Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Aggie Band Seating Moving? 06 or 07?

12,166 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 17 yr ago by sc_aggie
The Real Maroon Blood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I wonder which little biatch of an AD/Coach was the perpetrator behind this...
The Real Maroon Blood
AG
Oh yeah, and almost forgot...and a former Aggie Bandsman, I'm tempted to drive to Dallas and tell Kevin where he can stick this idea. The Big XII has no business telling us where we can seat the band. If they can, then I demand that the sips start selling more visitor seats...since to me, THAT is more of a violation. For the life of me, I'm trying to think of the teams that DON'T have their bands behind the visitor bench. K-State, Okla State, and Colorado are the only ones I can think of... I know for sure that the rest of the Big XII South seats their bands there.

THIS IS RI-F'ING-DICULOUS.

BQ (B-BATT) '99

[This message has been edited by The Real Maroon Blood (edited 7/27/2006 8:26p).]
flaggie
Weiberg must be from one of those lesser fortunate schools that places their band over in a corner.

One Southwest Conference band director of the (Adams) era reportedly said "I dread going against the Aggie Band...It takes two weeks to recover from the trauma."

Essayons,

Flaggie
FTAB '69
The Real Maroon Blood
AG
Hey Flaggie, you wouldn't happen to be the same from the "other" board that was the defender of the other Football were ya? lol You were in the FTAB with my father...
chrismaroon
AG
my reply back to Weiberg.

My question remains: Why do we need a "Conference" policy regarding bands? What has happened that required a "Conference" policy? You didn't answer the question.

If a band traditionally sits on the "student" side, which is across the field from the pressbox and home team sidelines, the move across the field behind the home bench would put the band with the alumni and separate them from the student body. Is that your intent? Do you wish to "tone down" the home field crowd to make it more "politically correct" and equal for the visitors? Is it just too tough on the visiting team in the year 2006? What is different from 2005, 1985, 1965,........?

Help me understand your intent, and not "we just don't believe those bands should be located behind the visiting team bench."

Home field advantage should still mean something. That's why they have home and home series. Every other year it comes back around so no one is unfairly treated, as if a band behind your bench could be classified as unfair.

Please, focus on more important things. I know you have them. Officiating comes to mind.

Respectfully,

Chris Caraway
FTAB '88
ranger65
I'm told this rule is aimed primarily at those schools which have no track separating the bands from the visitor bench and whose bands' behavior has been a problem for visitors, including us -- e.g., K-State, Colorado, Missouri, etc. I'm also told we will fight this, at least to try to get exceptions where there is a track.

Someone who talked to Gates today told me he said if he has to move the FTAG, he'll put the Corps where the Band was -- that no way those seats would be for anyone but students and, specifically, students in uniform.
ranger65
Sorry, typo. Meant FTAB.
CanyonAg77
AG
So, instead of fixing the problem, as in arresting the jerks in the Colorado student section, everybody has to suffer? Typical B.S. lazy way out.
ranger65
CanyonAg77. Amen. When all is said and done, why not just enforce the rules that already exist?
The Real Maroon Blood
AG
Well, Maybe Colorado could solve its problem BY PUTTING THE BAND THERE. Maybe if the band had been there, and not in the horseshoe of the endzone then those fans wouldn't have been so close to the bench.

Or maybe they should try to rain in some of the other bands behavior instead of punishing everyone because of a bunch of pot-head dorks in a few schools' bands. Who by the way NEVER STOP PLAYING EVEN WHEN THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO!!!! (sip band)
Texas_Fan
quote:
Our band doesn't play except during breaks in the game. We play after a punt and during time outs. I can't see the band being that big of a distraction to the opposing team.

Now if the t.u. band sat behind the visitor's bench, I could understand needing them to move. That band never shuts up.

The above is true.

I've seen a couple of threads on here about this, one even thinking that this rule was instituted just to punish the aggie band cause they are so intimidating.

The two bands who play and play are the OU and Texas bands. I've never been to OU's stadium, but the Texas band sits inside the 20 at DKR Memorial, so we are already in compliance. Maybe it is about OU's band.
chrismaroon
AG
My email and reply from Dr Gates. He sums it up well and seems like he is in our corner.

Mr. Caraway,

The problem is that at K-State, Colorado, Missouri and one other school
(I don't remember which), there is no track separating the stands from
the visiting team's bench. At those places, I'm told the bands'
behavior has been pretty bad.

I was not present when this was discussed by the Big XII Presidents, and
I have let Kevin Weiberg know that I want to re-visit the issue. There
seem to me to be two alternatives. One would be to enforce current
rules regarding fan behavior. The other would be to measure distance
from the bench to the Band and set a minimum distance. If it were 30
feet or so, we would not have to make a change. If it were slightly
more, we'd just move the Band back a few rows, but not change their
location between the 30 and 50 yard lines.

We are not required to make a change until fall 2007, so we have some
time to try to get this fixed.

If, in the end, we must move the Band, my inclination would be simply to
have the Band and the Corps trade places.

RGates

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2006 8:03 AM
To: Gates, Robert M
Subject: FW: Aggie Band Seating

-----Original Message-----
From: Comment From Home Page [mailto:caraway@consolidated.net]
Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2006 7:29 PM
To: Crawford, Sandy L
Subject: Aggie Band Seating

EMAIL FROM:: Chris Caraway

Below is my email to Kevin Weiberg and his response regarding the band
seating in the Big 12. I think you will agree that we have the Best
Band, period, and the Aggie Band has done nothing to justify its being
moved from the seating area it's enjoyed as long as I can remember. Is
this being done for financial reasons because of the location of the
seats, or is it because bands are a distraction to the opposing team?
If that is the case, as long as the band does not play as per the rules,
(when the opposing team is on offense)what is the real problem? Isn't
there such thing as home field advantage? How has college football
survived this long so successfully without this rule?

I'm sure I'm not the only one asking this question. Are we really
getting this soft? Is this political correctness or financially driven?
Either way, it's wrong.

I anxiously await your reply.

Respectfully,

Chris Caraway
Aggie Bandsman
Class of 1988

AB2
AG
Robert Gates is a smart, smart man.
HollywoodBQ
AG
I'll buy Gates recommendation for a minimum distance. I've sat right behind the Colorado bench before in Boulder and there's very little area between the sidelines and the stands.

I'd rather have the Band and the Corps trade places than see those prime seats given up to the next round of greedy money grabbing activities at Kyle Field.
CarbonCopy
"Now if the t.u. band sat behind the visitor's bench, I could understand needing them to move. That band never shuts up."

"Or maybe they should try to rain in some of the other bands behavior instead of punishing everyone because of a bunch of pot-head dorks in a few schools' bands. Who by the way NEVER STOP PLAYING EVEN WHEN THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO!!!! (sip band)"

What's the point of having the band at a football game if they don't play? The Longhorn Band plays quite a bit during games, but never when the band is not supposed to.

Of course, at a football game, it should be the teams that decide the outcome of the game. If the band can get the entire stadium pumped up and into the game, good for them, but they don't need to be right behind the opposing bench to do that. In fact, bands would be more effective in the end zones, where more of the stadium could hear them.
Dave Robicheaux
AG
geez
sc_aggie
AG
Its almost like the NCAA wants to take away all the home field advantages, next it will be the students sections moved! Who cares if they cant hear, after getting to stand on the field for 2 games this year, I could barely hear due to the crowd noise and I was not near the band. Have to love Kyle and our atmosphere! The NCAA is getting ridiculous!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.