Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Does Tommy Tuberville = R.C.

3,041 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by Our-turn-to-rule
agcatter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No, I didn't forget about Fran's two disgusting bowls. He did a piss poor job. What's your point? That Slocum shouldn't have been canned?
Kentatm
don't change the subject. did you know what you were talking about or were you making stuff up to trash RC?

and no RC is NOT like Fran. He didn't get the $$$ to keep his assistants, he wasn't paid like a top 5 coach, he didn't run out teams that looked completely unprepared and he wasn't afraid to can an assistant coach that wasn't up to snuff over loyalty issues ala Torbush.

RC may have been too conservative at times, he may have made a few bad on field choices, but he was also the best thing we could have had at the time b/c we needed to clean up the program. He also at least could sustain success and challenge for the conference. Also, its not Texas he couldn't recruit against, his problem was suddenly having to compete with OU, TCU and LSU again. He was a very good coach that got dumped on b/c he raised our expectations so high by continuing success post Jackie.
Ags77
AG
My point was that RC or Tommy T would be an upgrade from what we have now.. whats your point?
Kentatm
quote:
Kentatm, get a life. RC was fired and deservedly so.

IMO he deserved one more year to turn it around plus the financial support he always begged for but was only given to Fran once our people realized RC was right and that you actually have to pay assistant coaches too.

anyway, if I need to get a life for calling you out on either lying or simply being ignorant I'm sorry.

Once again, either you didn't know what you were talking about or lied about RCs appearances in bowl games. Which is it?

agcatter
Slocum couldn't recruit against Mack Brown. But you're right he couldn't recruit against the OU's and LSU's either. Uh, why was that anyway? Didn't get enough raise after the 98 season?

He was fired for a reason. He didn't get the job done his last 4 years regardless of how many Gallery Furniture or Independence bowls you want to throw out there.

He was canned. BTW, I was referring to on the field coaching comparisons not off the field VIP newsletter screwups. Of course, I don't think you'd really want to get into Slocum's off the field adventures.

Neither guy was doing the job. One was fired after his shield Wally got shown the door. The other is fixing to be fired. Good riddence to both of them. Time to find someone who gets the job done.
PanhandleSlim
AG
You are absolutely right, Kentatm.

Tom Osborne won his first national title in his 21st year at Nebraska. Heck, it took him 8 years just to win an outright conference title. Meanwhile back in College Station, RC was the 2nd winningest Div I-A coach, behind only Joe Paterno, among coaches who have spent their entire head coaching careers at one school (min. 10 yrs.).

RC was the Real McCoy and hopefully we won't have to dig through too many poseurs at twice the price to find another like him.

houstontexan
Tommy T is the truth

yb
Ags77
AG
Amen SLIM!!!!!
BadAggie
AG
quote:
Tommy T is the truth

Amen.

As for RC, he had enough time for him to get us to a national title game. I certainly thank him for his tenure but we needed to make a change to shoot for a higher level. You don't get there by being complacent.
agcatter
Slim, RC was in the SWC for God's sake. A huge proportion of "all those wins" came against Baylor, Rice, TCU, and SMU after the death penalty. Paleeez man! Give it a rest!
AgsWin
AG
from 89-99 we had a final AP ranking of:
20,13,12,7,8,8,15,nr,20,11,20. If Tubberville is even a slight upgrade over that, I'll take it!
houstontexan
SWC vs. big 12

slocum was a good coach, but he was far from a world beater.

i agree that his recruited severely dropped off and we should have given him 03 to really show how bad it had gotten, but after everything, i'm glad we didn't.
houstontexan
quote:
N0t great, but also they only really got crushed in two of them and were right in it for the others.

Really even in the blowout losses they didn't play all that bad. They didn't come in looking completely unprepared and just happy to be there like we've had in the 2 bowls of Frans 4 years.

moral victories noted. wow.

i agree slocum is a step up above fran and it isn't close. no one's saying fran's better than slocum. there's no argument RC is a huge step ahead of fran.
Texaggie7nine
fran = john malkovich

Think about that one for a bit.....

BallHittinBoy
agcatter = "box of rocks"

RC Slocum = winningest coach in aTm history

nuff said!
JMJLAW
AG
at this point, Tommy Tuberville = R.C. = HUGE UPGRADE!!!!!
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
RC haters suck...they don't take any logical arguement...it's all emotion

RC did more with less then any of his peers

he was whippin the sheet outta tu and to get the recruits, they made massive investments in their infrastructure when they were down....when it was complete, RC (A&M) were light years behind

RC haters don't remeber that our lockerroom was 80 yrs old (with upgrades)...do you think there is a difference in the Bright Center vs under the stadium...cheez
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.