*** 2023 Houston Dynamo FC Thread ***

9,259 Views | 115 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by 1836er
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hector Herrera scoring a playoff goal for the Dynamo. A future too bold for certain TA posters to imagine.
Out in Left Field
AG
Traffic was awful. Just made it to my seat for kickoff!
Phrasing
AG
Any way to watch without subscribing to MLS?
Texaggie7nine
Apple
7nine
Phrasing
AG
When I go to my Apple TV it says $12.99 per month for MLS league pass to watch for Apple TV subscribers.
Out in Left Field
AG
Not an ideal half for RSL. Usually it's Vera with the dumb tackles. Glad took it tonight. I need Chico and Moose in the 2nd.
djmeen95
AG
Let one slip away on the road. Gotta bring some Energy in game 3 and force the officials to either call it both ways or let us shove and hack them to death as well.
Out in Left Field
AG
Not a pretty game but W for RSL! Back to Houston we go!

KCup17
AG
I think this format is so dumb…
DuncanField91
AG
RSL mucking it up. 21 fouls but Houston gets 5 yellows to 3? Home cooking....

And what's up with this format? Say RSL gets a draw and a PK win next week, they advance...without a win and scoring fewer goals. Really strange.
KCup17
AG
The sole purpose is to create "drama" and drive revenue by having more games on Apple streaming. It doesn't really make sense.
Texaggie7nine
KCup17 said:

The sole purpose is to create "drama" and drive revenue by having more games on Apple streaming. It doesn't really make sense.

Well then why not have best of 3 for all rounds then?
7nine
Out in Left Field
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

KCup17 said:

Well then why not have best of 3 for all rounds then?

I agree this is the dumbest format. But best of three for all rounds would put the final on Christmas!

Last year's single elimination format was the best they've come up with and then they had to change it again.
Out in Left Field
AG
Thank you for tolerating me here. A couple more pics from the night.

djmeen95
AG
Great pics! Thanks for sharing.
KCup17
AG
Just need to make it best of 7 and call it a day.
Out in Left Field
AG
Anyone at this one?

With St Louis crapping the bed, the winner of this one gets home field for SKC.
Texaggie7nine
Watching espn app from CS. Woo glad i didnt have to watch that nailbiter.
7nine
djmeen95
AG
I was watching it in the stands on my phone from
Kyle Field. Whew!!! What a win. But damn we better learn to deal with pressure and physicality because KC is more of the same.

Oh - and F this format for the first round.

Oh - and thank goodness for the left post stopping that PK!!!

KCup17
AG
Geez this format is so weird.

Glad to be in to round 2! Been a few years since we've said that!
Dre_00
Every time I think about the MLS playoff format, I hate it more. I didn't like when I first heard it but now, I feel like it's a human abomination. Like Don Garber should be in jail for crimes against humanity.

Anyway, home game against SKC with a win putting you in the WCF. Massive opportunity for a club making its first postseason appearance in 6 years. Would be a big disappointment if they didn't advance.
Texaggie7nine
Got tix for the 26th
7nine
Texaggie7nine
Let's go
7nine
djmeen95
AG
Indeed! Let's go Dynamo!!!
Texaggie7nine
And we kick the cross to ... no one.

7nine
djmeen95
AG
And Coco is Spanish for "where runs go to die"
Texaggie7nine
Ugh. Should be at least 2 more goals. Hope the cold doesn't affect us to much.
7nine
djmeen95
AG
Dynamo win!!!

Western conference finals here we come!!!

jeffk
KCup17
AG
Did not have making the Western conference final on my bingo card to start the season.
Dre_00
Tough ask to go to LAFC and get a win but even if the season ends in a week, a WCF appearance and a USOC trophy are massive and unexpected steps forward.

Not writing off next week of course but would be lying if I said wasn't also very interested in how the club uses this off-season. Do they make big investments? Tweek the roster? Stand pat? Probably have one more season of Herrera playing at an elite MLS level before there's a high risk of his physical decline.
YNWA.2013
In the playoffs, a win is a win is a win. Survive & Advance is the name of the game. So job well done last night.

But holy smokes, are we so wasteful in front of goal. I only catch a few Dynamo games a year on TV and try to go to at least one game a year, so maybe I'm just not used to MLS standards. But Quinones has to be the most wasteful winger I think I've seen. Just chance after chance goes begging. Blindly crosses the ball in the box as opposed to picking his head up and picking out a player. Baird's positioning leaves much to be desired.

Our fullbacks are awesome. Dorsey is a relentless, tireless machine running up and down that right hand side. Loved how he kept trying to get the crowd to get even louder.

Clark is a terrible goalkeeper. I hope Pat Onstad (the best Dynamo GK ever) takes notice and addresses this in the offseason.

I think Bassi had an off game but I've seen enough of him to know there's a good player in there that can be a real engine for our attacking play. Also like Carrasquilla. I think his football IQ is high. These are the two players you build around imo.

Lastly, this team does not get anywhere near the levels of this season without HH. Just a workhorse in the midfield. Sooooo many midfielders jogging and walking in the middle of the pitch and HH must be look around in bewilderment at how much time and space he is afforded. He has been a great addition and just goes to show what happens when you actually go get a quality DP player instead of some of the awfulness we have had in the past.
-FTA c/o 2013
1836er
AG
YNWA.2013 said:

In the playoffs, a win is a win is a win. Survive & Advance is the name of the game. So job well done last night.

But holy smokes, are we so wasteful in front of goal. I only catch a few Dynamo games a year on TV and try to go to at least one game a year, so maybe I'm just not used to MLS standards. But Quinones has to be the most wasteful winger I think I've seen. Just chance after chance goes begging. Blindly crosses the ball in the box as opposed to picking his head up and picking out a player. Baird's positioning leaves much to be desired.

Our fullbacks are awesome. Dorsey is a relentless, tireless machine running up and down that right hand side. Loved how he kept trying to get the crowd to get even louder.

Clark is a terrible goalkeeper. I hope Pat Onstad (the best Dynamo GK ever) takes notice and addresses this in the offseason.

I think Bassi had an off game but I've seen enough of him to know there's a good player in there that can be a real engine for our attacking play. Also like Carrasquilla. I think his football IQ is high. These are the two players you build around imo.

Lastly, this team does not get anywhere near the levels of this season without HH. Just a workhorse in the midfield. Sooooo many midfielders jogging and walking in the middle of the pitch and HH must be look around in bewilderment at how much time and space he is afforded. He has been a great addition and just goes to show what happens when you actually go get a quality DP player instead of some of the awfulness we have had in the past.
Great post. About midway through this season I started watching the Dynamo more closely than I have in a number of years... and to a large extent my thoughts reflect yours; especially regarding how good HH has been and Dorsey's emergence as a driver of play on the right wing.

Regarding Quinones he does seem to waste a lot of good possession, but sometime he makes great plays too. Just needs more consistency in his decision making IMO, which is hopefully something he can improve on yet.

On Carrasquilla, unfortunately, I think we'll be lucky to get one more season out him before he moves on.

To me Clark is more of an enigma. Overall he seems to make the saves he's supposed to, and like last night, he's often good for that one high quality save in a high leverage moment that makes the difference between victory and defeat. Occasionally, however, he makes that one inexplicable boneheaded play that costs us a game, and if a game goes to penalties I don't have a lot of confidence in him being able to steal us a save or two. Regardless, Clark's age, even by goaltender standards, means he's not the long-term answer at the position.

YNWA.2013
I didn't realize Quinones was only 21. Hopefully this staff can coach him up and mold him to a good winger.

And I agree, Onstad needs to extend Carraquilla's contract this offseason so if he does leave we get max return for him. Would love for him to stay for a few years though.

Yeah, Clark is not the long-term answer but there really isn't anyone else on the current roster that can supplant him. Like I mentioned, this would be one of my top priorities this offseason if I am Pat Onstad. Maybe the Cincy GK?
-FTA c/o 2013
Gator90
AG
If anyone is wanting to go to LA for the game, I've got a 20% off Southwest fare code you can use. Save that money!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.