Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Bronzed sabre presented to Greg Hood during SMU halftime

29,212 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 18 yr ago by
lil99chris
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
see the link I provided
Easy92
I was at the game and this is what I saw. The SMU cheerleaders were on the field laying down in the prone position. I think they were doing pushups. I saw Mr. Hood approach them and I assumed he was asking them to get off the field. One of the SMU cheerleaders snuck up behind him and layed down. As another SMU cheerleader came towards him, I remember thinking that they were fixing to do that old school yard trick on him. And that's what they did. 1 Cheerleader pushed him over the other one laying behind him. He immediately jumps up and assumes a defensive posture. I think there were at least 5 cheerleaders in the general area. Then he drew his sword.
schlomo
thats hilarious!
cmag
quote:
In concealed handgun courses, the point is made that the weapon can be drawn any time the permit holder feels that they are at risk of "serious bodily injury", which could be as simple as another man clenching his fist and saying he's going to punch you.

Come the hell on. It was a simple little brawl and he drew a friggin sword. He was corp, he should have been able to defend himself without using a friggin sword, dull or not. That's beyond redicules. Can you imagine if someone drew a sword every time there was a simple little brawl on North Gate. And it was a damn CHEERLEADER.
West Horn
I know it's a male cheerleader and all, but from the photo it looks like Hood would've needed that sword to avoid a butt-kicking. He can't have weighed more than 150.
micahb2002
AG
The queeerleaders certainly have the size, athleticism and numbers on him.

I hope he at least got his A&M degree.

[This message has been edited by micahb2002 (edited 6/8/2005 5:52p).]
AgKJ
AG
Everyone knows that it was Marcus Buckley that cut off Andre Ware's head on the 50-yard line back when he played for TCU.
micahb2002
AG
Of course, we can all giggle at the relative fates of our two school's football programs since the incident.
NOLAraider
In the link provided it was said that Hood was defending the field.

Is it still the school's policy to defend the turf of Kyle field? Are cheerleaders allowed to do pushups.

micahb2002
AG
That was sacred artificial turf.

BRING BACK THE WRECKING CREW!

"I know this: We will get to the point where we'll be awesome – and it won't be very long – so all the people better get their licks in while they can." - Coach Jackie Sherrill after a 47-9 loss to SMU at Texas Stadium, Oct. 30, 1982.

"You're gonna get a knot put on your head today." - Coach Jackie Sherrill to Joe Paterno, Pitt-Penn State 1979 game, before beating the Nittany Lions 29-14.

PJYoung
AG
Quick, somebody pull a saber on NOLA. I think he's making fun of us.

micahb2002
AG
Tards have a hard time understanding why every other school doesn't tear down their stadium, rip up the turf, and assault opposing fans when their team wins a televised game they were favored to win.

[This message has been edited by micahb2002 (edited 6/8/2005 6:38p).]
lil99chris
AG
NOLA, learn how to read.
TXAG1977
AG
There was no stabbing or contact with the sword. SMU cheerleaders kept coming onto the field to flop around and spell out SMU. They were not getting enough reaction so they moved down in front of the ODs to do it and Hood overreacted. The only harm done was to Hood's education and A&M's reputation.
Jim Benson 63
AG
What I have never understood is why Hood did not have backup. Where were the other OD's? Aren't you supposed to watch each other's back? His back was definitely not watched.

If another OD or 2 or 3 had been there on the spot, Hood would never have been pushed down and the whole incident never would have occurred.

What may have occurred instead, however, is that a backup OD would have kicked the shot out of the SMU cheerguy as he was laying down in back of Hood.

Weren't they in the end zone spelling out S then M then U with their bodies?

Also, the sabres are not actual battle tools, they are merely ceremonial, although you could stick someone with the point. A real fighting sabre has one sharp edge for slashing.

[This message has been edited by Jim Benson 63 (edited 6/8/2005 7:01p).]
Dogbert
How often do OD's need "backup?"
savagesix83
AG
The good part was when six of our fish stole thier megaphone and ran out the north end and past G Rollie with all the male cheeries in hot pursuit.. And then the hundred or so fish that followed. They decided to let us keep the megaphone.

The only thing worse than a poor loser is a poor winner.
micahb2002
AG
I miss the SWC.

BRING BACK THE WRECKING CREW!

"I know this: We will get to the point where we'll be awesome – and it won't be very long – so all the people better get their licks in while they can." - Coach Jackie Sherrill after a 47-9 loss to SMU at Texas Stadium, Oct. 30, 1982.

"You're gonna get a knot put on your head today." - Coach Jackie Sherrill to Joe Paterno, Pitt-Penn State 1979 game, before beating the Nittany Lions 29-14.

Keegan99
AG
quote:

Come the hell on. It was a simple little brawl and he drew a friggin sword. He was corp [sic], he should have been able to defend himself without using a friggin sword, dull or not. That's beyond redicules [sic]. Can you imagine if someone drew a sword every time there was a simple little brawl on North Gate. And it was a damn CHEERLEADER.

When assaulted, a person has the right to defend himself or herself. If another man so much as threatens me with force that I feel may result in serious bodily harm, I will defend myself using whatever means I have at my disposal to neutralize the threat.

I will not assume that because I think I'm bigger or stronger - which Hood was not, mind you - than the assailant, that I need not assume a defensive posture.

quote:

So, what you are saying then is that Hood felt threatened, therefore he was justified in what he did, and it would be justified if it were a saber, handgun, switchblade, etc... am I reading you correctly?

Not only would you be reading me correctly, you'd be reading the law correctly.

What's more, the only judge of what is perceived threat of serious bodily injury is the victim. If I said I felt threatened and brandished a weapon that I was licensed to carry, then that's an affirmative defense in the eyes of the law.

Now, if I actually *use* the weapon and retaliate, that's a whole other kettle of fish and will require at a bare minimum an investigation by law enforcement.

I'd also note that the only potential criminal offense that took place in relation to this incident was perpetrated by the SMU cheerboys.

[This message has been edited by Keegan99 (edited 6/8/2005 8:33p).]
TXAGFAN
AG
Did anyone ever say what happened to this guy?
aeon-ag
the smu cheerleaders were jumping around on the field after a score, hood rushed them and drew the saber, the cheerleader pushed him after the saber was drawn. i was there, the o.d.'s were always told NEVER drawn the saber. no excuse for it!!!
ESPNAg
Hood = Butt of Aggie Jokes everywhere. A&M is still suffering from the image of this idiot.
real men steeplechase
quote:
Hood = Butt of Aggie Jokes everywhere. A&M is still suffering from the image of this idiot.

Keegan's a close second, though.
Cowtown Red
His sword is now considered a memorial.

You wouldn't claim to be 13-0's Daddy if you'd ever seen his mommy
real men steeplechase
Jim Benson makes a good point. While we all know that what Hood did was the act of a complete puzzy, where were the other OD's? If a couple of them were with him, nothing would have ever happened.
How did this go down? Did Hood leave the area where all the OD's typically stand to go confront the SMU cheerboys? It would seem like pulling his sabre wasn't his first moment of poor judgement, but actually his final moment of poor judgement in a Corps uniform.
TorcanoAG2004
AG
Keegan is correct in some respects, but hugely mistaken in others- you are not justified in retaliation, only in protection- what that means is you must continually be in danger of serious bodily injury, it is not acceptable or legal to hit someone back just because they hit you- also, your response has to be proportionate to the threat- for example, as you so wrongly argued, if a person punches you, then you are not permitted to shoot them- the defining phrase according to the law is wheather or not resonable person would find the use of deadly force immediate and necessary- deadly force means anything in its use or intended use is capable of causing death or serious bodily injury- there is no way that pulling a saber on those cheerleaders was immediate and necessary to defend himself
LestatBQ02
everything you just posted is moot...

Hood never struck the smu cheerleaders, he did brandish his sabre...

quote:
there is no way that pulling a saber on those cheerleaders was immediate and necessary to defend himself

It could be argued that is necessary...He had allready been assualted once and he was surrounded by the smu cheerleaders, how was he to know he wouldn't be assualted again?

What you are saying is that after he was assualted the first time, he should have done nothing except wait to be assualted again...

your arguement would make sense if he had retaliated, except he didn't and Keegan noted this...

quote:
Now, if I actually *use* the weapon and retaliate, that's a whole other kettle of fish and will require at a bare minimum an investigation by law enforcement.

real men steeplechase
quote:
everything you just posted is moot...

no it isn't.
quote:
It could be argued that is necessary...He had allready been assualted once and he was surrounded by the smu cheerleaders, how was he to know he wouldn't be assualted again?

Bullsh*t. Hood may have been "surrounded" by 3 or 4 cheerleaders, but he was also "surrounded" by a dozen OD's, a couple thousand CT's, and 50,000 Aggies. He was hardly in danger. He was embarrassed, and reacted about like you'd expect the typical 5 yr old to react when they get embarrassed.

missinAggieland
AG
I find it fairly funny that people feel the need to comment on something that they did not witness nor experience.

Isn't there anything better to discuss?
TorcanoAG2004
AG
according to the law of the State of Texas, one can be guilty of agrravated assault if they merely exhibit or display a deadly weapon- it does not have to be used
jeremy
AG

I don't know about some of you, but I'm glad it wasn't me. I probably would have done the same thing or worse. That would have been very embarrassing and I probably would have stabbed about 30 plus people (SMU cheerleaders, Aggies, and anyone else) just to save face. Then I would have found a P.A. system and said something like, "I will cut the next mo fo that so much as snickers from crotch to gullet!"

Then again, I have a temper when embarrassed.

Aggie Spirit
AG
quote:
1) Hood was assaulted. The SMU "cheerleader" (a male) pushed Hood to the ground before Hood got up and drew his saber. Anyone has the right to defend themselves.

A complete fabrication coming from someone who was about four years old at the time.

Hood initiated the physical contact by kicking one of the cheerleaders while he was lying down.
Tag77
I was there and like many was pointing my thumb down indicating we wanted him to "run him through". We were all disappointed by the outcome.
ABA06
I wish I could have seen that, the story sounds hilarious.
Pigeon88
AG
I witnessed the incident and steeplechase described it best. Hood was in no danger except to his ego. He was embarrassed plain and simple. And his response was to make the situation even more embarrassing.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.