Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

In case you are asked, "Was Reveille I Special To The Corps?"

3,385 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by Rex Racer
bqce
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Will - if you want to stick to tradition, all of our Reveilles would have to be retrieved from a ditch after being hit by a car.
sworksrider85
How about a bull mastiff, those things are huge.
I saw one at the Houston dog show that weighed in at a fighting weight of 195lbs.

Better yet a Yellow Lab. Just imagine our mascot walking up and instead of barking at the opposing mascot, she just licks them to death. I love Labs btw.

Mashing the pedals in anger.
BCOBQ98
AG
fossil_ag,

Sure you noticed but in the pic you posted it looks like that is a zip sleeping on the floor?

Don't know why I'd sleep on the floor (I know it's tradition) but when my dog was alive she liked to sleep with me in the bed but wouldn't sleep on the bed alone...
JCRiley09
AG

the logo in this pic is allsome!
ashleyschaeffer
Count me as another one that has wanted a mutt for as long as I can remember. Not a fan of the Collie at all...

As for where you can pick up a mixed breed, the shelter is right down the street. Every two years rescue a dog from a shelter, at the end of those two years adopt it out to a good Ag family. You get your mixed breed, and for those of you who care about marketing and publicity...there's more than enough there for you too.
rilloaggie
AG
fossil, I Thought that rev III was the first collie. I may be wrong but rev II was a Shetland shepard.

(edit: did more research, Not wrong.)

[This message has been edited by rilloaggie (edited 8/15/2007 9:05a).]
Capitol Ag
AG

I have a question about that logo. How old is this pic? I thought we did not get the "TAM" logo until the late 60's. If Rev I died in '44, and this pic is authentic, that would be the oldest example of a "TAM" logo I have seen. Can any 'ol Ags out there verify this?

[This message has been edited by Capitol Ag (edited 8/15/2007 9:10a).]
ColoradoMooseHerd
PRO-MUTT
McJulie-O
AG
Also Pro Mutt.
fossil_ag
AG
The heart of the Legend of Reveille I is that the original Rev was not chosen by a committee or the student body to be a mascot. In the 1930s, just like today, agreement of a majority on a particular canine breed or appearance or attitude would be impossible. The secret of Reveille I is that she chose the Corps.

From all we know about the original Rev, she alone had the attitude, personality, vitality, and an apparent instantaneous love for everything Aggie that appealed to every student in those Depression era days on the A&M campus. Most of those students then cam from rural backgrounds and probably none had ever seen a pedigreed dog ... Rev probably had the personal qualities of their own pup back home.

Reveille I spent 14 years of her life on campus. University Archives has no photos of Rev in her younger years to permit us to judge how she interacted with the student body. The photos I have seen are in the later years of her life when she had put on weight and her muzzle was white with age. We can only imagine, by thinking back on favorite pets of our own, how playful, demanding, friendly, mischievious, charming and street-smart that little black dog must have been to win by personality alone the hearts of the entire A&M College community.

Reveille I must have been a gifted animal of special appeal to inspire Dr. John Ashston, Class of '06 and member of the faculty, to write this poem on the occasion of her death on January 18, 1945.

Goodbye, Reveille

When "dress parade" once more rolls round
And grass grows green o'er tiny mound,
We'll think of one we'll ne'er more see:
Our darling little Reveille!

Ancestral claims she boasted not:
Poor mongrel waif -- such was her lot.
But campus days were all serene
When homeless pup became a "queen."

In doggie language, plain as day,
Rev warned all canines: "Keep away,
This is my show, I'll search no more;
No other dog shall lead this Corps!"

So when the band struck up an air
We always knew that Rev was there,
For, sure enough, her bark of glee
As good as meant "Just look at me!"

No wonder, then, drum majors said:
"The public watches her instead!
Hows can we strut our stuff with pride
If Rev steps out and acts as guide?"

But best of all, at football game,
When thousands saw her bid for fame,
Rev played big role and did it well:
O how we miss her none can tell.

She pranced and capered, yelped with joy
No lady-dog e'er looked so coy.
Her funny antics, born of zeal,
Won hosts of friends thru sheer appeal.

To Rev all Aggies smelled the same,
Whate'er their rank or whence they came;
She loved them all with equal zest;
They honored her as welcome guest.

But now she's crossed on Charon's barge,
No more we hear her bark at large.
Her work is done, now let her rest:
If dogs have souls may hers be blest!

There will never be another mascot of any specie or breed that can ever replace Reveille I.

I have no problem with the administration's selection of an attractive canine breed to be their corporate symbol. I see no reason to consider a change from what we now have.
MouthBQ98
AG
I wonder if Georgia has these idiotic debates....
SwampFox
PRO-MUTT
SwampFox
quote:
I wonder if Georgia has these idiotic debates

They don't. They already have a cool dog. Meanwhile we are stuck with this prissy long haired frou-frou dog that our own fan base doesn't even like.
BillyPilgrim
AG
That logo is very cool.

Bring it back along with the mutt!
reproag
AG
Thought we already had a new Dogg as a mascot
http://youtube.com/watch?v=l82bbbOlpYs

"You shut your mouth when you’re talking to me" - Wedding Crashers
chick79
AG
I like the mutt idea as well (or at least a more "masculine" type dog)....... seriously, what would it take to make this change? Who is really responsible for the mascot on campus?!!
fossil_ag
AG
CapitolAg ... I do not recall seeing the ATM logo around campus beginning my time in 1952. A maroon Block T, sometime with a seal like thing in the middle with A&M College over the staff of the T. The purpose of the large Block T was to attach it to the side of hitchhike bags to increase visibility when standing beside a highway waiting for a ride. In the 50s and I am sure in the 30s and 40s thumbing a ride was the primary means of Ag student transportation. (I have felt for years that the thumbs up GigEm signal derived from hitchhiking and not some other cockamamy source.) I agree that the logo in the photo is unique ... I had never seen the "and" connecting the A and M before.

rilloaggie ... I think you are correct about Rev II being a Shetland. I was enrolled when II was introduced. If I recall correctly it was smaller than the collies used today. II had a bit of attitude and roamed freely at Kyle Field during games, sometimes chasing stragglers off the field when the FTAB was about to march, but not otherwise outstanding.
(After a few march-ins at games she developed an odd propensity to have a #2 on the field to the consternation of the BQs ... and the delight of the Corps ... and thus came the need for a leash at halftime and no free run of the field.)
Mike92
AG
When I was a kid we had a St. Bernard/Collie mix. It basically had the coloration of a Collie and the size of a St. Bernard. He was friendly unless you happen to be a trespassing dog looking to start trouble. He was definitely tough when he had to be.
Capitol Ag
AG
Fossil,

Thanks for sharing the story and the pics. It is kinda cool to think that the logo has been around that long. And, no bevel either It would make a cool throw-back t-shirt especially with the "and" included.

Isn't there a book about the history of Reveille coming out soon? I thought I heard that somewhere...
Objective Texasguy
I can't imagine getting asked this question.
MouthBQ98
AG
An english bulldog is cool? WTF... Have you ever been around one? They are dumb as a brick, and constantly make grunting and snorting sounds because of their mashed in noses.

What's so bad about a collie? They're anthletic, intelligent dogs, and very people friendly, which is a good thing for an animal mascot.

I wouldn't mind going with a smooth blue merle collie, though. Same dog, tougher look.

A better question is if we should stick with females versus males. ANY female dog is goign to look wussier than a male, no matter what breed or if a mutt or not....they just aren't as blockly and solidly muscled.
fossil_ag
AG
ObjectiveTexasGuy ... I cannot imagine anyone bothering to ask you that question.
Bird Poo
AG
Interesting discussion. Yall think those old Lassie movies had an influence on the breed?

EllisCoAg
AG
quote:
We're all very different people. We're not Watusi, we're not Spartans, we're Americans. With a capital "A", huh? And you know what that means? Do you? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world. We are the wretched refuse. We're the underdog. We're mutts.
Ishmael-Ag
AG
Ranger (a bulldog) was a better mascot than that prissy damn collie.
paula90
Fossil Ag thanks for the history review. I enjoyed the Reveille refresher. Great post.
MW_111
Give me a German Shepard any day. We should have a face of on the field between Rev and the New Rev. Michael Vick style.
E
AG
lets get a black and white sheltie, and name it "schnapps"

thats what I did
Rex Racer
AG
quote:
I have a question about that logo. How old is this pic? I thought we did not get the "TAM" logo until the late 60's.
That picture is authentic. Just because the football team didn't have the aTm on the side of their helmets until the 60's doesn't mean it didn't exist before then.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.