***Official 2022 - 2023 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

141,214 Views | 1911 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by M.C. Swag
shack009
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Would love it if we could get Cam Johnson in free agency. He's the exact type of player we need. Always liked his game when he was with phoenix.
I would imagine he's getting $15-20ish per year and we can't be giving out contracts like that. Doubt he's an MLE guy.
Guitarsoup
AG
shack009 said:

M.C. Swag said:

Maxi+THJ facilitated to a 3rd team and Mavs get Ayton. Think mavs are still trying to move holmes instead but that deal won't become official until July 6th and other teams have more urgent priorities.
Chris Haynes is reporting that the Suns say they are planning on keeping Ayton.

But Mike Dunleavy Jr. also said Jordan Poole would be a Warrior for the next 4 years and then dealt him within days.

Could just be a play to try to up the offers.
100% posturing. They have also tried to trade him in the last couple days in a 3-way deal involving the Suns receiving Tobias Harris.

Maybe they could send Ayton to Brooklyn for Ben Simmons.

Ahh yes. A big man that basically only excels at pick and roll should be at an all-time high value when you don't have a primary ball handler to run the PnR with him.
txagman1998
AG
Naz Reid no longer available.

mavsfan4ever
AG
Didn't realize he'd be getting that much. Welp, back to looking at the bargain bin.
shack009
AG
I could be wrong, just a semi-educated guess. The guy can shoot the lights out, play solid defense, has size and length, and has been in big moments.

The bargain guy that could play well above his salary is Watanabe, in my opinion. Could be anywhere from a 15-25 minute guy who can guard bigger guys like Booker and can also shoot really well. People will sleep on him just because he's Japanese.
M.C. Swag
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
Memphis offered Dillion Brooks 16mm/yr and he said no b/c he wanted 20. Now he's probably maxing out at the 12mm MLE. Stein saying Mavs and Rockets are interested.

He fits on the Rockets better, despite his defense, because he takes awful shots and misses them at a high rate.
shack009
AG
I guess getting him on the MLE isn't the worst, but I really don't want him. That efficiency....
Guitarsoup
AG
Brooks took more shots per game than JJJ.

I'm not sure Kidd would be able to keep him from shooting.

Brooks is actually a career 41% shooter from the corner. If the Mavs can just hide him in the corner on offense, you could build on that. You know his man is sagging off.
M.C. Swag
AG
Brooks would be a substantial wing upgrade and provide insane optionality between THJ, Bullock, Green. He's 27 and in his prime and can actually create his own shot (inefficiently, but still). There wouldn't be much better options available even at $12m/yr.
Guitarsoup
AG
I still prefer Bruce Brown as a total package/team guy over Brooks, even if Brown is a downgrade defensively and isn't as portable size-wise.
shack009
AG
Bruce Brown actually had more defensive win shares than Dillon Brooks last year. I realize that stat can be flawed, but it's something to note.

Also of note: Dillon Brooks had -0.8 offensive win shares last year, and has had negative offensive win shares in 4 of his 6 seasons.
PooDoo
AG
Followill and Cuban on The Ticket with Hardline 3.0 post draft.

https://post.futurimedia.com/ktck/playlist/32/listen-5186.html?cb=1687557425.521614

This is the player Cuban said will remind everyone of JJB.
Guitarsoup
AG
Sorry fellas, you missed out on free John Collins.

Hawks finally dumping Collins.

shack009
AG
Good for them for getting rid of him. Looks like they didn't want to take on salary (THJ) and are going for the tried and true "cap space" asset which definitely never comes back to bite teams. I don't see Trae being an attractive partner to free agents.
Guitarsoup
AG
It gets Atlanta under the luxury tax enough that they could possibly uses the Non-Tax MLE.

They still have to deal with DeJounte, Okongwu, and Bey being FAs next year.
shack009
AG
Jazz have a fairly decent team if Hendricks is what we think he could be and Collins gives them something. Their front court players are Kessler, Hendricks, Collins, Markanen, and Olynyk. Pretty solid.
Guitarsoup
AG
Their defense is super suspect, though. You have no-defense volume scorers in George, Lauri, Sexton, and Clarkson. Then you have Kessler and Hendricks that may or may not be good at defense.

Probably another lottery year for Ainge.
shack009
AG
Isn't the assumption that Clarkson will opt out and leave? Agbaji can be a decent perimeter defender, but I get your point.

Just pointing out that is a team that could win 5ish more games this year than they did last year. Mavs went 4-1 against Utah last year so we better hope we aren't one of those additional Utah wins.
Guitarsoup
AG
Probably opts out, unsure if he leaves. I don't know if there is a huge market for 6'4 185lb volume scorers that don't play defense and shoot under 34% from 3. But then again, Houston has like $60mm in capspace.
NoahAg
PooDoo said:

Followill and Cuban on The Ticket with Hardline 3.0 post draft.

https://post.futurimedia.com/ktck/playlist/32/listen-5186.html?cb=1687557425.521614

This is the player Cuban said will remind everyone of JJB.

Dat stepback tho.
shack009
AG

Lively will wear #2 and Kyrie has requested to wear #11. That seems to bode well. THJ will wear #10 next year.
M.C. Swag
AG
The Mavs are so close to getting Ayton. If Phoenix doesn't move him this summer, he'll be salary dumped next summer.
shack009
AG
Wow. Do you know what we are offering? What more does Phoenix want that is making the Mavs hold off?

Not sure how I feel about this...
M.C. Swag
AG
It's the same deal they've been working since draft night (Holmes+THJ). The issue is the Mavs are being aggressive and trying to have their cake and eat it. They want to shed McGee's contract and retain their under the tax option for the full MLE but phoenix doesn't want to do that (understandably as taking on McGee's $6m will result in like $25m of tax).

The Mavs could make this trade happen today if they dropped McGee, but they'd lose the full MLE. They're still exploring a package of THJ+Maxi that would send them to Philly, Ayton to Dallas and Tobias Harris to Phoenix, but dallas doesn't want to give up Maxi.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I just don't want Ayton at all. Every time I see him play, I think he's severely overrated and would not help us at all. His numbers aren't awful so I guess he has to have decent games at times but I haven't seen them.

Luka couldn't make KP work but we think Ayton is the missing ingredient? No thanks. We shouldn't pay any center or big more than like $8-10 million per year with Luka/Kyrie.

I honestly think Holmes is better for us than Ayton. But I'm admittedly over bullish on Holmes and very bearish on Ayton. I've just never seen Ayton do anything and he would demand the ball some, which Holmes won't. Holmes seems like the perfect center next to Luka and Kyrie.

There is also the issue of Ayton basically not giving a **** after getting his big contract, which he has flat out admitted.

There's a reason why the suns are just willing to dump him for nothing. Do not want.
M.C. Swag
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

I just don't want Ayton at all. Every time I see him play, I think he's severely overrated and would not help us at all. His numbers aren't awful so I guess he has to have decent games at times but I haven't seen them.

Luka couldn't make KP work but we think Ayton is the missing ingredient? No thanks. We shouldn't pay any center or big more than like $8-10 million per year with Luka/Kyrie.

I honestly think Holmes is better for us than Ayton. But I'm admittedly over bullish on Holmes and very bearish on Ayton. I've just never seen Ayton do anything and he would demand the ball some, which Holmes won't. Holmes seems like the perfect center next to Luka and Kyrie.

There is also the issue of Ayton basically not giving a **** after getting his big contract, which he has flat out admitted.

There's a reason why the suns are just willing to dump him for nothing. Do not want.
Ya I hear ya. I think you're being a little overly critical but I get it in a vacuum that Ayton is underwhelming for his salary and potential.

But in terms of on court roster? If we could shed Holmes+McGee's contracts, for Ayton AND retain the full MLE...that's a 'W' in my book.

I think we'll have some movement as we get closer to the 7/6 deadline. I think Nico wants to see what players would be interested in the MLE before making a decision. If we can't sign anyone of note, then I think we accept Phoenix's terms and punt on the MLE. But if a player like Grant Williams or Brooks gives us the 'nod', I think we do whatever it takes to retain the Full MLE and roll into next season with Holmes.

No doors have closed yet. Alot of time for something to materialize.
zgolfz85
AG
I agree with both of you for what it's worth. If getting ayton helps shed a couple contracts, great. if it doesn't, I think he's overvalued. I think he's easily one of the most overvalued players in the league. Ideally, I'd like to add Bruce Brown personally. I'd have said Miles Tuner, but too expensive. I think we'll push for Grant Williams and I wouldn't hate it, but think there are better fits for us out there.
Guitarsoup
AG
Ayton is a PnR only guy. With no pnr ball handler, Phoenix is an awful place for him.

Luka and Kyrie world be great for Ayton
Guitarsoup
AG
M.C. Swag said:

It's the same deal they've been working since draft night (Holmes+THJ). The issue is the Mavs are being aggressive and trying to have their cake and eat it. They want to shed McGee's contract and retain their under the tax option for the full MLE but phoenix doesn't want to do that (understandably as taking on McGee's $6m will result in like $25m of tax).

The Mavs could make this trade happen today if they dropped McGee, but they'd lose the full MLE. They're still exploring a package of THJ+Maxi that would send them to Philly, Ayton to Dallas and Tobias Harris to Phoenix, but dallas doesn't want to give up Maxi.

I think you have to bring Houston in as a third team into their cap space for McGee.

Just tell the rockets that JaVale McGee promises to take lots of low efficiency shots at every opportunity
zgolfz85
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Ayton is a PnR only guy. With no pnr ball handler, Phoenix is an awful place for him.

Luka and Kyrie world be great for Ayton
he also has that cringy 10-12 footer that seems to always go in
Guitarsoup
AG
I'm looking forward to the two centers, two points and Josh green lineup
shack009
AG
https://clutchpoints.com/kyle-kuzma-mavs-cavs-favored-sign-wizards-star

Mavs are the betting favorites to land Kuzma at +200... I just don't see that. It's not like there has been Kuzma-Mavs buzz.

I know he did a lot of chucking on a bad team last year, but his efficiency was quite poor. He's never been over 36% from 3 in a season, and he was at 33% last year. He was substantially below league average in eFG% and TS% last year, with -1.0 offensive win shares.
Guitarsoup
AG
Kuz is awful and I think he goes to Sacramento.
zgolfz85
AG
Just say no to kuz

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.