Is Pop overrated?

6,933 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by superunknown
NowhereMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pop has not won a thing since Duncan retired.

He is an ugly man and an average coach at best, players hate him.
Vinny
I'm sure Pop is one of the best NBA coaches of all time. However, he was also the beneficiary of winning the lottery 3 separate times where a generational talent was available with the #1 overall pick. I think a lot of NBA coaches would have fared very well under the same circumstances. To the same level as Pop? Who knows?

As a Mavs fan I have a hard time giving Pop too much credit as we have never benefited from the lottery. It has only kept us status quo or worsened our pick selection. The Mavs have had to be creative in other ways to build a team. Pop was just gifted a Ferrari on 3 separate occasions. How could he not be successful?
MookieBlaylock
AG
Pop didn't work for the Spurs when Robinson was drafted and didn't even join until the latter half of his career after his major injuries

But thanks for playing
Obi Wan Ginobili
Vinny said:

I'm sure Pop is one of the best NBA coaches of all time. However, he was also the beneficiary of winning the lottery 3 separate times where a generational talent was available with the #1 overall pick. I think a lot of NBA coaches would have fared very well under the same circumstances. To the same level as Pop? Who knows?

As a Mavs fan I have a hard time giving Pop too much credit as we have never benefited from the lottery. It has only kept us status quo or worsened our pick selection. The Mavs have had to be creative in other ways to build a team. Pop was just gifted a Ferrari on 3 separate occasions. How could he not be successful?

Couldn't agree more. In fact, let's cut this top coaches list down for all these losers who had good talent.

Pop-OVERRATED. Tim is boring. Did you see how they lucked into Tony Parker and Manu outside the lottery??? EVERYONE wanted those guys. Everyone kept passing on them because they are smart.

Phil Jackson - DONT MAKE ME LAUGH. Kobe and Jordan? This dude couldn't coach a wet dream. He's a triangle loving clown.

Pat Riley - Kareem and Magic?? And Shaq?? Why did this guy bother showing up to game? Terrible coach.

Red Aurbach - Did they even have indoor gyms in the 50s-60s? C'mon man, Red couldn't coach. There was only like 3 teams back then of course he won every year. Talentless.

This is so much fun saying dumb ***** I'm really enjoying it! Your turn Vinny boy!
Vinny
Let's see. San Antonio's Western Conference finish the last 4 seasons:

2022-23 15th
2021-22 10th
2020-21 10th
2019-20 11th

Yea, that's some stellar seasons right there. Pop is a good coach, and maybe a great one as far as coaches go but he is a non-factor without having great players behind him. I give him more credit as a GM though for drafting Duncan, Parker and Ginobli in the first place.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Vinny said:

2022-23 15th
2021-22 10th
2020-21 10th
2019-20 11th

Great point. EOT.
Obi Wan Ginobili
Vinny said:

2022-23 15th
2021-22 10th
2020-21 10th
2019-20 11th

Yea, that's some stellar seasons right there. Pop is a good coach, and maybe a great one as far as coaches go but he is a non-factor without having great players behind him. I give him more credit as a GM though for drafting Duncan, Parker and Ginobli in the first place.

Great argument. The last 4 years definitely negate the previous 20.

It's also convenient that you fail to name one good coach that meets this "didn't have a star player".

You're a mavericks fan bro. I get it. You got your little pity championship and that's the only thing your franchise has accomplished. You wasted 20 years of Dirk, lucked out getting Luka, and now he's about to leave. I feel for you. It must suck to suck.
Vinny
Obi Way Ginobili...

"Mavs lucked out on getting Luka?" What an idiotic statement

Whatever dude. We should have been able to pick him at #3 which was our original slot but the lottery screwed the Mavs once again so we traded assets from #5 to get him.

Had the Mavs had the same luck the Spurs have had in the lottery we wouldn't even be talking about overrated Pop. Coaching is important but its way overrated, especially in the NBA. If you don't have the best players you don't have a chance to win...period!

Obi Wan Ginobili
StillNotAnAggie
https://instagr.am/p/CwbH3V2Mj04
superunknown
AG
Love how both Ime on the bench and the ref start laughing.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.