, do you think that person should still serve the entire five years for something that is not illegal?

If a slave in the southern United States broke the law by running away in 1963 and was put in prison for life, and slavery was outlawed in 1964 (all of this actually happened by the way), do you think that person should still serve a life sentence in prison? He broke the rules, right? He knew the rules and decided it was worth the risk, and he got caught, right?

Hint: the only appropriate answer to these questions is "no." If your answer is anything other than "no" then you are bat **** crazy and there is no reasoning with you.
bert harbinson
AG
Ag_0112358132134 said:

If a slave in the southern United States broke the law by running away in 1964 and was put in prison for life, and slavery was outlawed in 1965 (this actually happened by the way),

History major?
Ag_0112358132134
agnerd said:

Know Your Enemy said:

agnerd said:

If Johnny had been caught, yes his trophy should've been taken away, too. He decided that the money was more important to him than the chance he could lose the trophy. I will argue all day that he EARNED the right to make the decision on whether the risk was acceptable to him. Same thing with Bush.

Accordingly, I knew that I had to keep a 3.75 to keep my scholarship. I knew that that would be difficult in engineering. I decided that an engineering degree was worth more to me than $7k of scholarship money. After a semester, I decided that being involved in campus life was more important than the $6k remaining on my scholarship. I chose to let me grades fall, and I had to deal with the consequences of those actions. I don't deserve the rest of that scholarship and nobody should feel sorry for me and the decisions I consciously made to lose it.

Both decisions involve evaluating the consequences of the actions taken. I guess I didn't try to cheat to keep my reward even though other people were. If I had cheated and gotten caught, again, I believe I deserve to lose my scholarship based on the rules I agreed to. But other than that, the situations seem very similar to me.

What a stupid comparison. Nothing about you having to keep a 3.75 GPA to maintain a scholarship is equivalent to Reggie Bush being eternally denied a Heisman trophy he rightfully won even though what he did is now totally legal. Your level of irrational butthurt over this is astounding.
Ag Tag
Ag_0112358132134 said:

If a slave in the southern United States broke the law by running away in 1964 and was put in prison for life, and slavery was outlawed in 1965 (this actually happened by the way), do you think that person should still serve a life sentence in prison? He broke the rules, right? He knew the rules and decided it was worth the risk, and he got caught, right?

Hint: the only appropriate answer to these questions is "no." If your answer is anything other than "no" then you are bat **** crazy and there is no reasoning with you.
Slavery had been totally outlawed by 1964.
Ag_0112358132134
Yeah, I got the dates wrong. There was a slave who received a life sentence the year before slavery was outlawed. The point stands.
barbacoa taco
AG
Right decision

now please posthumously strip OJ Simpson's
Agsncws
AG
StinkyPinky said:

Awesome. Now Peter Rose's turn.
Pete Rose should have never won the Heisman in the first place.
[url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qh0MyYgSAQsDxvvIIU3ehE1nf8WWLQEa/view?usp=sharing[/url]
The Dog Lord
AG
Scientific said:

Why would anyone get upset at Reggie getting it returned? If the other candidates that year, felt he deserves it or they didn't make a fuss about it? Why would you individually care? It wasn't a performance enhancing act and he wasn't cheating on the field.

Enough pressure was made on the committee from past winners and other candidates. I'll take their input on this over most.
This is the biggest point really. Not an issue with doing something on the field so who cares now. I get suspending it then (even if it was dumb), but there is no reason to uphold a punishment as rules change. As someone else mentioned, it's like putting someone in prison for 5 years for weed possession, legalizing weed a month later, and then keeping that guy in prison for 5 years anyway.
NyAggie
AG
The Dog Lord said:

Scientific said:

This is the biggest point really. Not an issue with doing something on the field so who cares now. I get suspending it then (even if it was dumb), but there is no reason to uphold a punishment as rules change. As someone else mentioned, it's like putting someone in prison for 5 years for weed possession, legalizing weed a month later, and then keeping that guy in prison for 5 years anyway.
yep.

it isn't like he was caught taking PED's to enhance his performance.

TyperWoods
Thank you Johnny Football for getting Bush his Heisman back.
greg.w.h
AG
AnimalA10 said:

agnerd said:

The assumption shamateuridm creates corruption free competition on the field is very close to universally false. But there is always D3 where the virtue signalers should flee AND be chintzy at the same time!!!!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.