Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Clemson Tailgating

16,668 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 18 yr ago by EMc77
Clemsontyger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Glad to see so many of you had a great experience in Clemson. Living in Dallas, I don't get to go to the games...and seeing all your posts about it makes me hate living here.

GREAT game, and it's a shame A&M and Clemson can't play more often. One thing is certain after our game...we both should be looking at VERY solid seasons.

Go Tigers!

Goose06
AG
A&M's campus is not set up to have the same quality of tailgating. At Clemson there were fields and parking lots everywhere. Not only that but their parking lots were for the most part small so they had lots of exterior spaces on their campus where people could just set up their tailgates right next to a tree. Its hard to tailgate in the middle of a packed parking lot which is what makes it difficult to tailgate like Clemson at A&M. 90% of our parking is in parking garages or in the middle of Reed Arena or way out at Zachary. These people cant tailgate or if they do, they will be alone. The best options for A&M tailgates are arount the exterior of Reeds parking lot and at Penberthy. None of these spots are particularly close to Kyle Field and they are both a very long way away from Northgate. At Clemson they tailgated all the way up close to their bars making it convenient. There are a lot of logistical problems with making A&M's tailgating scene as good as Clemsons.

Now, having said that, I never said our pregame experience is that far behind Clemsons. Its about to fall behind with the ban on Northgate but before that, Northgate was probably one of the best pregame and postgame bar scenes in the country. Getting the backporch ban removed would be a good step in the right direction towards having a top pregame atmosphere in the nation.
Aggie Overnight Celebrity
Our tailgating can and will take off with the Northgate thing. Lot 61, Reed, Penberthy, SPENCE PARK (its free people), behind the Bright Complex the lots around Kyle can all be full now.

We need to open up Simpson Drill Field, and the lots around the dorms for tailgating.

All of that together could accomodate an easy 40,000 people.

And there is absolutely no reason that most of our students should be tailgating in Lot 61, Heep or Reed lots. A lot of our current students are lame and want to stay at the house and drink.

[This message has been edited by Aggie Overnight Celebrity (edited 9/6/2005 10:33a).]
ClemsonTiger
Until A&M allows parking on some of the grassy areas around campus, the tailgating is going to suffer.
houstontexan
a&m's tailgating is starting to take off but we have so far to go to catch up to the SEC and clemson.
clemson_tgr
I am sooo glad you all had a great time!!! The A&M fans are some of the greatest. You guy's are welcome back anytime. There's plenty more beer to be consumed. Go Tigers and Go Aggies!!
JMBanjoman
What is Northgate? I've seen it on this board a lot and especially in this thread but I still have no idea what it is. Is it an area close to the stadium that folks like to tailgate in? I get the impression from this thread that it's going to be closed soon. What's the deal there?
Northgate is our bar district. It has approximately 23 bars in a two block area just on the edge of campus. Think of tailgating at the Esso club but much much larger.

Northgate isn't closing, but the the city is trying to outlaw drinking on the streets around northgate due to excessive fighting, extreme messes, and the CS cops being a bunch of ***got ass *******.

Personally, I think this will greatly benefit our "true" tailgating scene because it will drive 15,000-20,000 fans that get smashed on Northgate to start tailgating in the regular parking lots.
jmtamu
quote:
Northgate isn't closing, but the the city is trying to outlaw drinking on the streets around northgate due to excessive fighting, extreme messes, and the CS cops being a bunch of ***got ass *******.

LMAO. How very true!

Clemson just blows us away with the tailgating. I thought we tailgated until I saw what true tailgaters are like. It was mindblowing.

The thing I really liked was walking through the student center drinking beer. Later we chugged about 4-5 beers each right outside the stadium in clear view of the cops and they were totally cool. No BS public intox tickets like the douchebag CSPD would be trying to hand out.

[This message has been edited by jmtamu (edited 9/6/2005 2:47p).]
Aggie
AG
I was very impressed with the Clemson tailgate scene...the best by far I have ever seen.
I agree however that Clemson in set up better than we are as far as tailgate..they had alot of small grassy lots with huge trees surrounding them..that makes good tailgating..who the hell wants to tailgate smack in the middle of one of the Reed lots with the sun beaming off the parking lot making it feel about 150 degrees.
when you have a tailgate canopy, it isn't that hot... plus people tailgate on the grass, not on the asphalt.
EMc77
AG
^
|
|
|

Many did tailgate on grass, but there were tailgaters on parking lots as well. Cannot argue that they have a great setup there.

Will argue that the canopies will not make up for the 10 degree difference in CS temps in Sept vs Clemson temps. I sat out all afternoon without a cover and laughed as people were huddling for shade. Big difference there.

I think the A&M tailgating will grow, but I don't want to loose the other part of our atmosphere for people partying until just before game and not partaking in the MSC, march-in, etc. Remember, we don't have to be exactly like the other schools. IMHO......

edit- I would hope that other schools would learn about treating as well as apparently we did our Clemson visitors and vice versa. Every tailgater I came across was great. Several stopped us to make sure were had had a good time, etc. Can't beat that!

[This message has been edited by EMc77 (edited 9/6/2005 3:22p).]
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.